Titanium_Gecko

Nearly a year wingsuit flying - what next?

Evening All,

I'm not "really" looking for an answer but just wanted to put my own muse on my last year out into the wider world.

Soo.... in vague chronological order....

Solo first flights at CERPS Saumur in France,
Coaching (Re-education) at Brienne Le Chateau with S-Fly,
Suit upgrade over Saumur,
First Flight in UK at Langar where learnt to jump,
Coaching and Group Stuff at Hibaldstow by PF,
Solo flights at Langar,
Coaching and Group Stuff at Sibson by BM,
Downsized to ex-demo canopy from Icarus,
Solo flights at Tilstock,
Getting involved with Gath UK,
Solo flights at Black Knights,
Flights next to BM and PF clad newbies at Langar,

Wow-Weeee!!

I'd only managed 169 jumps in 8 years before 2009, read never managed a 4-point 4-way. I've now flown at 7 different dropzones in 2 countries from 7 different planes flying next to or seeing 12 odd suit models in the air. The amazing airborne experiences have been matched at every stage by the people I've met, friends I've made and sights I've seen, and I actually feel I belong to a community more now than ever before.

A massive jump in currency has improved my all round ability but would strongly recommend (virtually insist) any wannabe to be current at flat or free flying before starting and getting in-air coaching as soon as possible. These guys have progressed quicker and mastered formation stuff more easily (than me) from what I've seen. The brand wars, interdisciplinary jousting, national mickey-taking and judging implosion have been "interesting" to observe but I'm sure that they will all fade, a bit at least, in time (for me) with more time in the AIR! Let alone look smaller doing a +20k jump, one day....lol.

All in all, I'm happy with the decisions I've made over the last year and tried to learn from every jump (sorry PF I'm a bit slow) and just want to do more of everything. Read, still trying to learn to fly like a Frenchman....lol.

What next.....
An easter break to see some European friends, hopefully
A canaopy piloting course in the UK,
A wingsuit coaching trip to France,
Buying a new AAD,

.....and then the Summer at which point my plans are less clear.....lol.

I hope to make it to the USA later in the year and get involved with some bigger stuff on this side of the pond but we shall see.

VERY Blue Skies,

Gecko
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Evening All,

What's going on 'ere then?

A massive jump in currency has improved my all round ability but would strongly recommend (virtually insist) any wannabe to be current at flat or free flying before starting and getting in-air coaching as soon as possible. These guys have progressed quicker and mastered formation stuff more easily (than me) from what I've seen.

I agree. If you can't fly in proximity in regular RW (or VRW), you surely won't be able to do it in a wingsuit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just want to do more of everything. Read, still trying to learn to fly like a Frenchman....

Humming the national anthem while holding a croissant in one hand and a picture of the eifel tower in the other?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Most people which have flown with the french birds would define the "French Style" like:

- knowing what it means to "fly your body"
- flying together
- learning a lot with each flight per excellent feedback

Look at some photos or watch some videos of french skill camps...

As a no-french speaking stupid alien, flying a no-french suit I was always welcome - no national thing or brand war...
Could be seen as an ideal of behaviour for our sport IMHO...

Cordially,
Herwig

Yippeeee, I've got some replies - Thanks Folks!

It's the standard GoPro with the helmet mount on my hand underneath a glove (and a hole to the top to screw the camera on). I can then have it pointing inwards or outwards when flying with others.

Croissant in on hand and Effiel Tower in the other? Mmmmm, tough call. Even though I'm an engineer I think it would have to be Pain au Raisin in each hand (because I do actually have both hands free :P)!! LOL! I recon I can now hum under the Gath RV but will test that next jump and get back to you all.

I recon there is still a bit more to come from my suit and me yet, hence, the reference to flying like a Frenchman, really. I've already learned a lot from some clever Brits and a Dutch Dude. Skills Camp in May will be the first time I'll have flown with a group of S-Flyers. Yes, I'm thinking abouting demo'ing the S-Fly Verso with a view to buying that in the next year or so but will try the other big hitters. The best way for me to help and hopefully oneday coach newbies is to have flown their suits as well.

See a few shots of GoPro facing outwards of UK Newbie Matt's 6th & 7th Flights in a PF PhantomII at the end of January - Give him a BIG warm welcome to the flock - Great flying (and suit)!!

Blue Skies,

Gecko

www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

I see how the marketing thing works, but good flying isnt limited to one geographic location.
If people would start looking a little further, they would see they could apply the same flying technique to any suit, brand or person, and just saying 'skilled' instead of 'French' is a more honest, accurate and progressive description.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If people would start looking a little further, they would see they could apply the same flying technique to any suit, brand or person, and just saying 'skilled' instead of 'French' is a more honest, accurate and progressive description.

Jarno - Duely noted! I totally agree. Thanks, Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com