glide ratio control gadget

What you need:

Helmet

Dakota® 20

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30926&ra=true

Bike/Cart Mount

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11411&ra=true

Dove Tail Rapid Connect Adapter with 384PL-14 Plate

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8374.56.76907.0.0/384/_/Dove_Tail_Rapid_Connect_Adapter_with_384PL-14_Plate

Heavy-Duty Flex Arm for Super Clamp

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8373.77460.76891.0.0/237HD/_/Heavy-Duty_Flex_Arm_for_Super_Clamp

See what you will construct...

Respect to one russian inventor...:)

If you like this then you'll love my Reserve Activation Device....

-We attach a skyball-like release to a 750' collapsible spring loaded rod (this rod has an aerodynamically weighted tip to keep it oriented downward regardless of body position and is connected via a curved brace and cable to your reserve pin).

-The device is typically mounted on a jumper's pelvis but can also be attached to unique surfaces such as the forehead or chest for comfort. The connection to the reserve is flexible and allows for creative attachment by the user!

-Around 1500' the skyball release frees the spring loaded rod and it rapidly extenz toward the ground and locks in position in preparation for activation.

-Mere seconds later the tip of the rod impacts the ground and releases the reserve pin, resulting in a timely and life saving reserve deployment at 750' (ish).

-After activation to the rod becomes limp and is easily folded or discarded in preparation for landing!

-Pictures available!!
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

I wouldn't have expected such a response from a guy who made their own wingsuit based on a leather jacket ;)

I know the guy who created this setup and have jumped similar "rhino" setups to get interesting footage.

Its not for everyone granted, but real time (or near real time) data is extremely useful for dialing in body position and for manufacturer test pilots.

You just* need to be aware during deployment.

*use nylon bolts

BASEstore.it

Hmmm, good point. I should cut him some slack. After the stuff I've made and flown I really got no business sniping at it.

Besides, whoever made this is at least trying.

I'd second the suggestion of a mudflap mount though. If I'm gonna fly something radical it needs to be justified by the potential for radical results that can't be achieved any other way, and the info this headcrane thingy can provide can be just as easily obtained by a chest or bellymount with far less risk and it makes more sense from an ideal-glide perspective anyway, head needs to be down in close to mudflap-viewing posture... I just get this visual of the pilot with that gooseneck wrapped around his face or hung up under his chin after looking down and having the relative wind bend it.

Anyway good luck with it, and if it works out, cool!
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I just get this visual of the pilot with that gooseneck wrapped around his face or hung up under his chin after looking down and having the relative wind bend it.

I have one of those heavy duty flex arms, I doubt that relative wind at WS speeds is going to bend it. It weighs 1.5lb though, so workout those neck muscles.

Well, look. From one WS prototypist to another... if you're gonna fly something that radical, BE SURE. That leather wingsuit I made awhile back looked so outlandish because I knew damn well I had zero sewing skill so I compensated by making it 5 times stronger than it needed to be by way of incredibly crude but completely indestructible construction, which is why that monstrosity was laced together out of mostly Spectra. It was ugly, but it worked and I survived it without incident.

Test that gooseneck by holding it out a car window on the highway first. If the maker is European, get somebody to drive at 100+mph on the Autobahn and SEE. Don't just throw it together and bet your life on it... few people know the kind of testing I did before flying any of my more radical prototypes... I made wings and then tried my damndest to destroy them on the ground. I'd stand on part of my homemade suits, grab fistfuls of fabric and then try as hard as I could to destroy them. When it was strong enough that I could NOT make it fail, THEN and ONLY then did I fly the finished product.

Just be careful ok? A friend once warned me that one day someone was gonna die by trying to follow in my footsteps. Don't be that someone, ok? Because he was right. I once mastered the art of high speed exits from an Otter. It was insane but glorious. I was very methodical about it, and lived.

A good friend of mine was careless with a big wingsuit and killed himself against the tail of an Otter much later. And he didn't even need enhanced exit speeds to do it. Just using a bigger suit than I was using when I did that was enough to cause him to unexpectedly exit this world.

The moral to this story is, Think it through.
Please.
-B

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I purchased that arm for something else and it is just a paper weight now.

As you said, they did something and are excited about it. I just didn't want to say anything negative.

As for the Yuri bashing. I am fine with that and would gladly join if he is blabbering on about 'Bent legs' or D/L or some shit like that. He was trying to come up with something to solve the ground speed problem of the GPS. That shows an understanding level that is beyond some rudimentary stuff like this.

My opinion is leave the GPS on the ground and fly your body! 10 jumps getting out x miles(x greater than your range in given wind conditions) away from the DZ will do more for learning than a 50 with gadgets of this kind. Even then you are growing gadget dependent.

Then you have not been paying attention :P. This is blue collar compared to what Yuri wants to do.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3069522

OK this whole two wingsuit-BASE-jumping-Yuris is just too confusing. Yuri (outrager) posted in this thread and you're linking to Yuri's (yuri_base) Z-Device thread.

lurch is referring to yuri_base and so am I.

Yep. And although Yuri_base certainly earns the bashing he gets, I don't wanna see him die with a tiny crane wrapped around his face, either. I wasn't quite sure who I was addressing there in my last post though since nobody has fessed up to being the one who actually made that crane thing yet. I figured the maker would read it and figure out it was meant for him, whoever he is. I should have been more specific but cut me some slack... I work third shift and my brains are well scrambled about this time of day.
-B

Oh, and second the opinion of leaving the GPS on the ground and learning to fly instead.
During the recent Vertical Challenge event I was mildly amused to think that YB would totally lose it if he were there, and that it is exactly the sort of event he will never be invited to because of his attitude. (or complete lack of actual flying ability. Pick one)

Normally I do prefer to fly all-out, but in a flock or trying to do something specific, you fly the way you need to in order to accomplish your purpose... and not only (gasp) was I flying half-shutdown and with my legs bent, but I had to borrow Purple Mike's suit to downshift my wings for a more appropriate and steeper flight range since my daily-driver S-Bird flies too flat for high fallrate vertical formation work and cannot be shut down far enough to be workable for that sort of formation.

Oh, the horror. I guess we weren't really flying, or we were "f-ten-cking", whatever the fuck THATS supposed to mean, since our l/d or d/l or whatever the fuck he blathers on about probably wasn't up to his elite standards.

Still, we had a godawful amount of fun at that event, just ask Scott Bland, who still can't view certain pics of the event without laughing his ass off... something to do with me making an idiot of myself by flying my slot to perfection, except it was somebody else's slot...:$

-B

although Yuri_base certainly earns the bashing he gets, I don't wanna see him die

You better not, otherwise he will accuse you of tempering with his equipment and plotting to kill him!

OK this whole two wingsuit-BASE-jumping-Yuris is just too confusing.

yuri_base AKA veter_ ? ... :D

Search for his infamous posts labeled "Tampering with equipment" and "Is death game legal?" from five years ago, where he accused an entire dropzone of trying to kill him by collapsing his slider when he stepped away from his gear. In addition to that, he threatened to sue the dropzone and individual jumpers for being put on the Bounce Bingo list after his stupid and arrogant actions in skydiving.

That discussion successfully stripped any shred of credibility he may have had and after becoming the laughing stock of the entire international skydiving community, he was forced to change his forum name to what it is now - yuri_base. The name change didnt reduce his love for trolling and idiotic posts though.