gisellemartins

Future of wingsuit able to fly up?

the things i mention is completely unerstandable and real for another person like me but completely confused and nosense for you.

Completely agreed. The things you see as "real and understandable" are very confused and nonsensical.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Giselle:
You have made a series of mistakes here.
1: Real wingsuit pilots are answering your questions and you tell them they speak nonsense. This is not polite.

2: You are not a wingsuit pilot. We are. Yet you tell us we don't know what we're talking about and YOU will tell us how wingsuits will be built. Do you have any idea how ridiculous this sounds to us? Not to mention offensive?

If you will not listen to them, perhaps you will listen to me. I HAVE tried flying things like what you describe. I am one of the only ones who has ever tried who did NOT die trying. I AM a wingsuit designer. I have built and flown the single largest wingsuit design ever attempted. The only reason I did not die trying was because I made my pieces -relatively- small, and based the design on a known, workable wingsuit I already knew how to fly.

What you describe cannot work. If you build an assembly with rigid pieces that takes the load off the body it is not a wingsuit. It is a hang glider. And it will fly totally differently than a wingsuit will. If it is attached to the limbs it restricts your freedom of movement. If it sticks out beyond your limbs more than about half an arms length it will restrict your freedom of movement enough to kill you.

I KNOW. What I built was a combination exoskeleton tailwing combined with armwings that went all the way to the ankles, connected to the feet by cable struts that allowed me to take some of the load off my arms with my feet. The cable system worked well, but took all the strength I had to fly it, and it could be made no bigger. The exoskeleton tail did not work and the only reason it did not kill me was because I made sure I could fight it with my armwings, overpower it if it did things I did not want it to do, and could collapse the whole assembly behind me so that I could go into normal freefall and still get a parachute open.
After 6 flights with that monster, I stopped trying. There was no point.

Now I am a retired wingsuit designer. My friends are glad because it means I'm still alive. There are limits to what is possible in wingsuit design, and I know what those limits are because unlike you, I've actually DONE IT.

The reason a wingsuit is flyable at all is because the wings are small enough to be controllable with the muscle strength we have. THAT is what makes the wingsuit experience what it is. When we fly our suits, we are light, quick and free. We move easily.

The moment you make hard pieces any bigger than our bodies, movement and control become very difficult, clumsy and slow. I know. I did it. I barely survived it and only because I made sure that it wasn't THAT much bigger than a normal wingsuit.

It wasn't better...it was WORSE. I was barely able to get a parachute open around it. And in flight I was barely able to control it. It was not very steerable. It ruined the wingsuit flight experience. I could fly better without it. The reason I built and flew it was to see if the kind of thing you want to make could be done. You are not the first to come up with these ideas. The answer is NO.

There was no need to keep trying after what I learned from the first few prototypes. What I learned from those flights was that as soon as you add a skeleton, even a simple one, you ruin the wingsuit flight experience.

Accept it.

We are wingsuit pilots. You are not. We know what we are talking about. You do not. We actually fly wingsuits. We know what it feels like and why what you propose is not a workable idea. You came here to ask us about it and instead you ended up telling us we don't know what we're talking about because you did not like the answers you got.

Deal with it.

Go learn to skydive. Build up the hundreds of skydives experience you need to be qualified to try flying a suit. Then learn to fly a wingsuit. Fly a wingsuit about a thousand times until you are good enough to try making your own. Then build one or two suits of your own and see how they work, and why, in person by your own experience. Don't just talk about it from a nice safe keyboard, go DO it.

THEN you will be qualified to try to build your "flying up" wingsuit. But by then, you will understand why it will not work. The picture you have drawn is nothing but a picture. Things like that work well, in cartoons. In real life, connecting artificial rigid struts to your arms with wings 4 times bigger than your muscles can handle is suicide. Many people have already died to learn the knowledge you are trying to ignore. This is why hang gliders exist in the first place.

The only way to support enough wing to go up, is with a frame structure. The only way to control that frame is to hang from it. If you want to try to fly something like what you have in your picture, why don't you start with a small hang glider?

Go ahead. Just cut it down a little, then strap your arms to the wings and try to fly it. Let us know how it works for you if you're still alive and able to speak after the crash.
OR, you could just learn to fly a wingsuit with us and enjoy what IS possible. See you in the air!
:)-B

Wow, first of all i didnt mean to be offensive at all i was just tired of some that dont read all the topics come criticise a message that was answered before and i had to write it all again its tiring and a bit stressfull.

u seems to be very sure that it will NEVER work because u tryed it yourself.

Yes like i was beginner pilot in others sports i will be with wingsuit now, i already booked some sessions of windtunnell.

Anyway if in a dozen of years a wingsuit look like the one in the picture that i put here, i hope u open this topic again to remember u said it will NEVER work!
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

Wow...just...wow.
Giselle:
You are being arrogant and condescending.
Until you fly a wingsuit yourself, your "accumulated knowledge about flying machines and aeorinamics much more than u can imagine" means precisely...dick.

Your accumulated flight time in gliders does not qualify you to design wingsuits any more than my time driving a jeep qualifies me to tell professional motorcycle racers how they should be building their bikes.

Learn to fly a suit, then come back and read this thread. You will laugh at yourself. And if you have any sense, you will be ashamed of yourself for taking the attitude you have taken here. There is no need to apologize... when it comes to wingsuit flight you are a child and you don't know any better.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Wow...just...wow.
Giselle:
You are being arrogant and condescending.
Until you fly a wingsuit yourself, your "accumulated knowledge about flying machines and aeorinamics much more than u can imagine" means precisely...dick.

If im being arrogant and condescending, after what u just wrote i think im not that far from you anymore i am?

Your accumulated flight time in gliders does not qualify you to design wingsuits any more than my time driving a jeep qualifies me to tell professional motorcycle racers how they should be building their bikes.

Who said i want to design wingsuits? i just make suggestions of what i think the wingsuit will look and work like one day!

Also when u say because i fly gliders it doesnt quilify me design wingsuit is that absulute true? i dont want to design wingsuit anyway but everything is relative! one the best paragliders design in the world he is not an engineer he is a biologist! many of famous car designers in the past they werent engineers.

Learn to fly a suit, then come back and read this thread. You will laugh at yourself. And if you have any sense, you will be ashamed of yourself for taking the attitude you have taken here. There is no need to apologize... when it comes to wingsuit flight you are a child and you don't know any better.
-B

Probably when i start flying wingsuit i will be too busy having fun in the air than come here to regreat about what i said.

And for sure IF in a dozen of years the wingsuit be in the way i think it will be, if u dont come here to open this topic ashamed of yourself after what u said i will be arrogant enough as u mentioned, to open the topic again and ask u why u said NEVER!

Lurch just remember u said it will NEVER!;)

"I will pattent it soon when i start designing my own wingsuit"
Remeber this?

Seriously man, you remind me of Sangi back in the day before he started jumping. Remember Sangi?
Anyway, listen more, talk less. That is my advice to your ignorant ass, there might be suits like your drawing there someday. But you obviously have no idea what the problems associated w/ building one are. Even though you fly paraglider and hang gliders, you under estimate the forces involved.
Do you think you are the only paraglider/Hang glider that has an interest in wing suiting? I can count about 5 off the top of my head that have been flying and jumping longer than you have been alive, and even more that currently design wings for the top paragliding manufacturers. Like these guys (http://vimeo.com/12082759) Thats right, the entire Ozone team also fly wing suits, but they don't know anything about flying and building wings compared to you!;)
It ain't as simple as throwing in some carbon fiber spars and extending the aspect ratio...But don't believe us :P Go fly in the tunnel and prepare to take over the world!

Hope it flies better than the design by the original creator (and many similar designs that all had to much stress on the arms and didnt fly, and in some cases prevented a proper pull or resulted in a spin/entanglement with main and death).

I suggest doing some actualskydiving, wingsuit flying and wingsuit specific research before designing (and submitting patents on things others already made).
And dont go monkeys on people who have a lot of knowledge on past, present, design and performance, when they are only trying to get you to realise your not even crawling yet, but talking way over the top about flying.

Baby steps...one at a time..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Remeber this?

