markze747

1st Wingsuit Jump Question

Hello all, I am new here and I have been looking around at the requirements for a first wingsuit jump and see that the USPA has a 200 minimum jump rule, but no currency rule.
Most of the wingsuit manufacturers say that you should have 200 within 18 months. I have 308 jumps in 3 years, 160 in the last 18 months. There seems to be no info on the currency of someone over the 200 jump mark but under 500 jumps.
So if you are under 500 jumps do your last 200 have to be within 18 months?
I really want to fly and feel I'm ready but have always been very conservative.
Also I have a friend that wants to start, but has 380 jumps in four years, 125 in the last 18 months.
So should we wait until 500 jumps. We both jump at a seasonal cesna DZ and it is hard to do a lot of jumps in a season.
Thank you for your replies.

Best,

Mark Z

Personally, I don't like the 18 month thing at all. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that what you were doing a year and a half ago has any impact on how current and aware you are now. I doubt that any jumps you did 18 weeks ago have much impact on your performance right here and now.

I would say that the number of jumps you've done this season, especially the last month or two and how current and prepared you are right now are more important than what you did last summer.

I'd imagine lot of people will disagree with that because it's not what is Written, though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Just a clarity point. The SIM posted on the USPA's website provides:

"Before attempting a wing-suit jump, a skydiver should:

a. have a minimum of 500 freefall skydives; or a minimum of 200 freefall skydives, made within the past 18 months, and receive one-on-one instruction from an experienced wing suit jumper

b. completely read and understand all documentation and training information provided with the wing suit

c. have the ability to perform exits and skydive in the deployment position described in this outline before making a jump with the wing suit"

See Section 6-9(C). http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx

So, it's not just the manufacturers making the "within 18 months"...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork