meekerboy

V3 deployment problems

Hi,

I have heard of a few problems where some jumpers found it hard to deploy their pilot chute. This manifested itself in that the toggle was hard to find.

I own a V3 and whilst I have not had any problems, I would like to hear of anyone else's experiences if they have had some? Did you find the toggle hard to find, was the wing in the way, do you do anything different compared to the V2?

I think the biggest issue with the V3, Stealth2 or any other compare-able 'large surface' wingsuit from other manufacturers, is that you need a relaxed and normal pull.
Rushing, and not making the proper move around the wing (or even passing the BOC, and sliding back the hand to locate/find it) will result in fabric between hand and hackey/pilotchute.

Its just a matter of practice, and in large part the reason we recommend at least 150 wingsuit jumps before flying one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

What kills people, like Jarno said, is rushing and forgetting the basic pull principles taught in a good FFC. To get around large wings, the technique has always been: ARCH, touch your fingers below your rig, bring your hands up to the bottom of your rig, locate the BOC/Handle, deploy with violence of action.

If you do not arch, then you are not going to be able to get around your wing and touch your fingers together. You will, instead, be trying to reach through the wing fabric. The bigger the wing, the more critical the pull sequence.

Make no mistake, though; there are a LOT of people out there who deploy in full flight and don't even bother to bring their left armwing in at pull time (BASE guys for sure and Purple Mike as well). Ultimately, people are going to do what they want, so long as it works for them. Still, the best way to avoid the problem in the first place is simply to go back to the tried and true FFC method.

Chuck
BMCI-4 (among other things)

What kills people,

How many people?

Who knows? Who cares? My guess is the people who have problems with their deployments in big suits care. I have personally witnessed plenty of people missing their handles repeatedly at pull time and resorting to their reserve (at Z-hills). I have also witnessed people doiing front flips at pull time because they bent forward reaching for their handles at pull time instead of arching.

Raise your hand, Darren Kellet, if you are one of the BASE guys who nearly went in because you missed your pull the first time at 300 feet.

Hey everyone ,

Chuck is right. First try was at about 400 feet I reckon but who knows? My one and only ws base jump using BOC. I cannot explain the horrible sensation of wing covering handle, I immediately arched hard and got it on my second and last attempt. Short canopy ride and normal landing. Always use leg pouch on ws base. And practice like mad pulling with minimal height loss( meaning minimum speed reduction during pull sequence) for base jumps, it might save your life.

For skydives the correct hard arch, speed reduction , stable relaxed slow pull emphasizing reaching around and to the centre of the BOC pouch and then moving out and location of the handle is correct. I pull at 4500 always now as I'm getting older I'm getting more scared. I like taking my time and being confident and relaxed during pull sequence on skydives.

Darren

What kills people,

How many people?

Who knows?

I'm sorry, it sounded like you did. Unsubstantiated scaremongering will only dilute any actual point you might have, and it's a fucking plague on this site.

Raise your hand, Darren Kellet, if you are one of the BASE guys

I know Meeker used the BASE pouch when BASEing his V2, I'd be surprised if he went back to BOC with his new V3 when not skydiving.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, this question was directed to the world of BASE. I am preparing to go out bigwall jumping. Its always good to hear what the wider community are doing.

I will probably have to pull in full flight, although it will be much higher for the time being.

Using the BASE pouch I have had absolutely no issues in finding the PC. (I'd be interested in hearing what problems people have had?)

It's still below the wing root so that's not a factor - one thing I do is keep the gripper in hand as I reach back and then sort of flick it up and out of the way just before grabbing the PC. Couldn't say if it actually makes any difference, mind;)

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think its silly that people use their BOC on the V3 or any V series suit. Theres a leg pouch there for a reason, just use it. 100+ base jumps on v series suits and ive never had a double pull or missed pull (knock on wood). A lot of missed pulls in Z-hills, I wonder why... just kidding, tony suits are great and im thinking about getting an s-bird.

For BASE, large surface suits dont come with a special pilotchute pouch without a reason.

For skydiving, no suit or wingsize really warent(s) the use (and additional dangers) of a BASEpouch. Unless you are rushing the pull, BOC isnt any issue at all..

The BASEpouch in skydive enviroment discussion is already available in other threads for those wanting to discuss that..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Make no mistake, though; there are a LOT of people out there who deploy in full flight and don't even bother to bring their left armwing in at pull time (BASE guys for sure and Purple Mike as well).

I always bring both arms in at pull time. I'm usually in a track when I pull, but not full flight. I teach people to arch when pulling, just like Chuck taught me B|

One trick I use to clear the wing is to pivot my wrist and make sure that my thumb is behind the gripper.

Purple Mike