PhoenixRising

New website

Niiiice improvement!

I got an opinion about the jumps recomendation for the different suits. Obviously who ever wrote it knows A LOT more about WS than me, maybe it was Jeff or Justin or Tony, but common.
25 WS jumps makes someone an advance pilot?...With 75 you are an expert???

Myself, I got around 200 WS flights and I consider Im Intermediate. I dont mind trying the T or R-Bird but I wouldnt think about jumping an S-Bird or X-Bird right now.

What do you guys think? What am I missing?
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Nice site who did it? Much better than the last one.

Looking at the meta tags on the website, it was made by James Boole (unclecharlie95).

And agreed, looks very nice and professional.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

...... What am I missing?

So after 180 views nobody has anything to say. That leaves 2 options:

a. People like to beleive they are "experts" after 75 jumps.
b. I'm a pussy.

I dont have a problem with neither. That makes me a "3X expert pussy"! yay!!!
....and here I thought I still had stuff to learn!
:PB|:$B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Youre neither, you just know your limitations. Different people have different tolerances for risk, and different skill sets. I think those are decent starting numbers for not going out and killing yourself in a particular suit, but they dont mean youll be able to fly that suit well. Oh, and very nice website, did I miss a pricelist on there somewhere?

b. I'm a pussy.

After reaching a legal age for driving or buying a alcohol are you a pussy because your are not driving the strongest car against a tree or not drinking yourself to death, just because you can?:S

Hitting the minimum requirement does not really mean that you are so deadly good.

...... What am I missing?

b. I'm a pussy.

I dont have a problem with neither. That makes me a "3X expert pussy"! yay!!!
....and here I thought I still had stuff to learn!
:PB|:$B|

thanks for the reminder... yes yes yes I had stuff to say but I was tired last night. and then I forgot.

I think you're totally right in doubting those numbers. If I look back at where I was at 75 wingsuit jumps, I sure as hell wouldn't have been ready to handle an X-Bird. Hell, I remember having 100ish jumps last year in Puerto Rico when I went to Jeff for coaching on my spinny crappy bakflying (or lack thereof)... It's all on video... had I tried that stuff in an X-Bird I would've been dead.

Yes, understood, those are bare minimums... but what does the average skydiver do? They take the bare minimums as the ultimate guideline. What happens with the bare minimum 200 jumps to try on a wingsuit? It gets interpreted as "100 jumps and mad skills should be fine", until people have to die and a BSR emerges...

There isn't even a rule imposing those numbers... they are manufacturer recommendations... which means Joe Shmoe who thinks he's too cool out of this world will think he's ready for the X at 25 wingsuit jumps.

Maybe we should have something like two numbers... the recommended number... and the absolute do not go below this number... like Brian Germain's canopy downsizing chart... if nothing else.

But beyond numbers, we need to understand the skills that make one good enough to upsize. We need to educate our peers in understanding what the big suits can do in the hands of a pilot less prepared to handle all types of situations.

Are 25 jumps enough to master the required skillset in one suit and already be ready for the next one in size? If I only think of counting the things I'd want to try in a wingsuit in order to completely dial it in, I think I'll easily go beyond 25 jumps worth of stuff... I guess I'm a really slow learner.

I think a lot of these numbers came up a long time ago when suits were smaller... and the definitions carried on. We might want to step aside for a second, and start revising our definitions.

Oh and btw... Yeyo, you are not a pussy. I am!! I think we can all agree on that one :P:P:P

Edited to add: P.S. Very cool website, Tony & co!!! Very nice to see you getting stuff more organized! Nice job, James!