gisellemartins

Future of wingsuit able to fly up?

Giselle:
You keep talking about things you've made up, that I never said.

So I'll keep my answers to your objections simple and direct.

1: Look again at the thread. Nowhere in this thread did I say anything about thousands of years. Re-read every word I've said. Highlight and quote it when you find where I said "not fly up in a thousand of years". Copy it and paste it in your next reply if you can. You will not be able to do that, because I did not say it.

2: I did not raise the point about a dozen years. You did. You told me that
"Anyway if in a dozen of years a wingsuit look like the one in the picture that i put here, i hope u open this topic again to remember u said it will NEVER work!"

Which is another thing that I have not said. And you tell ME I speak "too much nonsense"? You have repeatedly tried to scold me for things I have not said. If we are going to have a conversation and exchange of ideas, I'll need to ask you to stick to responding to the things I have actually said here.

Lets review. I've actually built and flown concrete ideas in wingsuit design, some worked some didn't. But you, who have not done so, tell me that I "seems have no concrete ideas".

I've got, and have made, and flown, plenty of them. They're hanging on my wall, in fact.

So far though, you do -not- have any concrete ideas. If and when you do build some flyable prototypes, THEN you will be able to say you have some concrete ideas.

And if you reread what I have written, I have been treating you with dignity and respect, more than you have earned by your attitude here where you keep telling experienced wingsuit pilots that they are speaking "too much nonsense."

I am not being arrogant. I am telling you the facts that we as wingsuit pilots have learned by experience. We are wingsuit pilots. What we can do is dictated by science and experience. But you keep talking as if your wishes and dreams determine what is possible and thus you are making productive discussion far more difficult than it needs to be.

I don't want to discourage you. Far from it. But if you wish to help us advance the passion, art and science of flight, you must pay attention to what we have done and what we can do, and build from there. So far, you have repeatedly told us we speak nonsense, and this is why you are not being taken as seriously as you wish to be.

I have already taken my dreams, studied the facts, and made real flight hardware from it. And I have repeatedly bet my life on my own judgment when I jumped out of the plane and flew it, and won. If you wish to make your own dreams happen in the air, you must do the same. If you do not listen when people who have already done some of what you want to do tell you "that will not work", you will not survive your first attempt. This is not a knock on you. This is not an attempt to make fun of you or treat you with disrespect. This is a fact.

Again, I am one of the only ones in human history who has actually built such hardware, flown it, and reached the ground alive with the knowledge I gained from it. I am the closest thing to an "expert" that exists in the art of building and flying large skeleton extensions as part of a wingsuit because I am one of the only survivors. One of a VERY small handful of people who has EVER done it, and lived to tell about it. You could count us all without running out of fingers.

Which is another fact that should tell you just how difficult such a task actually is. I quit building and flying such hardware because I love flying so much I wanted to stay alive long enough to enjoy it for many years to come, and if I'd kept that up, I wouldn't be here now.

But the fact is, I imagined it, I built it, and I flew it. And unlike most who have done so, I am still here.

If that is not enough to have credibility in your eyes, then all I can do is wish you good luck, and hope that if and when you fly a suit yourself, you have developed better judgment by that time.

I hope you do learn to fly with us. There are few who dare to dream as you do, and in time I'm sure you could have much to contribute to the flight that is our passion and purpose in life.

-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Lurch wrote:

I could fly better without it. The reason I built and flew it was to see if the kind of thing you want to make could be done. You are not the first to come up with these ideas. The answer is NO.

We know what it feels like and why what you propose is not a workable idea

Again, I am one of the only ones in human history who has actually built such hardware.

I am the closest thing to an "expert"

One of a VERY small handful of people who has EVER done it, and lived to tell about it. You could count us all without running out of fingers.

Lurch u are unbelievable!! as i could say a completely strange person, i really hope dont meet people like u when i start jumping.

U were very agressive and unpolite in your words, and now u trying to be a good boy, no problem i see people like that sometimes in my work.

U always say "us" "we" know it will not work! are u sure every single pilot here have the same opnion as you?

Do u know how many private messages i received giving me congratulations and they agree with my ideas?

Look Lurch i had enough experience with people like u, i wont spend anyone more minute of my precious time replaying your nosense conversation.

Can u please do a favor for me and you and everyone else here?

Stop saying u know everything, were a super hero who flow super machines, that you were super designer and becaue your ideas didnt work nobody ideas gonna work either!

Get a life my friend! learn more speak less!

U take care.
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

Lurch u are unbelievable!! as i could say a completely strange person, i really hope dont meet people like u when i start jumping.

Wrong! You would love flying with Lurch, and having discussions on the ground too. What about my idea Lurch? You know, I agree that a lot is to be said for actually flying, designing, and lot's of experience, however, I think it's best to keep an open mind to everybody, and I like this discussion.
But what do I know?

Wrong! You would love flying with Lurch, and having discussions on the ground too. What about my idea Lurch? You know, I agree that a lot is to be said for actually flying, designing, and lot's of experience, however, I think it's best to keep an open mind to everybody, and I like this discussion.

