roostnureye

1st wingsuit video w/ good spin

hey guys i did my first wingsuit jump this weekend, the first one sucked real bad, the second one went great, i really like these suits, cant wait to get some more jumps on them! was this a flat spin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSItSmxJD3g
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Did you have instruction??? This video is actually concerning for me to see. Typically FFC is not out of a Cessna, and is with a coach or instructor. Did you have any coaching? How many jumps do you have? Its good to see you like Wingsuiting, but there is NEVER a better substitute for success then proper training and experience.

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Did you have instruction??? This video is actually concerning for me to see. Typically FFC is not out of a Cessna, and is with a coach or instructor. Did you have any coaching? How many jumps do you have? Its good to see you like Wingsuiting, but there is NEVER a better substitute for success then proper training and experience.

Justin

yes i had instruction, i did my ffc the day before, with the dzo, i was cleared to jump and yes i have the jump#s, i needed to update my info. i had been coached as to how to exit the cessna properly and practiced the exit multiple times before the jump. the guy on the video exiting before me was doing his first jump as well. the second jump went ALLOT better.
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

i had been coached as to how to exit the cessna properly and practiced the exit multiple times before the jump.

What you were told its certanly not the best or easiest way to exit. Ive done about 100+ WS jumps from a C182 this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO7U_JUIa0w

Its a boring video trying out a camera angle...you can fast forward to 1:00

I think there is more to say about that jump, but Ill let the experts get on that. Good luck with your 3rd B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

The exit style certainly isnt one of the best ones for various reasons.

A facing exit (also recommended by YeYo) such as the one seen here is a much cleaner and easier technique.

Trusting your DZO/Wingsuit coach gave you all information on exits, always remind yourself that the attenion points related to the tailwing are especially important on these small Cessna's. As even on normal skydives, planes have gone down, due to people hitting the rear stabilisor on exit. So always be carefull!

Wings closed, arched, and no pushing back/jumping up is key.
Having your armwings wings tucked being the most important one. As either lift from a flat flying position, or drag from an upright exit can and will fly or push you into the tail easily...

Typically FFC is not out of a Cessna

Maybe it isnt a typical FFC on a big turbine dropzone, but on a lot of small (especially EU) dropzones it certainly is.
Bo Wienberg also has a nice (older) video showing a lot of nice FFCs from Cessna 182's, and the Swedish wingsuit crew also have their share of those. Certainly not an issue as long as its properly briefed and executed.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

was this a flat spin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSItSmxJD3g

No! Not even remotely! In fact there is not one single video evidence of a wingsuit "flat spin" ever posted here. Plenty of weak oscilating ground bound augers but no flat spins. BTW your video is just a downward auger. Your video centered on one point on the ground backs up the spinning drill or augering position. Once you go on your back the fact that your upper body is bent at an angle to your legs in the sitting position or upper body augering and legs bent making you spin. This is just a lazy body being flown by the wingsuit instead of flying the wingsuit.

Think of a fast spinning pin wheel, that pin wheel is your body. Get the picture of true flat spin? It is not common because the delta ( winsuit) position is reluctant to enter a flat spin. Fucking ironic as much as the term is thrown around this discipline.

Flat spin is equal to laying flat perpendicular to the relative wind spinning at an astonishing high rate of speed. This high rate of speed's centripedal force makes recovery or even a change of orientation tremendously difficult to impossible.

The video should show the horizon spinning madly by. There have been pictures of ruptured blood vessels in the eyes as a result of flat spins ( maybe) but not a single true honest flat spin video from the first person or outside.

Next!

In fact there is not one single video evidence of a wingsuit "flat spin" ever posted here.

A Wingsuit Flat Spins is mostly an awesome horror scenario everyone loves using to scare themselves and others to death.

Fully agreeing.
Just name these instabilities spins or tumbles, like any other dicipline. We just have a bit more surface and/or drag helping to increase momentum compared to those situations on a normal skydive, making recovery a bit harder.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

In fact there is not one single video evidence of a wingsuit "flat spin" ever posted here.

A Wingsuit Flat Spins is mostly an awesome horror scenario everyone loves using to scare themselves and others to death.

Fully agreeing.
Just name these instabilities spins or tumbles, like any other dicipline. We just have a bit more surface and/or drag helping to increase momentum compared to those situations on a normal skydive, making recovery a bit harder.

I got in a "flat spin" in my level 5 AFF jump. Was supposed to do a single backflip and ended up doing about 30. I guess my body just has a dangerous shape that causes "flat spins." :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I got in a "flat spin" in my level 5 AFF jump. Was supposed to do a single backflip and ended up doing about 30. I guess my body just has a dangerous shape that causes "flat spins." :D

Were you wearing a wingsuit in your AFF course?

True flat spins are much easier to get into with the ability to put your hands above your head I've done it also but its not easy to get into a real flat spin in a wingsuit. Still waiting for the video of a true wingsuit flat spin.

Looking at your camera angle it seems like you are not trying to arch in order to gain stability. The camera seems to point to the ground at all times. Look up to the horizon first on instability problems.

That diving exit is not easy to do - looked great in the beginning Did you try to turn 180° immediately after exit?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Looking at your camera angle it seems like you are not trying to arch in order to gain stability. The camera seems to point to the ground at all times. Look up to the horizon first on instability problems.

That diving exit is not easy to do - looked great in the beginning Did you try to turn 180° immediately after exit?

my camera is setup for freeflying, hence the downward angle. and yes i did a 180 out of the door. i have a 2nd video that i did ALLOT better on, ill try and put it up this evening.
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121