butters666

GoPro foot mount for wingsuiting

Hi everyone,
A lot of wingsuit footage are available in the net taken from the foot angle, but I could find any commercial mount for the gopro.
could you please share share pictures of your home made foot mounts for gopro hd camera, so I can make my own.
Thanks in advacne.

The headband/mount they have, can easily be attached to an altimeter bracket.
Otherwise, several of the available smoke brackets also are quite easy to 'sticker' with the camera-mount.

Seeing as 99,9 % of BOCs/handles are on the right side, choose the opposing side for your camera mount.
Make sure you use the plastic sticker/mount, so anything trailing/stuck to the mount breaks off (IF it has enough drag).

Unless you are skilled and always spot on in openings, without hasitations (never wobbly or unstable) dont concider going for a mount that could snag your pilotchute and give you a lot of additional complexities over a normal wingsuit jumps.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Are you the evil (666) version of Butters? :)
Shoot mccordia a PM, he has a footmount for his GoPro, although I think he used a smoke bracket and just taped it on there last time. :$

Edit: uhm nevermind... ;)

Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Thanks a lot for you response!!!

The headband/mount they have, can easily be attached to an altimeter bracket.

Do you have any picture of this setup, I can't see how I can use the headband mount to fix the camera on my foot...

Unless you are skilled and always spot on in openings, without hasitations (never wobbly or unstable) dont concider going for a mount that could snag your pilotchute and give you a lot of additional complexities over a normal wingsuit jumps.

Do you recommend a cutaway system?

Are you the evil (666) version of Butters? Smile

yeah! I'm professor chaos :D

Do you have any picture of this setup, I can't see how I can use the headband mount to fix the camera on my foot...

The headband, comes with a plactic cup, which you attach the camera to.
Like the front of one of the head-band flashlights.

You cut the strap that goes around the head shorter, so its just the size of your ankle.

Another thing that works well> take a hot needle, and burn some holes into one of the plastic mounts. Than sew that to a strap/ankle mount.

Do you recommend a cutaway system?

The GoPro is easy to use, and the mounts are plastic, so they break easy.
But a lot of people now start to use metal bolts, and heavy equipment to fix the camera to their head or body.
You want something that breaks away in case of heavy stress.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

...the mounts are plastic, so they break easy.
But a lot of people now start to use metal bolts, and heavy equipment to fix the camera to their head or body.
You want something that breaks away in case of heavy stress.

I would add one point - don't rely too much on plastic breaking when you need it to. I had a ring sight that was the cause of a break line entanglement, leading to a cutaway and loss of the helmet. (If skydivingmovies.com were still up, I could show the video - the camera helmet remained attached to the canopy following cutaway, and it plummeted all the way to the ground, filming the whole way...)

The ring sight itself was attached by a nylon bolt and nylon nut, precisely because I wanted something that would snap off easily if the ring sight became the source of an entanglement.

Bottom line: it didn't, even though should have "broken easy". Personally, I'd have a cutaway mechanism or methodology (even if that doesn't involve an elaborate three ring system, but instead involves a shoe that comes off easily even when you have your wingsuit on).

Good luck.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

This is how Ive done it (attachments), all with mounts and extensions from GoPro. Depending on how your suit is made you may need more extensions to go around the fabric from the ankle to the outside of the suit. I have to use different setups for the 2 suits I jump regularly.

warning: boring video, just to show the view :P
http://vimeo.com/7016933

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I have successfully mounted my go pro using the "helmet / strap" mount by cutting two slices in the side of my shoe and running the straps through the two holes. I'll post a pic later. Here is a video I took with that method.

http://www.vimeo.com/9894547

After doing this, I think it would be better to cut the holes in the back of the shoe so the camera would stick straight up behind me. I do think this poses a greater risk to PC entanglement.

That makes sense. I wondered why it didn't come with a single strap on one side and a clasp on the other. Any ideas?

Try to mount it on a vented helmet that way. They call it the gopro helmet for some reason.

see: http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=29 ... One of the above mentioned helmet mounts is a lace-through strap-mount designed for vented helmets.

Dude...a footmount, with camera on your RIGHT foot?
You serious?

Make sure you're not even in the slightest hint of a track/forward motion, or you'll have a horse-shoe mall on your hands in no-time.
Even on the left-hand side, the pilotchute comes scary close to the foot at times during wingsuit jumps (it dances around the burble a lot).

NEVER use any camera-mount or smoke bracket on the same side you pitch your pilotchute. The opposing side ONLY, and even there, use extreme care in how you pitch, and what your body position is.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?