mccordia

Wingsuit Proximity Flying Game

Looking good. Couple of questions though.

1. Do you plan on incorporating an altimeter reading on screen for the jumper so they can follow their altitude in relation to the terrain below them at any given point during the flight?

2. In the demo it appears that the jumpers fly upwards in relation to the terrain and more like an airplane than a wingsuit jumper, which makes picking a suitable line less important. Will the game use a glide ratio to keep track of the jumpers descent in a realistic manner and make the users choice of a line and survivability more realistic?

3. In the multiplayer mode, as seen in the demo, is it possible for the two jumpers to collide with one another? If they do, what happens in the game?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Altimeter: maybe, but that depends on the actual gameplay we decide on.
'real' basejumping only has the visual indications, and is not really an altimeter based sport (as in, needing to read it during flight. But for sure an option.

All flying seen is according to 'real' glide, recovery arcs and rough estemates of flying performance.
The 'uphill' flying is mostly caused by lack of detail in the terrain. But its physics at work (simulated) and not jet powered flying (though again, for Martijn, easily possible as an option should you want to)

Colliding: you bump and tumble, and things can go to shit depending on altitude and skills ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Altimeter: maybe, but that depends on the actual gameplay we decide on.
'real' basejumping only has the visual indications, and is not really an altimeter based sport (as in, needing to read it during flight. But for sure an option.

The reason I bring it up is there is no real depth in the demo to give the flier an idea of how high they are above the terrain that would otherwise be done by eye in the real world. At some points it looks like the fliers are well above the terrain which is obvious in the beginning but as they move closer to the terrain there are no visual indicators that give the flier a sense of how close they are and that real world gravity is present.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Agreed, it's very hard to get a sense of scale and depth currently. I'm aware of this, and as production continues this issue will be worked on; it's just not a priority right now, since that stuff will mostly be solved in terms of presentation. :)

An altimeter is planned. There's one in the game now actually, that measures the distance to sea level, as well as whatever object is directly below you. It's just the the game's interface doesn't really show it prominently and there's no audio queues.

The other thing is, like Jarno says, terrain with recognisable features. Trees, buildings, etc.

Also, right now the physics are tweaked so that when you flare really hard you can fly up for a few meters. Not sure if that's completely true to life, but it sure is fun to play with. I'll give users some way to tweak the lift, drag, and muscle systems to suit their realism needs. However, I'm building a game first and foremost. Simulating for sake of realism alone has a tendency to dampen fun. Most of the more exotic gametypes I'm planning are actually very gamey; it's the best way to fully explore the mechanics of flight. :)

Agreed, it's very hard to get a sense of scale and depth currently. I'm aware of this, and as production continues this issue will be worked on; it's just not a priority right now, since that stuff will mostly be solved in terms of presentation. :)

Easy! 3D! B|:P

It's all the hype in the movie theaters these days...

But: I'd rather play the game sooner than later; 3d could be a cool future feature. :)
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Aaaand a proper trailer with plenty of footage this time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVw7Wk-5v0

Throughout the development of this prototype I've been able to determine some key elements that need work, the most important one is the wings. Right now I'm drawing plans to simulate ram-air surfaces in greater detail, so that they deform based on inflation and body position. :)

Looks awesome!
Is there a way to maybe have a beginner level with some options like:

a green line/symbology identifying the proper line that would turn red if you are too low to fly over the upcoming up slope?

As in a tutorial for non jumpers.

I assume when the game is fully developed you'll have multiple maps.

Maybe if the first option is too much you can just have a direction arrow that directs the jump toward the intended line/route.

if you are planning on a points-style game would you get more point for flying lower and trickier maneuvers in the line?

somewhat in the vein of the skateboarding/motocross game.

What ever you decide it looks like it'll be a fun game to play. cant wait to see it.
My photos

My Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRz5fa7yIEs

Highlights: New, much more dynamics chase camera. Extra joint in the character's back resulting in smoother and more natural movement.

I'm also in the process of integrating McCordia's 3d wingsuit model, but animating the cloth parts is turning out to be tough. More on that soon! Once that is in I'll create a better looking environment, and then some beta testing is in order .:)

From the videos, it looks very promising. Being a dev too I know that the last 10% of a software is usually 90% of the work, so please do take your time and polish all those lovely details that are going to make the game awesome to play, but i have to say, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Do you have a beta tester list yet ? Can I join in ? :-)

but animating the cloth parts is turning out to be tough. More on that soon! Once that is in I'll create a better looking environment, and then some beta testing is in order .:)

remember too that wingsuits flap less and less these days. subtle cloth vibration is cool, but watching a lot of pf's new stuff as well as tonysuits, they lock in pretty solid, and only have some flap when your shutting down your wings a bit to get down.

Have you seen the fastback thing for the V4? It flaps like crazy...not like the TonySuit Fastbacks...So, depending on manufacturer there can be quite a bit of movement/vibration going on.

One thing I would like to ask about is the addition of the Kinect. How are you working that into the design, or is it going to even be a thought? I think that would be one of the more immersive qualities to the simulation, otherwise if it's going to be played with a controller it will be more of an arcade game.

I so hope that this will be an actual simulation with real flying technique rather than a controlstick/keyboard input.

Not sure what 'flaps like crazy' you're talking about?
Ive seen about 20 hours of V3/V4 footage in the edits I do, and have seem some ripples going over the inflated wing, but 'flapping'. Not really.

There will always be some vibrations in wingsuit fabric. Sometimes even wild flapping (which Ive seen for every manufacturer at certain points, especially in some more recent suits with changed arm inlets designs for one).

That aside...this project is on a temp. hold due to a more portable/smaller thing we're working on first to get something of the ground faster....B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

in reply to "Good call, I almost ignored that fact when I started working on the wing animation. Having the wings rigid most of the time gives us some leeway. :) "

Amazing:o
Can it be possible for the player to alter their suit design? possibly fly the full range of suits?
Perhaps the possibility can be allowed for as you model the suit.
congrats on a great effort

Anything is possible....time (and needing to pay the rent in the meantime) make it another thing..

We're currently working on another (similar) project, which will add a lot of knowledge, skills and experience to the programming work Martijn is doing, and also help with the funds that will make Volo what it strives to be.....B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This game is looking awesome. Not sure on your timeline/funding situation, but have you considered creating a Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/) project to help get this thing finished and released?

I know I'd donate right now if it were on Kickstarter, especially if it meant I got access to a beta at some point ;-)

Cheers.