timve

PD storm 150 reserveride...

150 WS jumps on a stiletto 150, wl 1.5... never faced a spin that came close to this pull...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNntKwRRrUs&feature=email

It was a pull in full flight, max speed. Something I never dared to do with the stiletto, that's why I bought the Storm. Nice pulls in full flight. >:(. (It was probably a hesitation of the bag causing it to spin up, dumping the lines (lazy bag) with this result ...:S
oxygen wingsuitteam
check out our newest movie
Trainingweek Seville Spain 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtzc1RDzDQ

I was under main at 3000 Ft. (first dytter signal you hear under canopy) reserve pull was intentional (no rsl or skyhook) Under reserve at approx. 1800 Ft (first swoop beep of my optima is set at 1200 ft, second signal on the vid.)
No intention of me to kick out of it. before I knew i was spinning around. There was wingmaterial stuck between my hand and cutaway handle, had to grab with left hand, followed my arm with my right hand to locate cutaway, immediatly after cutaway, pulled reservehandle, which I found quite fast ... :P It never came across my mind to flip over before reservepull, twisted my back a bit to the side (at least my brain gave that command to my muscles (don't know if they responded though ;). Pop top ejected nice aside my body.
surprised me that a avaredge loaded STORM 1.5 was able to do such things ... (especially when you see the lines weren't that assymetric spun up ... quite some g forces to...

oxygen wingsuitteam

yay! you didn't throw your handles!

i'm also curious about whether you use an rsl. i've disconnected mine for wingsuit. using one just seems like a bad idea.

I had two cutaways while spinning on my back, and the RSL beat me both times. The reserve opened fine in both cases. Equipment:

Main Sabre 2 190
Reserve Super Raven 218-M
Wingsuit Vampire 1

I still use my RSL.

Purple Mike

That spin seemed really violent. Do you have the impression that if it had gone on much longer you would have been at risk of passing out?

Could that be what happened to Pete?

Also, it never occurred to me that the wing material could be covering either of your handles... good to know.

Good job on saving yourself and thanks for sharing the information.
... Marion

Of course it's difficult and speculative to talk about what could have happened if. From my point of view, and from what I recall, the spin was far more intense than extended spiralling down on an open canopy. It was hard to reach and get hold of the reservehandles (needed concentration and force), there was a sort of "decrease" of awareness during the EP. I was fully aware at the cutaway, the reservepull instead is a bit more blurry. I think it might be possible to loose awareness in this kind of malfunction, when it continues to long.
oxygen wingsuitteam

Also, it never occurred to me that the wing material could be covering either of your handles... good to know.

That is one reason to put your hands high on your harness right after deploying. It collapses the arm wing and if you need to get to your handles, there is less chance of the arm wing coming up and covering them. Slide you hand down your harness and you have a hand full of handle.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

That is one reason to put your hands high on your harness right after deploying. It collapses the arm wing and if you need to get to your handles, there is less chance of the arm wing coming up and covering them. Slide you hand down your harness and you have a hand full of handle.

Doing that also reduces your burble.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Did you in any way roll the nose Tim?
And if so, outer cells into the center-cell, or all cells rolled one direction? (I dont think rolling cells is needed).

And how where the openings on other jumps that week?
Weird/compareable, or normal?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I had two cutaways while spinning on my back, and the RSL beat me both times. The reserve opened fine in both cases

You cannot beat the RSL unless you pull both handles at the same time

reserve deployment on your back is not advised but better than spending the rest of your life getting stable.

To me it didn't look that violent - it was just a spinning main - thats what they do - I wouldn't blame the canopy .......... your throwing out a bag of fabric at 100mph --- sometimes shit happens .......... to any make of canopy

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Did you in any way roll the nose Tim?
And if so, outer cells into the center-cell, or all cells rolled one direction? (I dont think rolling cells is needed).

And how where the openings on other jumps that week?
Weird/compareable, or normal?

I never roll the nose in any way, just loose trash packing. Fine deployments rest of the week.
fine canopy for WS purposes :P

I think it was due to a lazybag hesitation (blocked flap) wich caused the lines to twist up fast. when leaving the bag it just kept spinning. Never had any problems with the lazybag before.

:o:owhat do you mean by comparable ? like in, yeah I have been twisting like that all week, 10 chops a little fuzzy but i'll live ??:P
oxygen wingsuitteam

That spin seemed really violent. Do you have the impression that if it had gone on much longer you would have been at risk of passing out?

Could that be what happened to Pete?

Good job on saving yourself and thanks for sharing the information.

I'd be willing to bet a lot that this is not what happened to Pete. From ground and video observation, I'm confident that something occurred at opening that incapacitated him. He is observed/recorded under canopy almost immediately following opening and he is non-responsive through the entire descent. The spin is not "violent" but rather like a half-brake toggle turn to one side (both toggles were stowed).

I had two cutaways while spinning on my back, and the RSL beat me both times. The reserve opened fine in both cases.

deploying in a spin on my back is a pretty good reason NOT to jump with an RSL when flying wingsuit.

As mentioned during safety day at the DZ, it is a lot better to be landing with line twists than at line stretch.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

As mentioned during safety day at the DZ, it is a lot better to be landing with line twists than at line stretch.

indeed, but what altitude are you pulling at? i consistently pull at 5K on wingsuit jumps. if i can't evaluate a malfunction, cutaway, get belly to earth and deploy my reserve at that altitude, then i've got no business skydiving in the first place. i feel more comfortable handling the situtation myself than trying to deal with a potential ball of shit that i had no control over.

btw, i have an RSL, i don't like it much, but have made a conscious decision to disconnect it on wingsuit jumps.

peace.

150 WS jumps on a stiletto 150, wl 1.5... never faced a spin that came close to this pull...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNntKwRRrUs&feature=email

It was a pull in full flight, max speed. Something I never dared to do with the stiletto, that's why I bought the Storm. Nice pulls in full flight. >:(. (It was probably a hesitation of the bag causing it to spin up, dumping the lines (lazy bag) with this result ...:S

Several things could have caused the line twist when deploying at max speed. But what I'm curious about is the altitude you unstowed your brakes on your reserve, and why you took so long doing it?
Do you not think brakes ever hang up on a reserve? It would be wise to make sure your last canopy is flyable at a higher altitude, or have alittle altitude to work it out if something went wrong. You'll find yourself spinning into the dirt trying to fix something you should have taken care of higher....:S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

took me some time to stuff away my handles and loosen my legwing. At the time it seemed not to take that much time, afterwards when reviewing the tape it surely did. Should have unstowed them first to get full flight of the reserve with extratime to evaluate possible hang ups of toggles ! good point you make there ! ;)

oxygen wingsuitteam