notsane

Getting out of line twists

I'd like to remind everyone of the unique way wingsuiters have to get out of line twists. If your canopy is flying well and you have the altitude, use your arm wings, as if you're barrel-rolling, to get out of the line twists. If you start off going the wrong way, there's usually not enough force to cause more twists. It's surprising how quickly and easily this technique works.

I didin't knew that..!!It sounds easy..if it works.
Also it depends from the size of the canopy, or wing load right?
The smaller canopy-more speed-easier to clear the line twists..
Larger canopy-less speed-takes a little more time to clear the line twist ..
That's my opinion.Am I right?
As I said,I didn't knew this.

Though a great technique for those who have grown used to flying and handling a wingsuit on opening, its certainly not part of basic/FJC training.
Its a bit more of an 'advanced' technique, that requires basic familiarity with wingsuit deployments and actions under canopy.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thats if you can see the direction of the twists. Load a canopy at 1.6 or more and it will just add twists. I speak from experience.

My 2 cents: unzip arms asap, pull risers apart to pull head through and see which way the twists are going, grab appropriate wing sleeve material and untwist.
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

I'd like to remind everyone of the unique way wingsuiters have to get out of line twists. If your canopy is flying well and you have the altitude, use your arm wings, as if you're barrel-rolling, to get out of the line twists. If you start off going the wrong way, there's usually not enough force to cause more twists. It's surprising how quickly and easily this technique works.

If your canopy is flying well and you have the altitude it works. If it's spinning and you're on your back ... it doesn't. :|

pushing risers together instead of pulling them appart, works wonders. For more on that topic, check the other forums on this site...

Agreed.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

pushing risers together instead of pulling them appart, works wonders. For more on that topic, check the other forums on this site...

A little off topic but I think that having both weapons in your arsenal is ideal.... With my experience (which is minimal b/c of my awesome body position on deployment :P) it makes sense to me that during a line twist opening you would first pull your risers apart and once you get the twists going in the correct direction pushing them together may help you speed up and unwind quicker....

Just my thoughts, not a instructor, not a rigger, use at your own discretion yada yada

Also it depends from the size of the canopy, or wing load right?
The smaller canopy-more speed-easier to clear the line twists..
Larger canopy-less speed-takes a little more time to clear the line twist ..
That's my opinion.Am I right?

The major determinate of speed is wingloading. If you fly a larger canopy, your wingloading will drop and thus your speed will decrease, subtle but major difference. Under canopy I have no trouble chasing down 170's with my Safire II 269 because those guys/gals jumping the 170's at my dz are loading them between 1-1.2 where as my 269 is loaded at 1.4.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Phantom2+silhouette+1.1:1 wingloading=>what is this "line twists you speak of and why should I worry about them?
Its not sexy or cool but a
big, predictable canopy, that you can deploy while in a flat spin into line twists that sort themselves out before you even have time to unzip one wing
is a good idea IMHO
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

I haven't even tried using my wings to untwist line twists because I just assumed that my wings are too small and my canopy too docile that its faster to just do something else.

I am flying a Sabre 2 210 at about 1.1 wingloading, and I often use my wings to get out of line twists. Big, docile canopy, so it is almost always flying straight and level regardless of how much it spun up do to whatever I did wrong that time. It doesn't take that much drag to help get you started spinning the correct direction. I just get it started that first 1/2 spin, and then close the wings and watch the panarama unfold. I like getting that quick look around to be sure my airspace is clear B| I like this technique, but it always takes me a moment to figure out which wing to open :o I guess I am just a slow learner...

Actually I found it easier to get out of line twists by forcing the twists into the risers. Like this.

Tried this out over the weekend after some hefty twists, with a bit of wing and twist too. Works nicely (T-Bird & Spectre 120 WL1.4/1.5)...Cheers