yuri_base

WS World Record, L/D Edition, Ranch Summer 2010

I knew it........Yuri you really are a closet flocker.;) Thats what this is when you boil it down, flocking the way it was meant to be done.

I've got footage of at least a 6 way and a 5 way from the last Cochstedt boogie somewhere of a group of Finns, some Swiss dudes and myself flying slots to this standard. Juan has some video of these jumps too I believe. I'm sure there are others who have similar footage/experiences out there. I think you will find that there are more people than you think that can and have already done this without the L/D unicorn apparatus. Anything that encourages flying with ones legs straight is a step in the right direction at this point and I think we are at the point where we have enough people with the skill to start doing just that in small to medium sized groups. Heres to straight leg flocking.:D:D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Flying at high performance levels isnt a new thing.
Even at the wingsuitcompetition in Italy it showed teams aiming for faster/better flying got in better freefall times and distances (notable by opening spot). It happens everywhere.

Though its easy to go overboard, and I think pushing the performance level with a complete formation is key.
Slowly increasing it, with a complete formation. Instead of a balistic base nobody can catch, and shooting for bragging rights.

The gradual increase proposed by Yuri sets a good base for development.. In this form and shape, definately a good first (and hopefully with more accurate results than GPS based measuring).

A similar idea (flying a complete 4 way diamond, in frame) was also suggested for Marl a year or two ago. Also a format thats definately interesting to explore more.

If coming to Zflock, maybe also bring your device and lets play!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm disappointed.

Jesus Fucking Christ, lurch, I serve you your own shit and you're "disappointed"?! Should I have topped it with a swirl of whipped cream over caramel syrup?

I know you can do better than that.

Ok, ok, let me try. Come closer. Closer. A bit farther. Ok. Now lower. Lower. Ok, just perfect!

Now, open your mouth and close your eyes.

Ready?

i YURINATE ON YOU!!!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I hope you found what you've been looking for, as you've been stalking me in this forum like a lunatic. Apparently, you've just been starving for the Golden Shower.

Oh, almost forgot: you can now close your mouth shut. :ph34r:
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I agree, Scott. Flocking should not sacrifice the awe of flying.

My only vivid memory of flocking was this jump we did at the Ranch in New York about 3 years ago. A girl from UK was visiting, Winnie her name, she's well known in BASE circles. In the plane, usual question: "So, what do we do?" (there was her, me, and 2 or 3 other guys) She says immediately with her beautiful smile, "We max out." We jump out, and from there it was pure flying magic. She was the first, we followed. She was hard to follow, I maxed out as much as I could and matched her glide (she was in S3, I think, I was in in my trusty Phantom1). It was one of those magic carpet rides when you feel that even if you move your facial muscles as the grin covers your face, you're gonna fall out of the sky like a rock as the air cannot physically support you. This sensation is magical, memorable, awesome.

So yeah, there's f10cking, and there's real flying with like-minded pilots.

2010. Flocking reinvented. B|

I know Wendy from several years back, put her through the BMI course. She is fun to fly with. Although I haven't seen or heard from her in a long time. Not sure she is jumping anymore.

So.....How's it feel to finally come out of the flocking closet?:D:P

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Winnie Chang, not Wendy. Haven't heard from her for a couple of years.

I feel great. FFF's flying at top notch performance levels would be awesome. Imagine a WS N-way flying by a CRW diamond AND OUTPERFORMING their glide. With smoke on each pilot and cameraman flying on the other side of CRW formation as they're passing by... A sight to behold.

2010. Flying wins.

Bravo!
Spoken like a true intellectual!
*hands Yuri a fresh diaper*
Get cleaned up. You're embarassing yourself.
If I weren't a friend of yours, I'd be ashamed to say I knew ya. From one comic to another, have a little dignity.

On the other hand for you, Yuri, pissing yourself in public is one of the more intelligent things you could have done in a comic fight. Its a tough move to match.
Its intended to provoke your opponent into snapping and knocking himself to an even lower level.
Now, I could counter that move by continuing to play Straight Man to your Clown, or I could snap and go even MORE clown.
I could just scold you or come off cold, thats called playing Straight Man.
Or I could give you some answering toilet-humor flame, either angry and gross or going for a oneup by being more lyrically vicious, which are approaches to playing the Clown.
Neither would work here.
Its actually a very effective attack, Yuri. Well played. One of the best trolls I've ever seen. I'd say it would provoke 90% of people into some some emotional response that'd make em look bad.

So how about a Straight Man/Clown Combo?
You're still going to have to do better than that Yuri. Because I'm not gonna do either of those things. Instead, I'm going to just tell you if you wanna get serious, get serious. What are your longest distances and times? Throw down, lets see what you got.
Make your claims.
Whats the best you've done? Distance, time, wind at your back, or not.

By drawing a line and seeing if you can step up and meet the specs of the people who are actually making the sport happen, your bluff is called. Now, any move you're likely to make is one I manipulated you into.
You could rise to my level of the argument and post some numbers, claim you can fly a certain distance and time. But you'd still get your ass whupped in the sky. You could try to be intelligent enough to wrest control of the comic frame from me, but you'd have to break character to do that, and you're not eloquent enough to pull it off anyway. So you'd still fail.

Or, you could give us another Yuri Special full of incoherent mocking gibberish mixed with occasional math equations, like Andrew Dice Clay and Steven Hawking's brains in a blender.
Which would still just make you look like a lower life form.

Or you could give no response to this at all because you can't think of anything to answer it.
You can close your mouth now, Yuri.

Whats it gonna be, Option A, B, or C?
Entertain me!
:)-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

And on the SEVENTH thought:

Since outside camera essentially makes an N record an N+1 record (cameraman will be flying at the same L/D), N=1 record does not make much sense - it is, in fact, group flying, not solo flying. Which again, slightly impedes the achievement of the highest L/D possible.

And so, let's have two categories of World L/D Record:

1. Solo
2. Group

Solo: only 30s video of L/D meter in flight is needed. Max L/D is the winner.

Group: 30s of video of L/D meter AND of the group in the frame - cameraman will be flying above the group with camera pointing down at the device and the group. Cameraman is included in N. Either max L/D wins (no matter N) or max N for the same L/D (within +/-0.05 margin). Example: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (notice L/D can go down slightly from the previous record, as long as it's within error margin) , [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.

It's that simple.

L/D Meter has error margin of about +/-0.1 but when 30 samples are averaged the result will be more reliable, so the final 0.05 margin makes sense.

L/D Meters will be provided by me at no cost other than shipping. (you'll have to return device back, though.) I'll try and have several by this summer.

Yuri

I remember meeting you and asking if you would like to go fly (not flock) with me, you turned me down. So yeah, there's talking about flying online and then there's flying ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I remember meeting you and asking if you would like to go fly (not flock) with me, you turned me down.

Don't go to Yuri on bended knee!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I remember meeting you and asking if you would like to go fly (not flock) with me, you turned me down.

Awwww, another drama queen cries up... I was not interested in group flying at that moment, I wanted to do a few solos from CASA at Lake Whales. So what's your problem? It's your want vs. my want. "Waaaaaa.... he turned me down.... waaaaaaa". Jeez, WTF is wrong with you people.

And when I jumped immediately after you and your friend, I couldn't get down to you no matter what. I made at least full 360 (maybe 2, don't remember) and still couldn't match your fallrate, all while braking hard. And then I see that at 4K or so, you're still a mile away from DZ AND moving AWAY. That's when I thought, "WTF, these guys have no clue" and turned back to DZ (I was probably 1000ft higher). You still landed at the DZ thanks to honking 30mph+ winds at opening altitude, 20mph on the ground.

I'll post the video if I find it. ;)

It amazes me that at 250lbs and flying a small suit (worn out Phantom-1), I still have to do 360's and still cannot get down to f10cks, even 2-ways like yours (two light, athletic guys in Vampire and Ghost).

And yeah, I like solos best of all. I only do non-solos with my friends and only to FLY, not to FALL.

Get over it. ;)

Awwww, another drama queen cries up... I was not interested in group flying at that moment, I wanted to do a few solos from CASA at Lake Whales. So what's your problem? It's your want vs. my want. "Waaaaaa.... he turned me down.... waaaaaaa". Jeez, WTF is wrong with you people.

And when I jumped immediately after you and your friend, I couldn't get down to you no matter what. I made at least full 360 (maybe 2, don't remember) and still couldn't match your fallrate, all while braking hard. And then I see that at 4K or so, you're still a mile away from DZ AND moving AWAY. That's when I thought, "WTF, these guys have no clue" and turned back to DZ (I was probably 1000ft higher). You still landed at the DZ thanks to honking 30mph+ winds at opening altitude, 20mph on the ground.

I'll post the video if I find it. ;)

It amazes me that at 250lbs and flying a small suit (worn out Phantom-1), I still have to do 360's and still cannot get down to f10cks, even 2-ways like yours (two light, athletic guys in Vampire and Ghost).

And yeah, I like solos best of all. I only do non-solos with my friends and only to FLY, not to FALL.

Get over it. ;)

Hate to break it to you but I was flying a Phantom II and was just learning to back-fly and doing some acrobatics (which I wouldn't have done had you accepted). Don't worry, I was over it the moment you declined ...

