Heffro1

To Robbie...

yes.
starting base jumping as a marketing move?
what the fuck?
yeah yeah, i know my x wing flies further than my v3, so what...does it fucking matter?
whats this bullshit pissing contest all the time?
huh huh i fly above yuri in a v3.
big deal.
had fun on the jump?

Thanks for building a quality, comfortable, awesome suit. It was totally worth the cost (and the wait). B|

Its not a real fight until someone drops their prices (hint hint ;))... As cool as the x could be, I'm not about to buy another parapack sweatbag for $1500.

This isn't flying, its falling with style.

When I grow up, I want to be just as cool as you!

Yes, truly the epitome and model of maturity and professionalism. Setting the bar to a...special height.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

About time to show power at World BASE Race next year?

I am going to change the new rule to be "Wingsuit need a proven arm release system". To only restrict it to be cut away cables is not right for the future developing of equipment who wants to compete at the race.

However, bitching on internet... it is funny to see how the groups team up like bikers against each other. I like to see flying, and that is what you guys are best at, but to be the world fastest flying human being, you guys have to show up and prove it.

About time to show power at World BASE Race next year?

I am going to change the new rule to be "Wingsuit need a proven arm release system". To only restrict it to be cut away cables is not right for the future developing of equipment who wants to compete at the race.

Nice one Paul :)
Then we'll get to see what happens when the other guy is aware that he is in a race! Yuri is not in full flight in the video segment at the end. Yes, an X-bird will outglide the V3(for person's of same build) but no where near in the manner that it is shown in the video. With the same person flying, the X-Bird will arrive at the opening point of the V3 later and higher. The video at 2:36 shows this difference in flight characteristics.

@Matt: Seems like you only pick parts of what you see around you to fit your beliefs. I emailed you regarding your flights last week(12-Aug-2010), this clearly shows that you are flying just the same as everyone else in the world has been flying for years(2.5x). Not 2.7 for the entire flight including start and landing as the comments of the video claim. The data from those flights clearly shows the flying characteristics of the suit. It is slow(78mph average forward speed for the Eiger flight in thin air and less than 60mph average forward speed over 40 secs for the High Nose jump). I will post the contents of the email below.

Continuing on the speed issue, the landing at Grindelwald is ~950m and ~810m at LB. When you go to WBR, most of, if not the entire flight will be below 950m(is this correct Paul?). The winning average forward speeds from this year are almost 90mph in just under 19 secs.

If you realized that you are the same as everyone else and need all the help you can get(in terms of proper suit for the flying regime) you may have a chance at the WBR.

If you take the X-Bird design as it is today and win WBR 2011, I'll give you a $1000. If you lose, you give me a $1000, deal?

Good luck
Kris

Hi Matt,

If someone has not already told you(regarding "I do not understand why the tracklog jumps up at the start when it should be falling down"), if you are using a GPS unit that has a pressure based altimeter, reading will jump about when the orientation of the unit changes in the airflow around it. If it has a GPS based altimer, I don't know what to say.

Here is my take on your video of this flight and the comment that says that the flight is 2.7 average glide.

I would be very interested in looking at the tracklog, mostly to identify the exit point(if you just email me the coordinates of the mushroom that is just as good). I was able to reconstruct the flight on google earth(pics attached).

I read a lot about this flight when I was still interested in jumping, it was built up to be the holy grail. Most information posted about the mushroom in wingsuit and BASE forums is that it is at ~3200m above sea level(let me know if I am wrong) and means that there is 2300m of usable altitude to make this flight if one reaches the ground at Grindelwald. Google earth shows the landing at 958m above sea level. Based on google earth, I am reading it as the distance is 5.4 km to the river in the camp ground. Your flight was roughly 5.1km. Assuming the 3200m is correct, this makes the average glide for the flight 2.3x and about 2.5x L/D(assuming constant from start until pull time, the tiredness after 2 mins is not taken into account).

The average speed is 78mph on this flight and the LB flight(Is it the redline that you flew?) is an average speed of 63 mph(1095m distance flight time of 39 secs) The L/D of this one is above 2.8x depending on how soon you get into full flight. If tony starts making faster flying wingsuits, I'll see you at a cliff somewhere.

Thanks,
Kris

The data about the Eiger mushroom to Grindelwald that has been posted has always been 3200m exit and about ~2300m usable altitude, if you can earn it. Please point out if that is wrong. There is no way that I can draw a line from the opening point back to the mountain edge in such a way that the distance is 5.4km and in the 3200m altitude range.

The last picture has been cropped so it does not show the exact location of the exit point, both lines(made with the Google earth ruler) start at the same point.

Matts high nose jump.

http://vimeo.com/7181603

V3 of same jump, posted to show the landing area is the same. So, blue line as opposed to red line. The House next to the wierdly shaped mound and the white cylindrical object. Can be seen at the far side of the landing area at 1:08 onwards. This is in Matt's video at 1:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWqUAwPihc

The flight ended in the same landing area as the one from this V3 video. This is why the text regarding the redline above has been struck out.

The blue line is 930m. That makes the the L/D 2.58, 930m flight, 560m altitude, 100m for start, 100m for landing.

Average forward speed for this flight is 930m in 39 secs or 53.34 mph.

I guess skydivers measure wingsuits from what is happening at the base scene. Base is "Formula one!"

Hard to measure what is happening up there in the blue sky, especially when all is flocking with bent knees flying at stall speed. Close visuals and real racing is what they need for the future. And of course profiled athletes who want to fly their products.

World BASE Race is one of these arenas where you can prove your ahtlete with your wingsuit is the best.

World BASE Race is one of these arenas where you can prove your ahtlete with your wingsuit is the best.

We are here in skydive environment... Next skydive-competition come soon - "Wings over Gransee" on 17-19 September 2010.

It is not good idea to attend this event and show time/distance/speed? Just like German workshop prior World BASE Race :P