champu

mudflap mount revisited

it's been awhile since anyone has discussed the plastic mudflap mount idea that Pat Works came up with a while back. I actually had an extra ft-50 laying around so I figured I'd give it a go.

Attatched is a photo of my rendition of it (ignore A&M rigging logo, I bought the rig used) it stays on there very well, I can't seem to get it off the rig while I'm wearing it if I wanted to

comments? experiences? suggestions? accusations of insanity?

/edit: fixed one of the links

I made a couple "mudflap" altimeter holders a couple years ago. They were made out of plexiglass
acrylic plastic that was heated and shaped according to Pat's pattern.
Unfortunatly, they really never worked very well, except in a sit. Any wind blast caused the mount to wave side to side. I would be interested if anyone had success with this type mount.

Any wind blast caused the mount to wave side to side.

Heh! Reminds me of trying to read my wrist alti on some of my early student jumps. I finally had to do ground practice where I flapped my arm and learned to read my altitude while it was moving.

Eventually my alti got more stable. Must be when I bought my own, a different model than the student gear. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

it's been awhile since anyone has discussed the plastic mudflap mount idea that Pat Works came up with a while back. I actually had an extra ft-50 laying around so I figured I'd give it a go.

Attatched is a photo of my rendition of it (ignore A&M rigging logo, I bought the rig used) it stays on there very well, I can't seem to get it off the rig while I'm wearing it if I wanted to

comments? experiences? suggestions? accusations of insanity?

/edit: fixed one of the links

The only thing I can think of is being prepared for it to be missing sometime in freefall. That's true for almost any alti, though; they can get bashed against something when you're not expecting it, or fail for some other reason. But the poly plastic seems like it would be more prone to shattering or cracking off, vs. the webbing-based wrist-mounts.

Do you forsee any wear issues on the webbing? It didn't look like it would have a problem, but I just have a picture.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I was thinking convenience for sit-flying or tracking. I can see my reserve handle past it pretty easily as it doesn't stick out very far. I'm less concerned about it breaking or falling off as I am about it shaking like crazy (being hard to read) or getting caught in a burble. (being pointless to read) It only cost a couple bucks for the plastic and it took about 20 minutes to cut and form it so I'm not too concerned if it doesn't work out.

next time I go out I'll wear a wrist mount as a reference and see how easily and accurately it reads in a box man, tracking, sitting, and under canopy.

I was thinking convenience for sit-flying or tracking. I can see my reserve handle past it pretty easily as it doesn't stick out very far. I'm less concerned about it breaking or falling off as I am about it shaking like crazy (being hard to read) or getting caught in a burble. (being pointless to read) It only cost a couple bucks for the plastic and it took about 20 minutes to cut and form it so I'm not too concerned if it doesn't work out.

next time I go out I'll wear a wrist mount as a reference and see how easily and accurately it reads in a box man, tracking, sitting, and under canopy.

If it works for tracking, that would be sweet. I want something like that. (Or maybe I should just learn to read my wrist one while tracking.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

well, that will always my first concern whenever I change anything, is "how is this new thing going to get cought on something and kill me."

looking at that particular spot on the harness, it's not free to interfere with the three rings or my handles. I'm not sure how any part of my canopy could get down there to snag on that, I plan to run it by my rigger to make sure.

I certainly wouldn't suggest trying it for CRW if that's what you're referring to.