Oh my hat ! i have never laughed so much at anything on this forum.. hot headed brazilian chick versus veteran sky-god ... great.. so maybe its time out now.. you two Lurch and Giselle go on a date and sort things out.. i will go for extra classes on how muscles work, and everyone else think over your designs carefully till we meet again.. mmmm? ah itz all good..

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

hot headed brazilian chick versus veteran sky-god ... great.. so maybe its time out now.. you two Lurch and Giselle go on a date and sort things out....

I'm in for $100 to fly him down there. But only if the date is on video. :o:S:)

Ok
Here, Giselle.
I'm lousy at expressing myself, my friends do a better job of it for me than I can. If you don't think I'm having fun flying wingsuit, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qNofzikc0

Half the video was shot by brother Jsho, half shot by me. The video itself was made and mixed by brother Spot. Jsho is the red bird, Spots the blue and yellow bird, I'm the blue and white bird making all the noise after I land. :)
If you watch the video you'll get an idea how flying wingsuits makes us feel.

Like I said...some of my homemade stuff worked, some of it didn't. All of it worked well enough to survive flying it, but thats all that can be said for some of my more crazy ideas.

(Psst. Hey. Giselle. I think they like us. Wanna get together for coffee and have a nice loud argument in public? You already know you're gonna win, I shoulda known better than to be all logical and shit when arguing with a passionate Brazilian girl. My bad. ;))

Hey Ed:
You wouldn't happen to be talking about anything kinda like THIS would you? (see attachment)
Its an internally braced wing strut harness intended to fit inside a suit. The sticks with the bolts in them are laminated lexan strong enough to widen my wingspan by about 2 feet. The straps would go along the wrists and theoretically allow you to bear down on the middle of the sticks, and the straps take the load off the arms.

I never finished the prototype. Every wing I could come up with was just too damn big to get a canopy out around without going back to a front-pull ripcord, and with wings that big I wasn't willing to bet my life on a spring launched pilotchute in a burble that big. And if it had turned out to be too big to get a main out, it would have interfered with my reserve, too. Might have been able to do a roll to get clear air in an emergency, but the deployment would have been VERY messy...

The prototypes I DID build and fly that got even close to big enough to fit that setup were so close to lethal even I didn't have the balls to fly anything that big even IF the strut system had worked as designed.

Your base idea is sound, or I never would have tried to build it myself. My problem was that given how hard it was to control a system that big attached to my feet, I figured having something similar attached to my wrists was pretty much guaranteed to kill me if anything went wrong. So it never flew. Problem isn't really making the sticks retractable, problem is controlling all the fabric when it is retracted.

I had a similar amount of fabric on my exoskeletal tail to what was intended for these wing spars, and even when I had the tail retracted, it was a VERY bumpy ride... like, fight for my life, ride.

Giselle: Does this look anything like what you had in mind? Obviously its smaller, but its a step towards what you described.
-B

Lurch wrote:

I could fly better without it. The reason I built and flew it was to see if the kind of thing you want to make could be done. You are not the first to come up with these ideas. The answer is NO.

We know what it feels like and why what you propose is not a workable idea

Again, I am one of the only ones in human history who has actually built such hardware.

I am the closest thing to an "expert"

One of a VERY small handful of people who has EVER done it, and lived to tell about it. You could count us all without running out of fingers.

U were very agressive and unpolite in your words, and now u trying to be a good boy, no problem i see people like that sometimes in my work.

U always say "us" "we" know it will not work! are u sure every single pilot here have the same opnion as you?

Do u know how many private messages i received giving me congratulations and they agree with my ideas?

Look Lurch i had enough experience with people like u, i wont spend anyone more minute of my precious time replaying your nosense conversation.

Can u please do a favor for me and you and everyone else here?

Stop saying u know everything, were a super hero who flow super machines, that you were super designer and becaue your ideas didnt work nobody ideas gonna work either!

Get a life my friend! learn more speak less!

U take care.

giselle, your posts have been very entertaining. They have not been informative or included any real world knowledge but they have been very entertaining. Thanks for the laugh.

giselle, your posts have been very entertaining. They have not been informative or included any real world knowledge but they have been very entertaining. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh Timmyfitz u so out the track[:/]

I dont think the posts i did here since the first one is without knowledge, maybe u have been reading just the funny ones that makes u laugh...

Honestly after all my efforts, time spent, lots of knowledge exposed come someone and tell me this i feel completely frustrated!

anyway im off now

Thanks
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

problem is controlling all the fabric when it is retracted.

What about a window shade kind of thing built into the gripper? A strong spring to hold tension when extended and roll the winglet back in when the rod is withdrawn.
For the arm device, I'm thinking something a little more BatMan like - sleek, light, very low profile for the rod housing and control mechanism.
The best bet is keeping things just like they are at pull time, but being able to extend the wings during flight. When it's time, fully retract the rod, and there you are back with your same suit.
But what do I know?

