Millstone

BOC MOD

I would like to share an interesting mod I have never seen before. I fly a large wing and sometimes it takes a second or two to root around for the hackie. I don't mind. But a friend has had enough trouble with it that he is has modified his boc. He sewed an overlapping boc so that his handle is located in the center of the rig. He finds that the new position keeps the hackie clear of the wing and is always easy to locate. Anyone try this before? Thanks. Blue skies.

Before a jump, I am anal about my hacky location on my BOC, cause, well im a short fat guy. I always make sure that my hacky is tight against the BOC and doesnt flop around, and tuck my pc deep into the boc. I make sure on the ground, and a few times in the plane, that it is as far forward in the boc as possible agains the corner, so it is as close to my back as possible for two reasons. It is out of the airflow, and has less chance to move around, and its easier to reach. Ive actually had a chop becuase i had grabbed wing with my hackey years ago and pitched, and the hack came out of my hand and flopped under my rig, and wouldnt come out. landed the reserve, and the hacky and pc fell out from between my back and rig.. just my 2 cents..
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

I personally a huge fan of leaving the position of the hacky the same on every single jump. I think it is a bad idea to move it IMHO. I fly a Super Mach 1 which is one of the largest wings out there and I have no problem finding the handle.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I fly a Super Mach 1 which is one of the largest wings out there

That statement is Sooo 2009..;)
I think X-bird, Stealth2, XS and a few other things Ive seen surpas the SM1 in wingsize by a large margin (up to the point where they are almost double the size).

Although I do believe the normal BOC is and should always be accesable, even on the larger designs, and agree with keeping it in one spot (for the avg. wingsuit flying skydiver).

Practice seems like a better fix, than gear-modification..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Practice seems like a better fix, than gear-modification..

Completely agree and I dont like any bridle possibly getting into an exposed position, which miught occur with a central modification, hence corner bridle cover is always tight to ensure no flappage!!
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I lost a friend, in my early years in the sport, who had her gear built "left-handed". All the handles, including the hackey, were swapped left to right. The first two links in the chain of events that led to her death were that she went low, and when she excitedly reached for the hackey, where it should have been, it wasn't there.

This is one of many reasons I don't like the wingsuit base PC pouch.

My 2 cents.

I lost a friend, in my early years in the sport, who had her gear built "left-handed". All the handles, including the hackey, were swapped left to right. The first two links in the chain of events that led to her death were that she went low, and when she excitedly reached for the hackey, where it should have been, it wasn't there.

This is one of many reasons I don't like the wingsuit base PC pouch.

My 2 cents.

I don't buy it.

Surely I am not the only one who after trying some of the newer to the market large wingsuits (i.e. the original Vampire1, etc) has been in a "oh shit, should have went to the BASE pouch instead of fishing for the barely reachable hackey" mood ?

as usual, training and currency are very important....

Agreed. Problem is with pilot, not with gear. Fix technique, not PC location. Fucking with critical muscle memory sequences very bad idea.

To the OP: Tell your buddy this:
Ideal technique: The Wingsuit Reacharound
Touch fingertips together behind pilot. Touch both sets of fingertips to PC pouch. Separate fingers dragging fingers lightly across pouch surface. Fingertips will scrape wing away and put handle directly into hand. No fumbling, just one circular movement. Works with the biggest suits. Master the movement and you will never miss.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Hi Lurch, the guy has many thousands of jumps over forty years and all kinds of gear. I think I'll let him decide where he likes to put his Handles. He happens to like it. I think its a nice idea. But I am not surprised people have different opinions. Thanks for your post. Blues

Oh, well ok, then. The way you described this guy just made him sound like a newbie wingsuiter.
If he's got megajumps then he isn't going to have overload problems such as described by Notsane when dealing with weird handle locations.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Oh, well ok, then. The way you described this guy just made him sound like a newbie wingsuiter.
If he's got megajumps then he isn't going to have overload problems such as described by Notsane when dealing with weird handle locations.
-B

Like Jan Davis?