trixonik

6' bridle vs 9' bridle comparison (S-bird)

Also notice the twisting the bag does in stows coming undone...
A lot of times twists atributed to body positions seem to be caused by line-stows coming of. Having the bag flip/flop to the sides in the proces.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If that was happenng regularly I'd put money on it being your old pilot chute rather than your old bridle.

I upgraded to a pilotchute the size of a house, as the bigger suits do give of a huge burble, and never have any hesitations.
Agreed, a good and functional pilotchute is step 1 to checkB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thank you for that video. If you ever held a PC out of the window of your car at 40km/h you can hardly imagine that a PC won't open your container. However I had a PC-in-tow last year when jumping a BLADE 2, and this video seems to explain a lot about it.

I borrowed gear with a 6' bridle and jumped it with my SM1. For me, it was not a good idea, and I won't do it again, ever.

I don't know about the "won't do it again, ever," but it can have its downside.
http://vimeo.com/9133819

One of my rigs has a 6' bridle and a 30" Cazer PC with less than 100 jumps on it. I jump it when I've got nothing else packed or when I'm letting a student jump my Voodoo. If you know it's a likely experience, you just compensate for it. But it still is a less-than-optimal experience, I agree.

I resisted the longer bridle for absolutely no reason for a long time. Now that ive switched, ill never go back. Ive been known to take my flights slightly lower than average on occasion, and the 9 foot bridle and sabre 1 combination are amazing. on heading, fast but comfortable opening. People that dont jump a 9 foot bridle, just do it.

I don't know about the "won't do it again, ever,"

I said "I" won't do it again, and was careful to state that it was "my" experience.
I don't care what anybody else does, but thought my experience may be helpful for some. Obviously yours is different. I hope nobody takes it as a recommendation to not use a long bridle with a wingsuit, however, as everything I've read stated the opposite, and in "my" case it was right.
But what do I know?

One more time, more slowly this go 'round. I'm agreeing with you, Ed.
I have three rigs. Two have a 9' bridle. One has a 6' bridle.
I prefer the 9' bridle for wingsuiting. Occasionally I use the container with the 6' bridle. I'm not thrilled about it, so can't say "won't do it again, ever.
I also borrow rigs from time to time when I travel. More n' likely, they have 6' bridles in them. But i'll still jump the rig, cuz that's what's available.

There is nothing "dangerous" about a 6' bridle. And if it's a small wingsuit, there is nothing "wrong" with a 6' bridle. Certainly not enough to keep the average skydiver out of the air. If it's a big wingsuit, one needs to merely know how to deal with a short bridle and hesitations.
But I'm not a fan of short bridles either. Hence the reason for the lil' video clip.
Hopefully that helps clear up any question you had about what I was suggesting, Ed. ;)

A note on the other end of this spectrum.

I want to make it clear to anyone who may be reading this thread and thinking of moving to a longer bridle that "more" or "if 9' feet is good then 12' must be even better" is the way to go. 9' feet is the longest anyone needs to go from pin to PC attachment point. More than 9' is not better in this matter and a very good description and details of how more can get you in trouble can be found by searching "long bridles" by Tom Aiello here in the wingsuit forum and even more over on the base forum by Tom.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My personal experience is that it depends on the size of a wingsuit. I decided to go longer because I was consistenly having issues with hesitation, to the point that I had been reaching for my handles. I remember jumping an intro when I was getting started with a 6' / 24" and had no issues at all. I've jumped with a friend who is smaller than me and flying a raptor or r-bird and he rarely has any PC hesitation with a 6' bridle. I spoke with the guys at chutingstar.com and told them exactly what I was jumping and they reccomended a 24"" PC with a 9' bridle.

I also second what Scott says above here.

A lot of times I see people fly insanely long bridles, cut up the corners on rigs and doing a lot of other stuff that could often be fixed by focussing on a more positive throw and functional/new pilotchute (slightly bigger in size than the mini-pilotchutes most rigs seem to have standard these days).

