skydiverkeith

Wingsuit fun!

I just finished reading your book. It was VERY helpful. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it. If you ever have any questions just give me a shout.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

First ws rodeo AND first tandem flyby this weekend at a King Air boogie. Sooooo much fun!

Congrats on both.
tandem fly-bys...if you're gonna do em' at all...a fair amount of WS experience is needed. How close were you? Was it set up in advance? how were "outs" determined?

Article on FlyBy's..

The dificult thing with this subject, is that you only want people with dedicated practice/experience doing this.
Making an article on how to do it would, much like putting a video on 'how does one do a first flight course' only result in more and more low-timers trying their hand at this.

While I would only want someone with a LOT of experience flying relative to others, clouds, and having experience in distance, judging speed, recovery etc etc trying their hand at this.

Im currently in a writing project where inclusion of this subject could come up. But Im not sure its something I would want to burn my hands on, besides telling people> dont do it with low experience...(for now)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not an article on how to do it. Just good practices, like having a LOT of jumps, having the tandem away from other traffic at chosen fly-by spot, etc.

Just for the people that seek such info pro-actively before carrying out the jump. Nothing can be done if it is decided just on the spur of the moment.

First ws rodeo AND first tandem flyby this weekend at a King Air boogie. Sooooo much fun!

Congrats on both.
tandem fly-bys...if you're gonna do em' at all...a fair amount of WS experience is needed. How close were you? Was it set up in advance? how were "outs" determined?

Not sure exactly how close, and set up in advance. No talk of outs.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

first tandem flyby

How many wingsuit jumps do you have?

Dude - nice you had fun and everything worked out ok but please get more experience before doing such stuff.

I have about 400 wingsuit jumps and I just start thinking about getting some coaching about flying close to canopies.
That might be be "German safety nazi"-style, but sorry - yours sounds like "western cowboy" style.

Learn to fly steady with other wingsuits and maybe jump from a balloon with other balloons in the air to get the feeling for speed differences.
But please get far more experience and proper coaching.

If the tandem pilot has no experience in wingsuit flying he is in my eyes not the one who is able to tell you if it is OK. I've heard tandem masters who were asked if a WS flyer would be allowed to do a flyby and just asked back "Are you able to?" They often have no idea how difficult it is.
Sorry, and so you, as it seems!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

first tandem flyby

How many wingsuit jumps do you have?

Dude - nice you had fun and everything worked out ok but please get more experience before doing such stuff.

I have about 400 wingsuit jumps and I just start thinking about getting some coaching about flying close to canopies.
That might be be "German safety nazi"-style, but sorry - yours sounds like "western cowboy" style.

Learn to fly steady with other wingsuits and maybe jump from a balloon with other balloons in the air to get the feeling for speed differences.
But please get far more experience and proper coaching.

If the tandem pilot has no experience in wingsuit flying he is in my eyes not the one who is able to tell you if it is OK. I've heard tandem masters who were asked if a WS flyer would be allowed to do a flyby and just asked back "Are you able to?" They often have no idea how difficult it is.
Sorry, and so you, as it seems!

Flybys are REALLY easy...
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Until the canopy pilot decides to make a sudden turn because outs were neither considered nor discussed...

If a sudden turn fucks me, then I was too close to begin with and flying with zero reserve...

With a tandem flyby, thre are two others aside from yourself that are at risk when something suddenly "fu**s you." People even with tremendous experience have mis-judged distances or angles.

I'm a TM with 700 tandems; I'm also an AFFI and a wingsuiter. I wouldn't dream of doing a flyby with a tandem because I only have about 75 WS jumps. For the life of me I cannot imagine a TM letting you do this. I wouldn't let you jump with me and my student at your level of experience of 238 jump let alone your 38 WS jumps... Geesh! Doesn't the TMs at your DZ care about their student's safety?? No need to answer, they obviously don't -- if they let you flyby them.

/rant

steveOrino

Maybe the one you tried was easy, or it just went well, or you just got lucky.

Either way, after seeing the responses from some of the higher time guys here, and in consideration for the two other people at risk (one of whom wasn't even aware of, or able to consent to, that additional risk) do you still feel like it was a good choice to make given your level of 'expertise'?

Do you plan to do any more before you make a significant increase in your experience?

do you still feel like it was a good choice to make given your level of 'expertise'?

No, in retrospect it was not a good choice.

Do you plan to do any more before you make a significant increase in your experience?

After the responses I've gotten, no I don't plan on repeating the flyby simply out of respect for other skydivers; although I think it could still be fun for the tm/student at a safer, yet still viewable/hearable distance.

I'm very aware that my level of acceptable risk is well above that of some other skydivers and don't want to ignorantly expose others to dangers I may create for myself.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock