base698

V3 Hacky Handle?

Search Hackey in WS forum and there are numerous hits.

Here is one to save some time,

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1503247;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

You will find a lot of people use a hackey with out having had any issues but it has been implicated in some issues in the past. Will it cause a problem, not necessarily but read up and swapping it off for a different option is easy if you decide to switch

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Ive seen quite a few knotted pilotchutes.
I prefer a freefly hackey, also due to the more secure placement. Having less chance at dislodging it while crawling through the plane, like the retarded special needs children that we are...:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

On a few terminal BASE jumps I've had a knot in the bridle after landing. Pretty scary stuff when you realize why. I'm thinking about using the staging pocket or modifying my stowage technique. How many problems have long bridles fixed vs caused?

Seems like tons of knots happen but who has gone in at terminal from a short bridle?

4000 jumps without a problem, but it still is an added risk seeing the clear iand quite big ncreased number of reserve rides/knotted pilotchutes.

Why risk it?

Reserves have proven to malfuction too. Should I stay on the ground?
The few that have experienced this non-typical malfuction doen't lead me to change what isn't broken....
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

With at least half a dozen peeps landing under reserves just at the events Ive been to, coming down with a knotted pilotchute, Id label a hackey ball/pilotchute broken or at least flawed.

Knowing about a quite common malfunction, and a possible preventive measure but not acting on it is your choice.

Its a more common malfunction than you'd expect.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Its mostly the single attachment point you find on the pilotchute, in combination with the heavy ball.

If a pilotchute tumbles and spins enough, it could potentialy get caught around any model. But hackeyballs have shown to be the thing tangled with the bridle in 99,99% of the cases.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Is it possibly because they are 99% of PC's?

Another question. Who decided the long bridle thing? It seems to me that is a practice that came from BASE when people were doing lower jumps on skydiving rigs. The longer bridles came from needing extra snatch force and the wingsuit crowd picked it up since they were deploying at higher speeds. Seems to me there are all these entanglement issues/reserve rides with long bridles. Have there been groups of people that went back to short bridles to try that out?

Is it possibly because they are 99% of PC's?

Dont know where you jump, but most EU dropzones I see the freefly hackey these days (Id guess over 50%), and as far as I know, no 'entanglement' malfunctions with anything that has the standard double attachment featured with those (or even the plastic tubing, if afixed on both sides).

Just make a loose loop in your bridle, and drag it over the pilotchute. See what happens with a heavy hackeybal vs freefly pud.

The single attachment point is the culprit (probably also the one you had Phish?).

The longer bridle doesnt seem like the cause. Ive seen these happen on the shortest of bridles.
Single attachment point, combined with a weak throw into the burble, and you have a costly reserve repack on your hands..

Two examples:
1 - 2

Lukas Knuttson also experienced a similar entanglement on a base jump if I recall correctly.

This picture by Bo nicely illustrates why the single attachment point + heavy weight of the hackey ball makes for an easy target.
picture
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

What kind of handle did he have? I remember that being the cause when it happened. I've landed with a knot in the bridle before but just on a terminal BASE jump.

If the bridle were staged it would prevent it no matter the handle. Seems like two things have to happen.

1) Bridle gets ahead of PC.
2) Bridle Knots on PC

On sub terminal jumps since the airspeed is lower I've never seen that happen. At high airspeed seems like the bridle would get ripped out.

Check out the deployment here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTEG3fF_0G4

At 2:13 you can see the bridle leading the PC. It's not as exaggerated as I've seen but still kind of the point.

It just seems like fixing both issues instead of just one is the better idea.

With at least half a dozen peeps landing under reserves just at the events Ive been to, coming down with a knotted pilotchute, Id label a hackey ball/pilotchute broken or at least flawed.

Knowing about a quite common malfunction, and a possible preventive measure but not acting on it is your choice.

With Lodi being perhaps one of the busiest wingsuit dz around, I have not seen even one malfuction of this sort.
Perhaps the way the bridle is stowed while folding the is the issue?
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

never had a knot or any problem.
RI makes a lightweight hackey ball specifically for wingsuiters. Looks like a regular hackey but weights less than a PVC tube (which weighs less than a freefly handle).

With Lodi being perhaps one of the busiest wingsuit dz around, I have not seen even one malfuction of this sort.
Perhaps the way the bridle is stowed while folding the is the issue?

I've always wondered if it's really the weight of the hackey that's the biggest cause for this, or something else... like you say, maybe the bridle stowing technique used had something to do with it... or maybe the jumper was doing a really lazy throw - a couple seconds of pilot chute playing around in the burble could easily have that result.

I still have a hackey and haven't had any issues (yet)... but that's only 500-some ws jumps, so rather inconclusive...

I believe the problem to stem from some girly-men lobbing limp-wristed PC throws.

I've had one instance of my bridle knotting round the hackey, and I can confirm that my pitch was extremely effeminate on that occasion.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?