Seriously man, you remind me of Sangi back in the day before he started jumping. Remember Sangi?
Anyway, listen more, talk less. That is my advice to your ignorant ass, there might be suits like your drawing there someday. But you obviously have no idea what the problems associated w/ building one are. Even though you fly paraglider and hang gliders, you under estimate the forces involved.
Do you think you are the only paraglider/Hang glider that has an interest in wing suiting? I can count about 5 off the top of my head that have been flying and jumping longer than you have been alive, and even more that currently design wings for the top paragliding manufacturers. Like these guys (http://vimeo.com/12082759) Thats right, the entire Ozone team also fly wing suits, but they don't know anything about flying and building wings compared to you!;)
It ain't as simple as throwing in some carbon fiber spars and extending the aspect ratio...But don't believe us :P Go fly in the tunnel and prepare to take over the world!

OI oi, when i said "I will pattent it soon when i start designing my own wingsuit" i was only joking as u guys can check in the original message! but if i have time and money enough to be a very experienced wingsuit pilot for sure i wont stop just looking i will try to help with my ideas! anything wrong with that?

I was just wondering the possibilities with the winsguit in the future and show what ive had in mind about it!

I strongly believe in everything i said, maybe i sounded a bit arrogant because sometimes in foruns members make silly afirmations without know well what they are talking about. but im not an arrogant person.

Most times the things i believed happened and ive had experience enough to see that it will happen soon or later, i think the wingsuit will look something close of what i showed and said, but i do feel attacked, my ideas rejected etc

Thats not a problem, i cant be bothered it anyway...

The important thing is have fun make your life worth it and contribute with your knowledge to make this world a better place in all the aspects! but if one day i see nodoby gonna try to make it, and i see i will have problems but is not impossible, i would try to make my dreams come true out of papers, i did it before i can do it again... dream and wishes that keep people moving...

BTW i hope this forum and this topic last a good dozen of years because i wont forget a shortsight of few pilots about we discuss here, save the picture i uploaded here in your desktop and watch what is next in the next years...

the only f***ing thing that annoys me is like on other ares of tecnology when they manage to do smething nice that was critized by others, the short sight come with ironic face and say " oh well u were right " but in the f*****ing past u were the ******* ones trying to stop the good guys of making good things that u gonna f****king use!

aff anyway scientist are already used to this kind of situation i cant be much bothered with it also!

have all a good day

Sangi ... classic.. you don't know what you don't know..

I've been flying paragliders (bit's of Nylon and string) for 20 years now and if my 7 hour (SEVEN) flight is mere horse play ... then bring it on Dobbin.

God, I should have expected something like this...

Yes, yes I understand it's difficult to fly this stuff properly and professionaly... But I'm not talking about that..

All I'm saying is that complex technology will be the future of flying, not simplistic non powered single material with some strings.. Every non powered flying machine relies on weather to keep it flying.. For true flight (inside and beyond Earth's atmosphere) you'll need something more than that..

Think something like the ironman suit.. At least this thing seems plausible in the more distant future..

For now I will keep to my opinion that nylon flight is just "fun and games" and not true progression in serious flight..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Giselle this discussion should be had on a different forum, perhaps we can call it the wingthing forum, where we can discuss politely, exchange compliments, and it will be ok to be gay.
Dont be too dissappointed by the reaction you get here, you must understand that the wingsuit (a name we must not take in vain ) is perfect as it is, and much loved for its 1- 2.5 glide ratio, the strain it puts on the arms , and of course the 2-3 minutes you can spend holding hands with other pilots while descending steeply to earth at great speed. And then the final exhilaration of deploying the beloved parachute, oh my! I for one will never understand these things fully..

The serious development of wings that will enable human flight to approach the ease and agility of bird flight is a daunting challenge, but it is impossible unless one has the dream and the vision. I share your optimism in our ability to glide and maintain level flight, soar, and finally land with wings modelled on those of birds, built with the highly advanced materials and technologies that are currently available to us.

The most elegant and viable wings of this kind to date were designed by Leonardo da Vinci in 1400 something, and it really is rude to imply that such a genius was a fool for his faith. He must be turning more than ever in his grave at the contempt shown for the ambitions of subsequent adventurers by many in this forum, especially since these guys are widely known as birdmen.

