elias123

Wingsuit fly-by.

Looks like you had a lot of fun there! :) Oh, those crazy Belgians - I miss you here in the east!

BTW: If you can induce such a twist with your legwing - why not trying to untwist with your armwing? Opening the correct armwing in the right moment get you out there quickly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I've heard about this technique, but I don't really understand it...:$

Then don't only geek to the guy that did the flyby but also ask him stuff! :)

@Jarno: Dude! Students are waiting!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Then don't only geek to the guy that did the flyby but also ask him stuff! :)

@Jarno: Dude! Students are waiting!

I actually only just heard about it once in Spain.
I knew I had time left so I quickly geeked him.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I havent had the chance to try it yet, but it makes sense to me. Very easy to explain in person, but Ill give it a try here.
Visualize doing a barell roll in the direction of the untwist, using the relative wind of the horizontal movement of the canopy? hahah english is not my first language either

So...if you are looking forward (on heading), and your line twist are to the left, open right arm wing to catch some air to untwist you to the right. And close the wing before rotating 180*, or its gonna stop the rotation you started. If you are looking back (180 off heading), youll have to open the left arm wing to untwist to the right. I guess keeping the leg wing closed will make it easier. Hope it makes sense to you.

Anyone here uses that technique often? Does it works as good as it sounds?
I've used the 'squeeze risers together' technique for the last 6-8 linetwist and it works fast.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I don't have line twists to often, thanks to my Nitron opening pretty consistently. But when I need a quick untwist, using the armwing works great. Much faster than risers/leg kicks. Keep the leg wing closed so it doesn't catch air and slow down the untwist.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Allow me to suggest the following:

1. Keep your leg wings(all wings for that matter) closed during deployment.

2. If you do have line twists, like in the video, I would suggest you grasp your risers overhand(thumbs down) and pull outward on the risers while bicycling your legs and turning your body in the direction that will untwist you. The arm wing thing is OK if you catch it early enough and the twists aren't that bad. Given the line twists you had in the video, you would be better off using the method I just described. I have seen many videos of people in line twists doing everything but the right thing to get out of the twists quickly. I don't know if it's the way some people are taught or if it's just lack of having to deal with it and the proper method has been forgotten. Having to deal with line twists on a round non steerable canopy in the military teaches you how to get out of line twists quickly and you get plenty of practice. However, not everyone gets that opportunity but the technique is the same as I mentioned above and it is very effective and wastes no time and little altitude, something thats very important, especially if you are low.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Anyone here uses that technique often? Does it works as good as it sounds?

I do have line twists too often, sometimes a bunch of them, and wing out of them all the time. Your description is good; the only thing I would add is you can even push with your wing to help get the roll started.
But what do I know?

Contrairy to the 'pull risers appart' advice, pushing risers yogether is a technique more and more HPC pilots seem to adopt. Try it on a pull-up cord twisted up. It makes the bicycle-style untwisting much easier..

Though using wings may work, getting the direction wrong, and the asymetrical hanging in yoyr rig can lead to a problem getting worse, instead of better.
The classic methods work pretty well, with pushing risers together being a nice improvement to give a try...B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ive used in once or twice as well, though rarely have spins luckely.
But I see this as a technique people with more experience can play with, and someone still sorting out general body positions at pull time, shouldnt be to busy doing corrective moves in the harness at that time yet. But Id rather see them focus on the correct opening itself first.

Id hate seeing people go into all kinds of asymetrical pupeteering moves before openings have even started.
First working on a nice symetrical body position, and leaving 'advanced' corrective techniques for later is what I prefer..

That aside..Elias jumps a nice moderate canopy for his weight and experience level, and could probably have 20 linetwists without having to worry too much about the thing going into diving spins..

Sane canopy choices always are a good startingpoint..B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Id hate seeing people go into all kinds of asymetrical pupeteering moves before openings have even started.
Sane canopy choices always are a good startingpoint..B|

Totally agree with those 2 points. My first step is to relax and get under a stable canopy. My only chop came from trying to fix things too quickly. I also use a big forgiving canopy.
One more point is that I pull fairly high; usually above 3k.
I've used the riser methods as well, but I find using the wings is less strain, and I'm lazy.
But what do I know?

I do admit that I have pulled a few times before without my legwing collapsed completely. I definitely see this as a possible cause of the twists I had. Thanks for the advice on the twists!

maybe "electra" is part of the cause ?? hehe :P as in elleptical ... :) good job saving yourselve dude ! see you friday at my place, buy you food and drinks (if there are other people who want to come over, you're welcome :P... ;) euro's are cheap these days )
oxygen wingsuitteam
check out our newest movie
Trainingweek Seville Spain 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtzc1RDzDQ

The few twists Ive had, pushing the risers together also worked amazingly well.

Im not sure who it was that initialy started preaching this technique...Brian Germaine or some of the PD factory team boys..
But worth noting, and usingB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

maybe "electra" is part of the cause ?? hehe :P as in elleptical ... :)

we are moving away form the original thread, but would you consider an Electra as Elliptical ? Would you consider it as a HP canopy (or too much of an HP canopy for wingsuiting), specially at that wingloading ?

For those unfamiliar with the Electra, it is more or less the same as a Silhouette, 9cell, slightly tapered, half F111, half ZP.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM