sdctlc

GK Ben B Trying again for Distance Record

On April 14th at 0800 Central time, SSG Ben Borger will exit a C-17 flown by members of the 58th Airlift squadron from an altitude of 32 thousand feet at Altus Air force Base in Oklahoma. SSG Borger will be attempting to break the recognized Guinness World record and other records for distance covered in a wingsuit. SSG Borger will exit from the tail of the C-17 at 32 thousand feet and fly his wingsuit back to the intended dropzone before deploying his main parachute. In addition to his Tony Suit wingsuit, SSG Borger will be using equipment sponsored by Performance Designs ( Storm 107), Alti-2 ( MA-10, Neptune 3), Advanced Aerospace Designs (Vigil II military version) and Liquid Eyewear.

A second attempt is scheduled for the 15th as a back up incase of bad weather or mechanical issues. More to follow as the event draws near.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The Golden Knights website states this being the second attempt this year.

SSG Ben Borger attempted the World Record distance in freefall with a wingsuit on Feb 22, 2010. SSG Borger was able to travel 10 miles from an altitude of 25,000ft and was in freefall for five minutes.  He will be attempting another record at Altus AFB, OK on 14 Apr 2010.

Any more specific details on excact altitude (exit/pull) freefall time/fallrate and distance flown/upper winds?
Most jumps like these tend to not go beyond the media quotes of a rough distance or time in rounded figures..

A list with altitude records so far (official and unofficial) can be found here
Hope to see Ben on the top slot soon!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thats a typo, Ben did that jump in 2009, there is a thread in the forums here on it. I posted all the info about that jump in that original thread.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The sun rose behind the Altus Air Force Base flightline this morning to reveal beautiful skies and weather that far exceeded expectations for today's big jump. It was an early start for everyone, as the team loaded bags and equipment in the van at 0400. Once at the aircraft, everyone went to work like a well-oiled machine. Golden Knights media relations set up three tripods to record in-flight video, and SFC Arlyn Slade performed pre-mission checks on SSG Borger's parachute and equipment.

Prebreathing started at 0600 on the nose, as maintenance technicians did last minute checks of the aircraft electrical systems. About five minutes into prebreathing, the technicians found that there was a problem with the aircraft's emergency backup power system, which put everyone involved in high gear immediately. Luckily, the planning process had been exhaustive so everyone knew exactly what do do. The alternate aircraft was parked 100 feet away and and was fired up within minutes of the discovery. Crew members disconnected their oxygen, rushed to the other aircraft, and reconnected their masks as quickly as they could. Meanwhile, ground support personnel brought the gear and cameras and reconfigured the new aircraft for the mission. Everything was back on track in no time and the hitch only pushed the drop time back by 20 minutes.

Wheels were up at 0720 and the aircraft immediately began the climb to 32,000 feet. Everything went as planned while in flight, and SSG Borger exited the C-17 at 0749 and landed safely at approximately 0756. He traveled a total of 11.5 miles and now holds the world record for greatest distance traveled while in freefall. SSG Borger was in freefall for 6 minutes 35 seconds, just short of the current world record of 6:48.

Overall, the jump went well and everyone was safe. The level of support the Golden Knights have received from everyone at Altus is unparalleled and the successful attempt could not have been possible without them.

Story and pictures by SGT Rachel Medley

Full story and pictures HERE
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The level of support the Golden Knights have received from everyone at Altus is unparalleled

yeah, 2 c17's for 1 jumper, thats the kind of support I'd like to have at my DZ :D

congrats
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The sun rose behind the Altus Air Force Base flightline this morning to reveal beautiful skies and weather that far exceeded expectations for today's big jump. It was an early start for everyone, as the team loaded bags and equipment in the van at 0400. Once at the aircraft, everyone went to work like a well-oiled machine. Golden Knights media relations set up three tripods to record in-flight video, and SFC Arlyn Slade performed pre-mission checks on SSG Borger's parachute and equipment.

Prebreathing started at 0600 on the nose, as maintenance technicians did last minute checks of the aircraft electrical systems. About five minutes into prebreathing, the technicians found that there was a problem with the aircraft's emergency backup power system, which put everyone involved in high gear immediately. Luckily, the planning process had been exhaustive so everyone knew exactly what do do. The alternate aircraft was parked 100 feet away and and was fired up within minutes of the discovery. Crew members disconnected their oxygen, rushed to the other aircraft, and reconnected their masks as quickly as they could. Meanwhile, ground support personnel brought the gear and cameras and reconfigured the new aircraft for the mission. Everything was back on track in no time and the hitch only pushed the drop time back by 20 minutes.

Wheels were up at 0720 and the aircraft immediately began the climb to 32,000 feet. Everything went as planned while in flight, and SSG Borger exited the C-17 at 0749 and landed safely at approximately 0756. He traveled a total of 11.5 miles and now holds the world record for greatest distance traveled while in freefall. SSG Borger was in freefall for 6 minutes 35 seconds, just short of the current world record of 6:48.

Overall, the jump went well and everyone was safe. The level of support the Golden Knights have received from everyone at Altus is unparalleled and the successful attempt could not have been possible without them.

Just out of curiosity....what kind of $$$ does an operation like this cost to put on? I can't imagine having 2 planes of that size is a cheap bill for the taxpayers to foot....

Very cool!

From www.yumasun.com/news/suit-48037-attempt-wing.html last year:

"The current record Borger and Campos will attempt to break was set in 2005 by a Spanish Birdman team who flew 12.47 miles for a total of six minutes over the Strait of Gibraltar."

Was that distance disqualified or incorrect for some reason?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John, that distance(12.47) was not verified or submitted to Guinness. As it stands, the recognized record is/was 10 miles. Unofficially, there seems to be several flights that claim longer distances but none documented or verified by outside sources.

Here is an update on Ben's flight
Video

Updated story
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I asked them that question in Empuria Brava, and the Spanish team answered they never submitted the data, as they liked Adrian Nicholas listed as the best performance in the Guiness Book of Records..

But records are ultimately there to be beaten...so congrats to Ben! And curious to see the next one...:)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just out of curiosity....what kind of $$$ does an operation like this cost to put on? I can't imagine having 2 planes of that size is a cheap bill for the taxpayers to foot....

You are having war with almost the half of the 3rd world, from your tax money...., than you are complaining about 2 high altitude flights............:S

Scott,

I am guessing that Ben had a nifty armored military version of the Neptune (or something similar) It would be cool to see the freefall data graph off of that.

Knowing about the variability for those units, were multiple measuring units used? Also to get the exact distance and time, maybe a GPS.. Where were the measuring instruments mounted to get the best and most accurate readings?

Thanks
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I think the free advertising/publicity they get with this kind of event/record is collecting a lot more potential recruits and positive attention for the army than any other type of advertising could ever bring in.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Scott,

I am guessing that Ben had a nifty armored military version of the Neptune (or something similar) It would be cool to see the freefall data graph off of that.

Knowing about the variability for those units, were multiple measuring units used? Also to get the exact distance and time, maybe a GPS.. Where were the measuring instruments mounted to get the best and most accurate readings?

Thanks
Scott C.

Ben used the Alti-2 MA-10 Military altimeter, the military Neptune and the N3A (audible).

Distances were verified by the Navigator on the aircraft using the aircrafts GPS from the time Ben exited and the GPS coordinates were taken from the exact spot he landed at. Sworn statements from the aircrew and those involved with verifying the distances were also taken.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Quit with the taxpayer bs,,,:S The pilots are being paid to fly so whats the diff ? They are testing equipment and having fun along with positive events taking place,,,your local town goverment wastes a ton more,,

That wasn't my question. Don't try to politicize it.

I was curious as to what the operational costs of this event were. No more, no less.

John, that distance(12.47) was not verified or submitted to Guinness. As it stands, the recognized record is/was 10 miles. Unofficially, there seems to be several flights that claim longer distances but none documented or verified by outside sources.

Here is an update on Ben's flight
Video

Updated story

OK, thanks. Great effort!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Distances were verified by the Navigator on the aircraft using the aircrafts GPS from the time Ben exited and the GPS coordinates were taken from the exact spot he landed at.

Shouldnt this be point of exit and point of deployment/opening instead of landing position?
The 3k canopy ride can add, or substract quite a bit of distance, and doesnt give the most accurate representation of distance traveled in freefall...or so Id think?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Distances were verified by the Navigator on the aircraft using the aircrafts GPS from the time Ben exited and the GPS coordinates were taken from the exact spot he landed at.

so how can we be sure he didn't deploy & ride his canopy very early like at 25 000 ft....strange !:S
Patrick de Guillebon