vidiot

German/World Cup Gransee

Just wrapping up the final round...

Lot's of wind and clouds and several upwind busts due to flying out of the allowed +-30° cone.

Tony Uragallo finished first overall, followed by Harry Kloska and Helmut Tacke, who only just missed the 90s mark by 0.2s on his second time run and would have finished first overall if not for an upwind bust.

Results online here.
My Logbook

Any theory as to why Benedikt Klees performance gets better in the second round when everyone's performance drops horribly?

2nd jump of Benedikt was more or less near to disqualification (about 30° to target bearing). Benedikt had another angle to wind in comparison to another pilots in this round...

Generally, this competion showed huge influence of the wind on the altitude on performance! Even allowed +/- 30° tolerance is too much for clean comparison of results.

Without disqualification of jumps the winner table must be different to the official results :P But the competition rules are the rules...

Is it possible to see the model of suit used by each competitor on each jump?
Were prototype suits permitted or were they productions models only?

If you click the individual track details for each jump, the suit details and graph come up..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

As Jarno said...

In the future, we want to collect heigth and weight and possibly the area of the suit as well. We see a certain trend emerging...

Any suggestions on how to easily meausure the area of a wingsuit?

And how to transfer the Yardstick-Rule to wingsuits?
My Logbook

It would be nice to organise a competition at some point where only suits of a certain performance range are allowed, to have it be a really fair comparison of skill (and build).

Saying an all-round class of S-Fly, Phantom, Shadow and suits of compareable performance envelopes. And a completely seperate 'big suit' catagory.

For end of November we are talking about organising a Benelux Cup (Belgium/Holland) and it would be nice if we could find some catagories like these for a more fair comparison.
Though difficult, as you have experience, suit size, build, wind conditions... we'd need to many catagories for a true comparison..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Great minds think alike ;-)

Between Mirko and myself we were discussing how to introduce/ add an Intermediate Class/Open classes.

First idea was to limit Intermediate to certain suits and/or (wingsuit) jump numbers and create a new open class where you could do everything: Add weights, change suits, jump prototypes, use FlySigth, etc. and to leave the middle for the rest.

Although we are concerned that might split up the small number of competitors too much...

Any idea on when you want to make the comp? Big events going on in the states mid Nov. but otherwise I'd like to come. (Note to self: Add Anti-Ice device to armwing leading edge).
My Logbook

Any suggestions on how to easily meausure the area of a wingsuit?

Just paint a mesh (mesh size for example 50x50 mm) on bottom (on plastic film), place your wingsuit (without rig) onto mesh and count number of quadrats, closed by wingsuit.

For definition of the wingsuit-classes for a competition you can use wingload - total exit weight of pilot (incl. rig and clothes) devided by wingsuit surface (e.g. in kg/m2).

Just paint a mesh (mesh size for example 50x50 mm) on bottom (on plastic film), place your wingsuit (without rig) onto mesh and count number of quadrats, closed by wingsuit.

Nice and simple solution...not requiring any digital difficulties..
Buying some sheet of vinyl carpet (white/black blocks) should be easiest?
Something like 2x2 meters, should fit any suit (for now:P)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

There are several 'easy' photoshop methods.
But for different suit versions, sizes etc a simple real life measurement like Deniq suggests, will be a lot quicker than takin pictures and resing/cuting/shaping in photoshop to measure.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?