KrisFlyZ

Increasing the Popularity of Wingsuits

vitriol's post in the Flock U thread. We can continue the wider discussion here.

In many places wingsuits are still perceived as something accessible to a select few. In most places wingsuits are the exception, not the norm.

There's not many people wingsuiting, while the requirements to start/try are very reasonnable. I mean every DZ has people with 200 jumps who never tried or even considered to try a wingsuit.

On top of that there seems to be some rivaltry between some wingsuit manufacturers, between some wingsuit brand users and between people in different wingsuit disciplines. Nothing good can come out of that.

How about a "Discover Wingsuiting" event?

There coud be cheap or even free first jump courses for people with the necessary experience.

All wingsuit manufacturers could be present (skydive expo style) to show people what they offer.

There coud be load organizers for all kind of different disciplines, so people with some experience can try different things. If those jumps are filmed people could watch the videos in the evening to see what those different disciplines are all about.

And if you don't have 200 jumps and can't try, well some wingsuit manufacturers could bring some tracking suits to demo. Who doesn't like a tracking dive?

Also, give a free jump ticket or two to every wingsuiter that brings a jumper for a first jump course!
Cool

I have a different opinion on some of your suggestions.

I think the wingsuit discipline is a long way ahead of the point where we need to hold a "Discover wingsuiting" boogie. In 2004, even a big place like SDC had very few wingsuit pilots. Go there today and you'll probably find a few people flying a wingsuit on each load. I think that wingsuits are gaining in popularity and every big dropzone has a few demo wingsuits/tracking gear etc.

On top of that there seems to be some rivaltry between some wingsuit manufacturers, between some wingsuit brand users and between people in different wingsuit disciplines. Nothing good can come out of that.

Competition between manufacturers has resulted in a better product for the consumer.