To successfully engineer and build a wing-thing for proper human flight, you need to first clearly identify the problems, so that the solutions can flow as they tend to do:

1) limited human strength: the extended wingspan cannot rely on strength at all to remain extended, because available strength and endurance will be needed to control and guide the wing, and perform the maneuvers required by the flight mode and prevailing wind conditions. instead, the wing must be supported spanwise by articulating spars with their main anchor( also articulated) at the center of the back. (spars not neccessarily from carbon fibre)
Thus the arms are supported by the wing, and not the wing by the arms.
Another support for the wing comes from an artificial wishbone at the chest, a bone in birds that has recently been identified to act as a spring, sprung to balance the upward forces exerted on the wing (which are stronger than the downward forces) This devise will stabilise the wing in its vertical motions, where some flexibility is needed, even if one does not envision actual flapping..

2) need to land safely you cannot use a parachute safely as it is with extended wingspan- hence my diversion to develop the IGALS (Integrated Glide and Landing System)

3) practicality The wings will only have broad appeal if they can be used to jump as usual from planes and off cliffs etc. They must be totally collapsable and flexible at the extremities to avoid snagging, breakage and injury. Also the birds must flock together, so they really have to be compact in their pre-flight mode. The safe opening of the wings in a normal wingsuit is already challenging, so one must account for the impacts on a much larger wing.

The wing of the future for unpowered human flight is in fact a prosthetic, and anyone following the developments in this field will appreciate the amazing possibilities to control limbs that do not belong to the biological system of the body. The human frame is closer to the frame of a bird or bat than any other creature, and we have the superior locomotive range. Above all, there is imbedded in our psyche the will to truly fly.. thus our mental faculties will not rest until this dream is thoroughly manifest.

Giselle I will email you a drawing to keep you motivated..

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

How about this - ever eat a bird? Look at the size of a chicken breast as compared to the size of the thigh. Big difference, and chickens don't even fly anymore.

Now look at non-bird (aka a human). Compare the size of the breast muscle to the size of the thigh muscle. Big difference. Man was built to motivate himself with his legs, not arms.

No amount of technology is going to change that. As many have mentioned, the limiting factor here is the strength of the pilot and their ability to support the wings attached to their suit.

Also as mentioned before, without wingsuit experiecne you might not know that after 2 or 4 mintues of flight in a current style wingsuit, the best word to descirbe it would be exhaustion. More experienced pilots build up their strength so they can fly stronger for more of the flight, but I would imagine that if you took a 'stronger' pilot and gave them a 5 or 6 mintue flight, they too would be winded and worn out.

Man can physically adapt to their situation, but it's a slow process and limited in it's scope. You're assertion that much larger suit could 'easliy' be flown for a much longer amount of time is just plain wrong. If it became essential to survivial, maybe in a few hundred years of natural selection humans might be better able to handle those stresses, but that's a long ways off.

Two other points - keep in mind that as passionate as you think you are about this, the guys responding to you are ten times as passionate. If anyone wants to 'go back up' or be able to land a wingsuit it's everyone in this forum. If they're telling you it's not possible, it's not because they're just nay-sayers, it's because they've put more of their time, thought and life into wingsuit flight than you, and have recognized the limitations.

The other is that you keep referencing the nay-sayers of early flight, and how they were all wrong, but that was with their limited scope of aeronautical knowledge. We do no suffer from such a limitation as man has achieved flight and wingsuit flight, and we have seen the truth of what is, and is not, possible.

*** How about this - ever eat a bird? Look at the size of a chicken breast as compared to the size of the thigh. Big difference, and chickens don't even fly anymore.

Dave, Giselle is a zoologist specializing in birds, she does not need to eat a modified chicken to appreciate the significance of the large chest muscles in birds, but I am glad you brought this up.
it is wrong to eat birds, and it is evil to rob them through cruel breeding programs of their natural ability to fly so that people can consume chunks of flesh that used to be active muscle, and it is also ignorant to believe that we cannot overcome the limits of our strength by using our brains to harness technology.

You will remember from biology class that a muscle is comprised of cells that are flacid and elongated when passive, and when pumped with fluid (blood) they contract to provide the power of an active muscle. A company called Festo claimed years ago to have hundreds of designs for membranes that use air ( the fluid enabling flight) to mimic the action and subsequent power of muscle. Thus for human flight, the proximity of a suitable fluid, and the right "muscle" design, leads to the idea that the perhaps we can overcome our limits of strength in more ways than one.

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

Maria, I love your enthusiam and your pioneering spirit, but your idea of how muscles work is so wrong it hurts. I know that it's not terribly relevant to the conversation, but I didn't want anybody to read that and then to think that muscles contract because they get "pumped with fluid."

Giselle,

I really hesitate to pop a dreamer's bubble. If it were not for dreamers none of us would be flying wingsuits at all. That is a fact. The ability to imagine something that is not currently possible, and then make it into reality is the essence of the human spirit, IMO.

I was a little disappointed to see your posts meet with such strong opposition and people saying, "that will NEVER work."

I've seen enough amazing shit in my life to know better than to use the word NEVER in association with the types of personalities prevalent in the skydiving/BASE communities.

Having said that...

My only advice to you is to arm yourself with a little experience before continuing to debate here.

There is an extremely valuable perspective that inexperienced people bring to a situation. They are not confined within the limits of what is currently thought possible, so their minds are free to come up with ideas that would be immediately dismissed by people with more experience in that area.

But, now that you've hatched your idea, you need to find out for yourself if it's a realistic one.

Go learn to fly wingsuits.

I trained for years to go to war. I learned to shoot, blow things up, employ various tactics. I knew exactly how fighting would go...at least I thought I did. I was ready and nobody could convince me otherwise. I even thought I could concoct some fancy new moves if I needed to.

One day I found myself on the battlefield where people were shooting actual bullets at me. I shot at them too. It was confusing, scary, I couldn't see shit, sometimes had no idea were the enemy was... in short, real war was abso-fucking-lutely nothing like I thought it would be. (And this was after a ton of uber-realistic live-fire training.)

Things are a lot different on the two-way shooting range.

I walked away from that first firefight armed with a completely different perspective.

What does that have to do with your original post?

Go fly some wingsuits and then you'll have a better idea of what we're capable of up there.

Yo.
Second what Dexter just said.
I know its gotta be disappointing having a bunch of negativity come back at you.

Giselle, for what its worth, I wasn't trying to come down on you, just trying to get the idea across that it is the people actually doing it who know what can be done...

...and, by the way, look again at the words I used. Pay attention. Not once did I use the word NEVER.

I've been flying for a long time now and I can tell you that given the pace of development, we will not be flying your ideas in a dozen years. Technology develops fast, but nowhere near THAT fast. With a lot of development in nanomaterials and several revolutionary leaps forward in energy storage and manipulation technology such a thing may someday BECOME possible, but right now, it isn't.

The materials we have to work with now are amazing enough as it is...spectra and kevlar line good to hundreds of pounds per strand, and much more... but to fly up with anything like a human scale wingspan would require energy storage and discharge capabilities in the hundreds of kilowatts per kilogram, and material strengths equivalent to a fishing rod rigid enough to take thousands of pounds of strain without bending.

Such technology may someday be developed, but it certainly will not be developed and deployed in a highly evolved practical application such as flight in a mere 12 years.

Keep in mind... I understand your dreams. Most of us here do. But talking down to us in a condescending manner when you have not yet even begun to learn to skydive, let alone fly a wingsuit, let alone have the expertise necessary to try to contribute to their development... well, lets just say you come across as more than a little ahead of yourself.

Come fly. When you fly a suit yourself, you will have a much better idea what you're up against.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

What about a sleeve for the arm that had a rod that would extend out 1 foot, and have extra wing material roll out from the gripper. To deploy, withdraw the rod, and the extra material rolls back up.
Extensions would be set on the plane; the release mechanism would need to be flawless, of course. Arm pressure would be increased, but the hands would be freed up from gripping, and the strength issue may not be too much to deal with, depending on the length of the rod.
The sleeve could strap on, between elbow and wrist. Mobility would not be compromised. Extending the wingspan, even a small amount, is a way to improve glide.
Sorry if this idea appears half baked, it is. :)

But what do I know?

