Wings-n-Things

What canopy do you use?

Pilot 150 loaded about 1.5-ish. I've only had it spin up on me once in about 100 jumps on it... and then it just kept flying on straight while I kicked 'em out. Doesn't seem to really care whether you trash pack it or not, opens the same pretty much every time.

Front risers on it are a hoot! The recovery arc is so short that you can pretty much dive it until flare time and get a decent little surf out of it. B|

after soft and nice openings during the 50 first jumps started being unstable (easily giving a fast 180 deg right or left) just after the end of the opening...:Sweird ! and i am not the only one facing this issue.:|
I even had a cutaway after a fast spinning...

:S Any one else has the same problem? I'll be jumping my new storm 135 next weekend, and it's the first time I hear about that!

I use a Storm 135 and have not had any issues like that. Steep glide took a bit of getting used to, but it has a very nice flare.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I regularly jump a Sabre 135 &150 and Nitro & Nitron 150. I like the Sabres for the positive opening and the Nitro/n for the flat glide. Both fly nicely even in line twists. If the Sabre had the glide of the Nitron, I would consider the combo the perfect WS canopy.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Does it happen to one side more than another or does it randomly turn both ways?

both ways

Does this only happen when you pack it or does it do the same thing when a packer packs it?

both.

The symptoms are exactly like as if the canopy had 500 jumps with the original lines...[:/]

tried all kind of tricks to have it right but failed, had the canopy checked by rigger, etc... I already had several emails with our local PD guy in Europe & he advised me to send the canopy back to PD.

Thanks Scott
Patrick de Guillebon

I jump an Electra 150 (semi-elliptical) loaded at 1:0. My canopy is approaching the 1000 jump mark and lately it very often turns a corner wich sometimes evolves in pretty bad linetwists. Looking to get a new canopy now. Preferably Storm/Spectre/Electra in the size range 150/135. I'll keep my Electra and use it for RW jumps since I don't know if I'll be able to sell it anymore.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I've used a Triathlon 135 and a Saber 2 120. Currently use Magellan 120 loaded @2:1. Made by Skylark in Ukraine, it's a 9-cell similar to PD Saber 2. Even at a fairly heavy wingloading, Magellan is a very smooth opening canopy with plenty of swoop in it!

Does it happen to one side more than another or does it randomly turn both ways?

both ways

Does this only happen when you pack it or does it do the same thing when a packer packs it?

both.

The symptoms are exactly like as if the canopy had 500 jumps with the original lines...[:/]

tried all kind of tricks to have it right but failed, had the canopy checked by rigger, etc... I already had several emails with our local PD guy in Europe & he advised me to send the canopy back to PD.

Thanks Scott

I would contact PD (USA) and have them take a look at it if you've gone through all possible causes already. You can send an e-mail to [email protected] and explain your issue and they will instruct you on how to send your canopy back so that it can be looked at. If you need any help, let me know. :)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I jump a VX109 loaded 2.3 to 1. I am now considering getting something else though. I had my first cutaway due to line twist in a wingsuit and at a boogie recently I noticed that I would break off higher so I would be able to open higher than most due to the constraints of what canopy I fly. I do not like openning below 3000 AGL.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I too jump a pilot. I tried a whole lot prior to settling on this canopy. When I bought it I weighed 66 KG and my WL was 1.72 The canopy flew well, opended briskly but always on heading and even when a twist or 2 appeared by leveling my shoulders I could prevent a spinner and kick them out.

Then I got fat. Now I weigh 91 KG. My WL is 2.23 The canopy still flies the same, I do not jump in nil wind conditions and realize I'm heading for trouble but cant afford a new one at this time.

I am trying to lose weight as I'm scared.... and I cant reach my booties on my new V3 to unzip after opening! But I can attest to a wonderful canopy that flys from 0.9 to 2.23 ( my newbie brother in CO all the way to my fat ass on the 104 ) I will be buying another pilot around the 134 mark when I have kids next year in a risk reduction exercise. They are the best wingsuiting canopy on the market today. And the swoops are great at 2.23

You might find this useful.

http://shop.bowlersparadise.com/bowlingballs.aspx?gclid=CPW13rOJ96MCFRN6gwodqWYA3Q

Lurch hit the mark right on 'cept for the w/l.

I already told you, your mom and I are enjoying it quite a lot. She really knows how to polish my balls. :D:D:D
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

Katana 120 loaded at 1.4.

Sweet openings, in fact my WS openings are better than my normal ones.:S

I've recently started jumping a Velocity though, so I have a Safire 119 for wingsuiting.

Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I even had a cutaway after a fast spinning...

Had to cutaway my Storm 135 two weeks ago, due to a high twist that turned into a fast spin...
Could be related to going from an PdF Atom to a Firebird rig though. Because the rig is smaller, it is not as easy to get the canopy in the POD as before...

My buddy Chris Martin flew a 7 cell cross braced at least 10 SF smaller than mine with wingsuits and tried to talk me into it 8 years ago. And as a bonus it does not have those silly hot dogs on the top skins.

That's absolutely true. Chris made every single one of his over 800 wingsuit jumps under a crossbraced 21 cell canopy.

Sabre 1 120 at around 1.6 or so. Sabre 1 is perfect for bigger wingsuits as is still has mildly positive openings, and you can get a decent used one for like $400. With the X-wing i wouldnt want anything opening slower. Nothing id rather be deploying other than a base canopy if I were to uh, lose altitude awareness and maybe smoke it a little low.