mchamp

Ideal perfect body

Check it out. I've got a new apprentice here and I'm fairly excited to see what this guys gonna be able to do. Get this: He's either a spaniard or mexican guy about 6'4" 150 lbs. Probably the most ideal surface area/weight ratio I've ever seen in any flyer. He won't be the fastest bird in the sky and like me he's gonna have to get used to flying with his arms behind his back in the heavier flocks but he's got the potential to be the slowest-falling human being alive.
-B

Can be hard to tell from just a still flying shot but this is the guy Lurch is talking about, Vicente:

http://skwrl.smugmug.com/Skydiving/Steve-Harrington-Boogie/13556684_VpGEx#988262718_6JVzg

So I finally got to fly with Vicente.
And you know, he didn't disappoint.
Armed with just a T-Bird he pulled a solid 3 minutes, incidentally setting himself a new personal best record. And that was including time lost to a barrel roll, a dive and carving turns. I got a whopping 3:03 cause after that flight I was just too wiped out to do my usual planeout at the bottom. The whole flight was one giant planeout. I'd say we covered a solid 5-6 miles in a wide loop around the DZ.

DAMN!

It was the most all-out flight I've done this year that wasn't a solo. We went to max as soon as we cleared the plane. My Neptune did not even record the exit till I dived at around 11,100 and recorded deployment at 7800. Vicente's Altitrack recorded a peak low of 16 mph which is about right for the way we were flying, probably recorded when he followed my dive and the planeout immediately after.

When he gets ahold of an S-Bird I WILL be outfloated. Every time I backed off my wings in the slightest he'd start to float on me. I could float on him, but just barely. He already has most of the major ninja tricks figured out. My first impression was "Holy crap. I have nothing to teach this guy about slowflight."

At one point I was already flying at about 90%, and employed a combo that got me some climb relative to him that also put me at closer to 95% of my limits, fallrate in the high-mid 20's. He looked up briefly, then put his head down, gave it all he had and actually climbed up to meet me.

Nobody has ever done that before. Not while I was flying that hard. The only time I have ever been outfloated was by a veteran pilot in an X-Bird while I was flying a stock S-6 which gave the other pilot enough overwhelming advantage to catch me.

In a radically modified S-6 I could just barely outfloat the X-Birds depending on who was more tired, and in an S-Bird nobody has been able to stay with me at all no matter what they were flying. And Vicente did it in a lesser suit.
Impressive.

Figuring since I was flying an S-Bird I left the airlocks open so it'd be a bit more of a fair fight. I save closed airlocks for when I need every last bit of flight I can get. In any case it wasn't a true contest since we were both flying dynamically with carves and dives and such, and having way too much fun. Next time I'm closing it all up so I have 100% capability on tap and we'll fly purely for time and see if Vicente can stay with me into 3:30+ territory. Even in a T-Bird he might just be able to do it.

Fuckin' A that was some epic flying. Both of us were so wiped out our arms were shaking for 45 minutes after. :)-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Nice! Do you think 100secs for 1000m is possible? The wingsuit competition site has 11.5m/sec as the slowest fall rate achieved(in the 1000m window) so far.

He already has most of the major ninja tricks figured out. My first impression was "Holy crap. I have nothing to teach this guy about slow flight."

IMO, slow flight is the easiest and most natural thing to figure out. It is also a good sign, we expect the newer generations to be much quicker than us at learning things. With the latest generation of wingsuits, flying for maximum distance should also be much easier than before. Progress :)