And mind the wingsuit you jump with what canopy. A lot of times bigger suits come with biggger burbles, and also potentialy cause smaller canopies (shorter lines) to be initiating deployment partialy in your burble. Causing all kinds of silly stuff.

There are a ton of potential fixes for opening issues. But dont take em into the extreme. And try one fix at the time AFTER analysis of the problem you are encountering.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

My personal experience is that it depends on the size of a wingsuit. I decided to go longer because I was consistenly having issues with hesitation, to the point that I had been reaching for my handles. I remember jumping an intro when I was getting started with a 6' / 24" and had no issues at all. I've jumped with a friend who is smaller than me and flying a raptor or r-bird and he rarely has any PC hesitation with a 6' bridle. I spoke with the guys at chutingstar.com and told them exactly what I was jumping and they reccomended a 24"" PC with a 9' bridle.

I think a 24 inch PC is too small, 28 to 30" should do the job
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Based on what? 24" ZP PC should be fine canopy size 150 and smaller.

http://www.atairaerodynamics.com/FAQ.html#three

Based on what? 24" ZP PC should be fine canopy size 150 and smaller.

http://www.atairaerodynamics.com/FAQ.html#three

Im made many differnt sized P chutes and the small ones created line twists, change back to the bigger PC and line twists stop,
my expieriance
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Im made many differnt sized P chutes and the small ones created line twists, change back to the bigger PC and line twists stop,
my expieriance

I use 2 rigs with WS: Triathlon160 with BirdMan PC, long bridle, 28" ZP, Cobalt135 with Crazer 24" ZP PC, normal bridle.

When I started jumping Stealth I went back to student style opening with going vertical, the result was not so bright: one day I got knot on my long bridle twice. I open from flight since than.

I got lots of jump with my other rig, Cobalt with normal bridle, 24" ZP PC. I got no hesitation problem at all. It opens as usual, that PC has ~300 jumps so far.

I got about 100 jumps with a 32" F111 PC with <2m bridle without any hesitation problem. I jumped a Phantom with that PC.

The only hesitation I had was with my Javelin's PC, size 28-29", I got it replaced in no time.

Are both of your containers Jav's or is the other one a different brand?

The knot issue you mentioned is possibly due to your hackey handle being too heavy. It could have happened with a 6' bridle just as easily as we've seen in the past here in the forums.

I will also caution people against going with a "bigger is better" attitude with regards to PCs. As I mentioned above about bridle lengths, there is also good discussions on PC size by Tom A here in the forum and over at the BASE forum. Going too radical with PC size can create a whole new set of problems that can contribute to and or cause others.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

"Are both of your containers Jav's or is the other one a different brand?"
I got a VectorII and a Javelin TNJ.

The knot issue you mentioned is possibly due to your hackey handle being too heavy. It could have happened with a 6' bridle just as easily as we've seen in the past here in the forums.

That's a theory. After went back for deploying from full flight my opening got better and I have not seen a knot on bridle anymore.

I got a VectorII and a Javelin TNJ.

By chance are the bottom corners on your TNJ pack tray sewn further up than on your Vector II? From the little information you have posted, it seems like there are more variables involved here than just the length difference in the two bridles that may be contributing to your issue and subsequent conclusion.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

In the video's you're jumpng a new bridle and a new pilot chute. I would be very careful in jumping to the conclusion that the bridle was the answer when you've also changed PC.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I use a 9ft bridle when doing ANYTHING let alone Wingsuiting. Its a BASE jumping habbit that i have thrown into my skydiving. A few extra feet creates more snatch force and escapes the burble. The positives of a 9ft bridle simply outweigh the negatives.

But as Lou has already said if you want to go nuts with crazy bridles read the info by Tom A

Then I am new to WS anyway so I don't know how much of a burble the bigger suits create, all i know is i don't really want to find out if i can do something so simple to prevent it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.