PhoenixRising

"What do YOU want out of a wingsuiting event?"

Flock University is developing ideas for the 2011 wingsuiting season. We have a bunch of great concepts that we'll announce in the next couple of months. But since these wingsuiting events are about having fun - and since at the end of the day, it's the wingsuiting community that makes a wingsuit event a success or not - we wanted to ask what sorts of events would YOU want to attend?

There's the obvious stuff that every event needs (beer, food, etc.). Assume that's all there.

But what themes/goals for an event that would make you really want to attend? For example, should the goal be "flat" bigways, maybe to set state records? To build new 3D formations? Distance challenges? Docking/baton passing? Multi-point flocks? Skills camps for newer wingsuiters? Something else?

Help us come up with something that you'd like to be a part of. The best idea wins a Flock U hoodie.

J-Sho
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

I've only been to the Utah FlockU event, so I don't have the widest perpective that others may have, but here's my $0.02.

Advanced - I personally really like the vertical/3D work you guys have been doing. Adding multiple points CRW-style would be very cool.

Beginner/Intermediate - It seems to me that one of the big keys to more advanced flocking is getting to your slot FAST. Sessions on getting to your slot quickly and smoothly, and especially overcoming, as I call it, "crash-o-phobia" (which slows you down as you approach... stop... approach... stop... approach... stop...) would be fantastic.

Oh and beer.... lots of beer. :)

Co-ed Topless Wingsuit Rodeo Formation.

PM me for my address for the hoodie :P

Topless rodeo jumps with tit docks B|

Seriously, I think that rodeo formations are great! We have been doing a lot of dedicated rodeo weekends at Skydive Spaceland in Houston. So, let me know if you are interested in joining us sometime. The goal is a four way topless rodeo diamond surfing down a puffy on a sunset jump!

Purple Mike

P.S. I also want to see more vertical formations like we did at Jumptown recently!

I agree on the verticals. Had some fun at All of the Above this last weekend.

Word of warning.

Make sure the base knows not to go chasing squirrels.

That burble is a bitch.B|:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What about a event with everything combine. Do a load with distance challenge then, on the next load do a flat formation , then do a load of another flying style. Just mix it up the entire event. Also, Do mixed up contest style jumps through out the day. You could also have a hat with a bunch of different style jumps on pieces of paper. Have someone draw out what type of jump is going to be next. And then top it off with a beer fest challenge each night.

What about a event with everything combine. Do a load with distance challenge then, on the next load do a flat formation , then do a load of another flying style. Just mix it up the entire event. Also, Do mixed up contest style jumps through out the day. You could also have a hat with a bunch of different style jumps on pieces of paper. Have someone draw out what type of jump is going to be next. And then top it off with a beer fest challenge each night.

most events try to be something like that... and usually end up failing at a whole bunch of categories.
I would argue for the exact opposite.
Many events, each dedicated to different goals.

The Vertical Challenge was a blast. It worked well because it was very focused! I can't wait to see more of that.

I'd like to see events that push all flyers out of their comfort zone.

Docked formations!! We really need to explore so much of this new territory! We started really well with a whole bunch of docked stuff in Puerto Rico and Flock n Dock... and then it died off a bit... with the occasional docked formations but no event specifically focused on docked flight. There are many aspects that need to be explored here: foot docks - can we complete that goddamn diamond?, biggest docked line - cmon we must be able to at least get the same number as the atmonauti guys, no?
and anything else along those lines.

Verticals - looking forward to the next Vertical Challenge, as well as potentially a couple training camps leading up to it. We got weathered out that sunday. We didn't get to see the full extent of what we could've done that weekend. We still got an amazing looking formation. Who knows how far we can take this...

Aerobatics - I'd like to see events focused on lots of backflying, taking docks on the back, scary rolls, gravitrons, and generally teaching people how to master all kinds of aerobatic maneuvers. How about a "say goodbye to flatspins" event :). This would require a whole bunch of demo suits of the "smaller" kind, i.e. if someone just ordered an S-bird as their first suit because they didn't know any better and wanted to go big right after their first 30 or so wingsuit jumps, they should be able to demo something smaller (t-bird, Phantom2 etc) and learn how to backfly the crap out of it before trying to kill themselves in their big suit.

