matc

New gps

I just bought a QStarz BT-Q1000eX. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, and I'm still in the process of using it correctly, but it logs at 5Hz and definitely doesn't seem to have any issues picking up and holding a signal.

I usually turn it on briefly right before boarding the plane so that it can get a lock, turn it back on at altitude and throw it in my suit under the zipper.

Can anyone recommend some decent visualization/analysis software? Google Earth is cool but doesn't offer much in the analytics department.

I broke my garmin foretrex 201 today and I need a replacement. I bought it a couple of years ago and I guess the newer ones are even better. What do you guys recommend for wingsuit flights ?

Garmin makes the Foretex 301 and 401 which look identical to your 201.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Maybe you were trying to open a database file. You have to click on the "Read GPS" button instead and choose the "GPX" as the GPS type.

You can import GPX files using Paralog just fine. ;)

I'll take you word for it, but it wasn't very straightforward when I tried. The Open Files dialog only gives their formats as options.

I may be in the process of answering my own question since I'm not a huge fan of Paralog. The hang-gliding and para-gliding folks also like to use GPS loggers, so I'm evaluating a couple of offerings that they mentioned. I'll keep folks posted on what I find.

Paralog crashed to the desktop consistently when trying to read in GPX files. It's really an awfully buggy, unstable, expensive (for what you get) piece of software. Which is why I'm not particularly fond of it.

I've been playing around with a similar program made for hang gliders called Track-Album. It works as advertised, and skydiving-related information can easily be incorporated into its logbook. It has some glide-related information but its difficult to find.

Gonna keep on lookin'...

I think the problem has something to do with 5Hz logging. I had the same issue with my Qstarz Q1300s logging at 2Hz. It works fine with 1Hz though...

I'm downloading Track Album to check if it works with my 2Hz logged data.

Almost forget! Take a look at http://www.trackingderby.com/...

Paralog crashed to the desktop consistently when trying to read in GPX files. It's really an awfully buggy, unstable, expensive (for what you get) piece of software. Which is why I'm not particularly fond of it.

I've been playing around with a similar program made for hang gliders called Track-Album. It works as advertised, and skydiving-related information can easily be incorporated into its logbook. It has some glide-related information but its difficult to find.

Gonna keep on lookin'...

Tracking Derby looks useful as well, thanks for the link! I've worked with Track Album and I'm liking what I see. One neat little feature is that you can highlight sections of the time graph, and a summary of just that section (including distance, glide ratio, etc) shows up in the left-hand panel. Nice for getting just the wingsuit-related data.

Tracking Derby looks useful as well, thanks for the link! I've worked with Track Album and I'm liking what I see. One neat little feature is that you can highlight sections of the time graph, and a summary of just that section (including distance, glide ratio, etc) shows up in the left-hand panel. Nice for getting just the wingsuit-related data.

You can do that as well in Paralog among many other things. Don't know why you're having issues with it but Klaus is a wingsuiter and a DZ.com member(vidiot), if you e-mail him, he is prompt at answering your questions.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You can do that as well in Paralog among many other things. Don't know why you're having issues with it but Klaus is a wingsuiter and a DZ.com member(vidiot), if you e-mail him, he is prompt at answering your questions.

Good to know, thanks! I'm a software developer myself so I can probably provide him with some useful debugging info. I'll send him a PM.

Just as a follow-up and correction on my end. I'm working with Klaus to solve the issue I found with importing one of my unit's GPX files. I was mistaken about the nature of the error, though... it doesn't crash Paralog to the desktop. And I must say that Klaus' responsiveness and service is excellent! B|

Just as a follow-up and correction on my end. I'm working with Klaus to solve the issue I found with importing one of my unit's GPX files. I was mistaken about the nature of the error, though... it doesn't crash Paralog to the desktop. And I must say that Klaus' responsiveness and service is excellent! B|

Glad to hear it's working out. Paralog is a very handy tool for wingsuiters/skydivers.:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING