SuperGirl

Tiny canopy sucked into wingsuit burble

Watch this!
Tiny canopy, tiny lines, very big wingsuit... for some, it may sound like the recipe for how to look cool on the dropzone... until your canopy gets sucked into your burble!

Surprisingly, the jumper's main eventually gets out of the burble quite okay... though what are the chances of that, after a mess of canopy and lines dances around in a big burble for a while?

And if that main had been a chop, would the reserve (probably smallish as well, since it's in the same rig) have had an equally adventurous deployment?

Even before thinking of the reserve... what if the chopped main sticks around in the burble for some additional fun?

Watch, think and discuss.

And be safe out there, by making smart canopy choices for your wingsuit jumps!

I think the most important thing to see is that there are a lot of tiny fixes possible, but it wouldnt change the cause..

Small canopies and wingsuits (any size) are not the best combination...
Deviating from the advisable canopy norm will lead to all kind of new and exciting canopy mallfunctions that could easily be avoided...

On a reserve deployment, this could have been some seriously grimm results....

With bigger and bigger wingsuits becoming the norm, sane canopy choice should be one that stays the same, and is even more enforced that before..

This size canopy + wingsuit was already regarded silly/'no go' back when the classic I was the biggest wingsuit available..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ouch! That dude was lucky not to get any lines around his neck or catching snag points.

Also his pull position looks strange. You either pull in full flight, or you close the wings. Never seen this style of pulling down the knees and leaving all wings open during deployment.
Looks like he might not only want to work on his canopy choices?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Also his pull position looks strange. You either pull in full flight, or you close the wings. Never seen this style of pulling down the knees and leaving all wings open during deployment.

+1
This was the way to create a maximum sized burble.:S

I'd rather pull from full flight.

Apart from body position etc. .... But given that this is his canopy of choice, could he have improved his chances by using a longer Bridle (provided that he can get his pilot out of the burble any way)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It looks like the canopy is already at its (short) line-stretch when its pulled back into the burble. So even a longer bridle, bigger pilotchute etc could potentialy result in the same situation.

When your canopy and lines always fully inside your burble at line-stretch, chances of this happening again seem quite real..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Looking at the video you can see the slider moves all the way down the lines as the canopy is being sucked back into the burble. Truly a scary video since the canopy could have opened extremely hard at that point and could have caused internal injuries.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Apart from body position etc. .... But given that this is his canopy of choice, could he have improved his chances by using a longer Bridle (provided that he can get his pilot out of the burble any way)

If you look at the vid in the slow motion portion, you can clearly see the PC collapse from the Kill-Line. Longer PC would not really make a difference as it would go further out and maybe past the Burble but once the bag comes off it will just collapse and stop providing drag. I guess if it was maybe a non Kill line t might have had more effect n this case.

Out of curiosity the suit looked pretty big so it was probably an experienced WS jumper.. What was the canopy (type and size) and is this suit canopy combo what the jumper normally jumps with? If so has he experienced this in the past?

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Looking at the video you can see the slider moves all the way down the lines as the canopy is being sucked back into the burble. Truly a scary video since the canopy could have opened extremely hard at that point and could have caused internal injuries.

I noticed that too. I'm curious as to his set up, type D bag,RDS or not,type canopy. Part of the problem is that slider comes down all the way before the canopy has even begun to inflate. Scary shit, hopefully he makes some changes to his gear selection when wingsuiting from now on.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What was the canopy (type and size)

From what I got, its an 88 sq/ft canopy..which seems very tiny for a suit this size (or any wingsuit if you ask me).
There are quite a few scary things going on there, but canopy selection seems to be at the root of all those problems.

Look at the frame where line-stretch is achieved (2nd time, as the canopy does seem to reach line-stretch initialy), and you see that even during a normal deployment the canopy would be close to touching the legwing (even in a full flight pull) and inflate with most of the canopy in the turbulent air.

I hope this video further shows the need to respect these big suits, and not do basement pulls (even with normal/correct canopy choices).
There are a lot of 'new malfunctions' we have yet to discover. Dont be the one that shows us, by doing cool sub 2k pulls on your new stealth2, Xbird etc and getting this shit happening with your reserve down lowwwww....
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

yeah thats scary, especially the part after line stretch where its obviously trapped in the burble, it sucks back down to his back and almost wraps him up in the canopy. That thing manages to wrap itself around you in addition to the monster wings you've got on... fuckin bad news. cut away might not even be an option at that point.

cocoon canopy attack!

The sad thing about this forum is that had the fellow in the video gone in, there would have been someone (nobody in particular, just someone) who would have defended his choice of canopy.

It's Skwrl's Fourth Law in action: no matter how you spin it, some shit is just plain dumb.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The sad thing about this forum is that had the fellow in the video gone in, there would have been someone (nobody in particular, just someone) who would have defended his choice of canopy.

It's Skwrl's Fourth Law in action: no matter how you spin it, some shit is just plain dumb.

It is so nice that you are able to declare the universal and golden truth. :P

well said, Skwrl

Thats what I was thinking as well. He basically took a slider down deployment at terminal. Ouch!
BASE 1384

+1
This was the way to create a maximum sized burble.:S

I'd rather pull from full flight.
+2