Skwrl

Video from Vertical Challenge

For those who might be interested, the video from the Vertical Challenge sponsored by Flock U can be found at http://www.vimeo.com/14395352

Thanks to Justin Shorb and Scott Callantine for organizing and to Jumptown (Orange, MA) for hosting.

The sixteen people in the formation, three camera guys, two alternates and other friends of the flock had a great time.

Enjoy.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

A Big Thanks to Jeff Donohue, for Editing this.

More thanks to Scotty Burns, Brian Snarr and Justin Pabis for the 4 video angles. Awesome work guys!!!

And to all who came out, THANK YOU. These events are fun to do and BE a part of, But they would be nothing without the flyers.

Thanks to the 16!!!

J-Sho
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

And a big thanks right back at ya!

Huge props to J-Sho and Scott Callantine for organizing. This event was soooooooo awesome! I surely feel like I've learned a LOT from it, and can't wait to do it again. And to think that we even got weathered out for an entire day, and it was still a totally successful event!

Great video, JD! Love it!!

And Jumptown did an awesome job taking care of us and running everything smoothly.

In case there is some confusion about seeing two purple PF wingsuits. I am flying my Vampire 3 with a yellow PF logo directly over the base. Lurch is flying my Phantom 2 with a black PF logo.

Purple Mike

PM, did you really need to clarify that fact??? :P

Nice job on the video and on the flying last weekend! Thanks to everyone who came......

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Wow....wish I could have been there. Due to circumstances beyond my control some traveling has been out this year for me. Missing jumping with you all in the flock and hope to see you in the new year. Play Safe my friends!! Awesome stuff.... keep it coming!

Watching the video again, I hadnt even registered that flyby the first time.
But wow...that looked LOW (horizon way up in the view).
What altitude was that at?

I am sure it was just the Wide Angle Lens on the camera...... ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

This is a "special" wide for "special" people.
We can get one for you, too.

Sweet...does that mean I also should start doing these bellow advised/legal pull altitude though? Not sure I like that idea...

Being cool isnt always cool (or safe)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey just figured I'd pop in here to say
1: Thanks to Mike for loaning me his suit... much to my surprise I finally found a circumstance in which I simply cannot fly an S-bird effectively. The required fallrates for this type of flock were higher than I expected. Way too much suit. I could get to my slot but only with the wings completely crushed down to nothing and Justin described watching me try to hold that slot as looking like I was wrestling with an alligator. So I was unexpectedly unprepared for the vertical challenge since I didn't bring any of my older smaller suits and Mike's Phantom loaner saved the event for me.

2: Props to Phoenix-fly on the suit design. I hadn't flown any of their gear in years and never a Phantom. The P2 turned out to be easy enough to fly and dial in that I had no problem flying it in a demanding invitation-level event right out the door, and it had a surprising amount of power and range for what I would consider a rather small suit. There was a lot more subtlety and refinement in the design than it looks at first glance. Scott Bland gave me a couple pointers for taking advantage of the upper body wing design and when used, those ninja tricks will squirt a P2 across the sky in a surprising turn of speed. Although it doesn't have the nuclear sledgehammer glide and power of a megasuit at breakoff, it had more than enough for my needs in this event.
Needless to say I had a blast. Fun event. We gotta do that again sometime.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

His Altitrack said 1010 feet. Fortunately, he didn't have a long opening with line twists or somthing worse ...

Purple Mike

His Altitrack said 1010 feet. Fortunately, he didn't have a long opening with line twists or somthing worse ...

Purple Mike

I suspect you need glasses. Justin *never* opens low. Being a good example to students and other wingsuiters is *very* important to him. Perhaps you were confusing his freefall time with deployment altitude?

No, Crystal saw it and we showed it to everyone that evening. It was definitely the deployment altitude. It may upset him to see this posted here, but I really am concerned about his low pulls. If he continues to pull that low, it will eventually catch up with him. Then his many friends and family will be left to pick up the pieces.

Be safe Justin and please pull higher. I only post this because you're a good friend that I don't want to see hurt or dead.

Purple Mike

Do you even know who the flyby was past Mike?. He opened at 3000 feet, and you can still see in the video he is just finished opening, brakes still stowed. The flyby was at 2500 feet.

Your wrong Mike, sorry.

Pilot chute out at 2000 feet is legal, whether you agree or not. My pull altitudes have come up typically between 2500 and 3000 feet.

Anyways I'm out. Lots of JUMPING to do!!:)

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits