Butters

Incident

The incident we knew would eventually happen has finally happened. In my limited experience I've seen multiple close calls ... be careful out there.

I've seen multiple close calls of my own fault alone. Almost all of them were caused by aggressive approaches. Since then I have always approached slower.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

its been close many times before. Hell at the last bigway we had a jumper get knocked out by a collision and have a cypress save. This actually sounds similar, maybe a head vs leg collision?

watch those approaches guys, its not worth getting there 5 seconds faster

When I first started, I got some really good advice that I have tried to pass on. I haven't seen it on here, so let me throw it out now. Most of you know it already, so don't be insulted; this is for the new guys.
When approaching a formation, look at the horizon in front of them. If it is swinging wildly that is an indication that you are approaching at an angle and you need to back off. You want the horizon stable, which indicates you are on the same angle as everybody else. Don't just concentrate on the flock because if your angle is bad, when you get there you will be a dangerous meat bomb.
But what do I know?

The incident we knew would eventually happen has finally happened. In my limited experience I've seen multiple close calls ... be careful out there.

I've seen multiple close calls of my own fault alone. Almost all of them were caused by aggressive approaches. Since then I have always approached slower.

I've hit someone once, hard enough to ring my bell. Even with just 3 birds in the air I managed to hit one. Was just a few secs after exit, first jumper would be lowest and turn back to the DZ, 2nd would be "diving" after first, I was 3rd out and filming. I made my turn after exit and hit the 2nd jumper from the outside, sideways I think, but I never saw the guy until after hitting him. Saw a few stars though B| I must not have been looking, he's not in my video. I wasn't expecting him to be there or anyway close to me, like the previous jumps. Stupid, look (better) before you turn, but with a wingsuit that turn is FAST and while looking I must have already turned/dived, in a hurry to get there for the video.

Lesson learned [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

its been close many times before. Hell at the last bigway we had a jumper get knocked out by a collision and have a cypress save. This actually sounds similar, maybe a head vs leg collision?

Both that, and the most recent incident, were jumpers exiting the same plane. The collision potential is higher on multi plane jumps with people approaching from different directions.

"Russian Radar" was Roger Nelson's phrase for keeping your head on a swivel and being aware of those around you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

disclaimer:
I am in no way big way exerienced, just searching for solutions to make WS fomations safer.

Get on level vertically, and then approach horizontally. This is the rule for all formations.

It's not the rule for large RW formations.

Maybe we should talk about 'fly in your sector'? Are there technics we can learn from the experience RW crowd here? (Aside of the obvious 'look where you fly')
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.