Rodeo events! Now this is Purple Mike territory... and Mike has already started this with some awesome boogies I sadly didn't get a chance to attend, but the pictures in Parachutist are proof of great progress there. Docked rodeos, rodeo formations, and my very favorite - rodeos with really good freeflyers. Not just the small 90-pound 100-jump chick that Purple goes for, but reasonably light freeflyers with great skills, who know how to handle the airflow that is presented to them... then we'd see docked rodeos where the passengers stand up and do tricks!

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes. Very good subject for discussion.

I have a feeling 2011 is going to be a great year for Flock University...

I think the actual 'what will we do' is much less important about any wingsuit event, than the group of people and team behind and around the boogie.

I know Im coming to Flock & Dock every year, because I enjoy seeing the same group of flyers again, and jump with a certain group of organizers and people that really made that event their own.
Justin, Scot, Scotty...etc. etc.

Im lucky to also be a part of some events as an organizer, and have grown to really like the fact that certain people link themselves to one or another event, and every year, reform like one big (disfunctional) family.

So in reply to 'what do you want out of a wingsuit event'

A select group of people seem to have a 'me first/cut-throat' approach to who gets to a boogie first and nabs the organisers slot.
Respecting the family that has been building around certain events for year, and playing WITH the community, instead of taking things as a 'us against them' kind of thing......THATS what I hope for..

Justin....(pull altitudes aside:P;))...my hats of to you for being one of the super active organizers who works hard to build the dicipline, and tries to keep things light, fun and enjoyable for everyone.

Build the family...and the cool stuff will follow...regardless if its verticals..docking...distance runs or something else......the family we build at each event is the most important thing...and thats what I hope to see grow more and more...

To the world wide happy (disfunctional! OH YES!) family...

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Being a fly on the wall for the vertical challenge @ jt I have to agree that a focused goal per event had a great outcome, being able to refine and focus and push a goal with good organizers.

On the other end of the spectrum as still a learning flyer myself, I'd love to see skills camps perhaps as a side-bar at an event for new flyers, sure it doesn't produce front page worthy shots of someone trying to backfly or recover from spins, but they are great skills that I know I could learn a lot about :)

How about team based events, set a goal for the jumps/event and have multiple teams compete? docks, vertical, multi-point, rodeos, rabbit chasing, aerobatics, etc...

"What do YOU want out of a wingsuiting event?"

No bent legs.

How many wingsuit jumps have you done with/without bent legs? Seems you *already* got your wish.:P

More verticals, vertical and flat formation mixes.
More focus on docking so we can get towards meaningful competition.
Speed flocks.
Speed/distance challenges are a huge smile.
Expanding backflying skills, backfly flocks, mixed back of all the disciplines.

However; events that focus on one or two of these skills are more productive, IMO.
We've got some distance challenge stuff in the works at Elsinore, as well as mixed format flying throughout the winter.

Like Andreea said, this is a great year upcoming from Flock University!

Hey! Monkey, I had nothing to do with that!

Was waiting for you to chime in. Nope, you are off the hook.

This weekend we were flocking with some nice tempting puffies in the area. So we started joking that the base kept getting distracted like the dogs in the movie "UP". Every time his head moved to look at a possible puffy of opportunity, we thought "SQUIRREL". We knew there was always the chance that if one got close enough, the base would lead the flock in that direction. We had some absolutely fantastic flights. On the flight in question, I was stacked right over the base when he took off to get over the top of one. Even though I knew it was coming, I fell into the burble losing altitude and all my speed. He made it over, I made it through the puffy. When I landed, I told him of getting burbled. He laughed his ass off and said "SQUIRREL"!.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hey! Monkey, I had nothing to do with that!

Was waiting for you to chime in. Nope, you are off the hook.

This weekend we were flocking with some nice tempting puffies in the area. So we started joking that the base kept getting distracted like the dogs in the movie "UP". Every time his head moved to look at a possible puffy of opportunity, we thought "SQUIRREL". We knew there was always the chance that if one got close enough, the base would lead the flock in that direction. We had some absolutely fantastic flights. On the flight in question, I was stacked right over the base when he took off to get over the top of one. Even though I knew it was coming, I fell into the burble losing altitude and all my speed. He made it over, I made it through the puffy. When I landed, I told him of getting burbled. He laughed his ass off and said "SQUIRREL"!.

Now who the hell would do such a thing.... :S:D:D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com