Giselle,
your enthusiasm is great, and it's a fun (also very funny) discussion.
Brian Caldwell, aka "Lurch" is the only non-manufacturer wingsuiter I'm aware of that has built multiple large (and very weird) wingsuits for purposes of the pursuit of knowledge. In other words, he's put his money, time, and life on the line to learn more about how wings on the human body work. His knowledge is not theoretical. And he's still alive. That's saying something.

Theories are a lot of fun. They provide stimulus for reality. They spawn ideas and efforts. But to argue a theory without an iota nor ability to put forth any effort is a little silly. Condescension towards Lurch takes it from silly to hilarious. If you knew Lurch in person, he's not only incredibly weird, but almost an idiot savant about this particular subject. , right? It would probably be a funny discussion.

I hope you keep the passion flowing. I'm confident that once you get enough jumps to put on a wingsuit and start flying, you'll have an understanding if not repect for Lurch and everyone else here.

At the same time, try to see the humor when someone who has never been inside a stadium trying to tell Edison Arantes do Nascimento how to kick a football.:D.

At the same time, try to see the humor when someone who has never been inside a stadium trying to tell Edison Arantes do Nascimento how to kick a football.:D.

In other words, "you don't know what you don't know?" :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Giselle,
your enthusiasm is great, and it's a fun (also very funny) discussion.
Brian Caldwell, aka "Lurch" is the only non-manufacturer wingsuiter I'm aware of that has built multiple large (and very weird) wingsuits for purposes of the pursuit of knowledge. In other words, he's put his money, time, and life on the line to learn more about how wings on the human body work. His knowledge is not theoretical. And he's still alive. That's saying something.

That would indeed say something if we would see pictures, videos, articles to support these claims..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

That would indeed say something if we would see pictures, videos, articles to support these claims..

To support what "claims?" There are photos/video aplenty of Lurch's effort and experiments. I was present for the Hardcase jump, and there is a video I put online.
Or are you suggesting that I'm claiming Lurch is alive when he is not?:S I saw him a couple of weeks ago in MA, and chatted with him on FB the other day.
At least...I think I did.:P

Several videos and pictures of his suits and experiments are on dropzone.com and in videos in several places.

The only people making unsupported claims are the non-wingsuit flyers, not building, making, testing or flying one..;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Here,

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3035484;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

This used to have a link to some pics of a time I flew half of the megasuit assembly in public. I only flew it once at the event at the far outside edge of a bigway because I did not wish to expose others to the risk of flying near that thing. I checked the link and the photos are gone but at least you can get the idea from the discussion and the buzz it generated at the time when I showed up and flew the thing at a major event.

I'll see what else I can dig up... I'm pretty sure Justin has some photos of the REALLY big one, and I'll have a look at what Scotty's got online, see if I can find the Godzilla mod pics. At the time I did not make a big deal out of that development series so there aren't all that many pics out there and I published no articles beyond discussions about the designs on this forum. I'm not much of a publicity hound, the recognition I get from my peers in the sport is enough, and I was never gonna get famous for a bunch of insane flying hackjobs anyway.

Some of the stuff was only photographed once or twice, and the biggest version with the lexan tail design I allowed to disappear quietly with no publicity at all because of just how dangerous that thing was, but it is mentioned indirectly in the thread I referenced above.
-B

Excellent video, I laugh my ass off. A good way to relax after all these post.
I am a hang glider pilot, paragliding instructor and wing suit flyer (base and plane) and I jump with a modified S3, years ago. I had sewn something like 15 Kevlar batten (like windsurf, but especially made for the suit) It fly much better, but too dangerous and uncomfortable.
My first reaction when I read the first few post was : Hey guys hang glider is already there!
But then, I remember that so many things in history look impossible and eventually work very well.|
But now the challenge is very precise.
If I understand well the point in this post is:
Would it be possible to build, something witch is not a hang glider and can soar in strong wind and maybe land?
Well, to give a base to work on, I estimate that to keep somebody in the air on a soaring hill in 40 km/h /50 km/h (25/30 mph/h) dynamic wind, you would need at least 6 m2.
It would mean to increase the surface of a good wing suit at list two times. That’s a lot!
If you do that you would face 3 major problems (all mentionned before)
-How to fold and unfold it?
-How to hold it in the air?
-How to stir it?
We could build something which would work right now, but these 3 problems are so serious that it would involve an extremely complexe skeleton, bulky and heavy and probably unaffordable for most of us.
The result would be something between and hang glider and a wing suit, flying at about 50 km/h (minimum horizontal air speed) with a sink rate of about 4 meters/ second (15 km/h vertical) landable.
But one important question is do we really need it?
Hang gliders are great, light, cheap and safe, but not in fashion anymore and if you want something light small paragliders are great as well, and do you know the woopy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hlRTAisMeg
http://vimeo.com/11576249
By the way somewhere, somebody said that increasing aspect ratio doesn't increase speed, sorry but it's wrong. When you increase AR, you just decrease the drag caused by the end of wings vortex, for the same surface and doing so you increase speed.
Take air
Christophe