I've been flying for a long time now and I can tell you that given the pace of development, we will not be flying your ideas in a dozen years. Technology develops fast, but nowhere near THAT fast. With a lot of development in nanomaterials and several revolutionary leaps forward in energy storage and manipulation technology such a thing may someday BECOME possible, but right now, it isn't.

The materials we have to work with now are amazing enough as it is...spectra and kevlar line good to hundreds of pounds per strand, and much more... but to fly up with anything like a human scale wingspan would require energy storage and discharge capabilities in the hundreds of kilowatts per kilogram, and material strengths equivalent to a fishing rod rigid enough to take thousands of pounds of strain without bending.

Such technology may someday be developed, but it certainly will not be developed and deployed in a highly evolved practical application such as flight in a mere 12 years.

Lurch Thats one of the reason i feel tiring to replay your coments too much nonsense and sometimes it makes me look arrogant but i will do my best to answer you one more time wihout be.

Are u sure u are having fun with wingsuit? because u keep mentioning powered flight! wingsuit pilots love and fly wingsuits because they want to feel the air hiting on their faces freedom natural way to fly, cheap no polution etc.. if they want a noisy engine in their head they would go fly small aircraft!
Also have u ever study or hear about thermals and lift? its one of the most power full forces int he world i can climb up on the thermal on my paraglider a 15m/s up faster than many small aircratfts!

Second thing! YES U SAID, with arrogance not much respect at me that winsuit will NOT FLY UP IN A THOUSAND OF YEARS.

why did u change your mind so quick from THOUSAND OF YEARS to DOZEN OF YEARS?

Also u dont need tell exact things to me that ive said before, the origin idea that the wingsuit would look like the picture i post on this forum in a dozen of years was made by me and critize by you remember?

Honestly for me you seems have no concrete ideas, the way u show it, its messy, confusing and sometimes arrogant!

Have fun

What about a sleeve for the arm that had a rod that would extend out 1 foot, and have extra wing material roll out from the gripper. To deploy, withdraw the rod, and the extra material rolls back up.
Extensions would be set on the plane; the release mechanism would need to be flawless, of course. Arm pressure would be increased, but the hands would be freed up from gripping, and the strength issue may not be too much to deal with, depending on the length of the rod.
The sleeve could strap on, between elbow and wrist. Mobility would not be compromised. Extending the wingspan, even a small amount, is a way to improve glide.
Sorry if this idea appears half baked, it is. :)

Hi Fasted your idea is really good, this way u showed is the same thing i explained but in my view it would be on the back of the pilot allowing him to close his wing inside the plane and open it when he come out!

But also your suggestion with same thing for the middle of the wing is also very considerable, it would add more weight and articulation but also it would add more mobility in flight...

send me some draw prototypes to my email...

Sorry for my poor english

have a good day

Also have u ever study or hear about thermals and lift? its one of the most power full forces int he world i can climb up on the thermal on my paraglider a 15m/s up faster than many small aircratfts!

What is the surface area of your paraglider?

What is the surface area of your crazy long winged suit idea?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What is the surface area of your paraglider?

What is the surface area of your crazy long winged suit idea?

Hi The111 we already talked about it in few topics above but i will show u again no problem

A paraglider of 10m2 is able to soar on a lift and get thermals with a pilot around 80kg with no problem as u can see on this video (wind hiting the montail at 18knots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7mqTpBwtsE

In my crazy wingsuit of 4m span as u said, would be around 38% smaller than this small paraglider but still able do the same things in a bit stronger wind and a bit stronger thermal. once the wingspan grows, will be necessary less wind and weak thermals to do the same job.

Futuristic scenario: when the pilot exit of a plane of montain he keeps gliding his winsuit in stable air falling suppose at 5 m/s and he hits a big thermal ball going up a 7m/s so the result is ( 7 - 5 = 2m/s ) so the wingsuit pilot gonna start to flying up at 2meters/sec, (6-7m/s thermals are kind normal around the globe but in same places it can reach 15m/s so u make your own calculations in what hate u gonna climb up) once the pilot start making circles inside the big thermal like eagles, PG, HG etc he will climb up till the cloudbase (cloudbase sometimes can be very hight around 4000meters) once he gets in the cloude base where the thermal condensate and stop climbing he also will stop and have to glide to find another thermal...

Cheers