PS: I think it's funny that we were playing around almost the entire dive and at 4k you were only 1k above us ... I doubt you could have stayed with us below 4k when we stopped playing around and flew back to the DZ.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Whatever, dude. Stop following me like a maniac. It's not the first time you crying "you turned me down" love song. Is it my tits that mess up your brain? :ph34r:

Stop running after me like a little barking dog after a bus trying to bite the wheels. Get over that traumatic experience you obviously had when I said "I'm maxing out." Get a life. ;)

Actually Yuri by responding as you have, you've selected Option C, an emotional flaming Yuri Special.
Although by finally confronting me directly and asking what my problem is, it means I provoked you into breaking character as well, which is part of Option B so what you've really done is flattered me by imitation with a return combo of your own. A weak combo, but you get points for trying.

You are being trolled, Yuri, by someone better at it than you will ever be. The sense of anger and frustration that caused you to tell me to fuck off, is exactly the same emotion you try to provoke in others with your behavior in these forums. I deliberately provoked it in you, so you would understand how you make others feel with your taunting and mocking behavior. You don't seem to have enjoyed the experience. Good. I did not intend you to. We don't, when you do it.

That sense of helpless anger you just experienced right before you answered me is called Ownage. It means you just got pummelled like a meat puppet.
And as for what my problem is? It took me a couple of pages in another thread to explain that to you. However I am nothing if not patient with my slower students so I will explain it again to you briefly.
You like being provocative and picking a fight with people by posturing and boasting. I'm giving it to you. You like putting people down, finding elaborate excuses to treat them in a condescending and degrading manner. I'm treating you with the exact same degrading and condescending manner you treat others, except I'm doing it politely because I'm smart enough to be able to do it without calling you names, flaming you or cursing at you.
Perhaps by now it has begun to dawn on you that you are hopelessly outclassed, because you are not able to do the same.

I'm really disappointed in you Yuri, I was hoping your return fire was going to be a little more creative than "Fuck off you little bitch".

And lastly, the forums have been quiet lately, and I felt like working on my comic technique. Your habit of belittling the flight skills of others makes you an inviting target, and since you're so enthusiastic about it, I figured you ought to be able to take the beating. I'm verbally sparring with you to amuse myself and others, and judging by the number of emails I've received from people laughing almost too hard to type, I'm succeeding.
You've made yourself a very popular victim, Yuri, congratulations!
I don't have a problem, I'm having fun here! Aren't you?
Ready to close your mouth now Yuri, or are you going to give us another Yuri Special full of flaming boasting and gibberish? The more you respond with the same manner that got you into this mess, the more infantile you make yourself look and the more fun it is for the rest of us. So please...go right ahead.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I stopped reading the replies when this turned into a mudslinging-tar-and-feathers-bitching-schoolboy-fight, but would like to comment that I really liked the basic idea proposed in this thread a few dozen flame-wars back up.

Any possibilty we could get back into that discussion, and do the braging and taunting for the 'troll of the year' nominations elsewhere?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Actually Yuri by responding as you have, you've selected Option C, an emotional flaming Yuri Special.
Although by finally confronting me directly and asking what my problem is, it means I provoked you into breaking character as well, which is part of Option B so what you've really done is flattered me by imitation with a return combo of your own. A weak combo, but you get points for trying.

You are being trolled, Yuri, by someone better at it than you will ever be. The sense of anger and frustration that caused you to tell me to fuck off, is exactly the same emotion you try to provoke in others with your behavior in these forums. I deliberately provoked it in you, so you would understand how you make others feel with your taunting and mocking behavior. You don't seem to have enjoyed the experience. Good. I did not intend you to. We don't, when you do it.

That sense of helpless anger you just experienced right before you answered me is called Ownage. It means you just got pummelled like a meat puppet.
And as for what my problem is? It took me a couple of pages in another thread to explain that to you. However I am nothing if not patient with my slower students so I will explain it again to you briefly.
You like being provocative and picking a fight with people by posturing and boasting. I'm giving it to you. You like putting people down, finding elaborate excuses to treat them in a condescending and degrading manner. I'm treating you with the exact same degrading and condescending manner you treat others, except I'm doing it politely because I'm smart enough to be able to do it without calling you names, flaming you or cursing at you.
Perhaps by now it has begun to dawn on you that you are hopelessly outclassed, because you are not able to do the same.

I'm really disappointed in you Yuri, I was hoping your return fire was going to be a little more creative than "Fuck off you little bitch".

And lastly, the forums have been quiet lately, and I felt like working on my comic technique. Your habit of belittling the flight skills of others makes you an inviting target, and since you're so enthusiastic about it, I figured you ought to be able to take the beating. I'm verbally sparring with you to amuse myself and others, and judging by the number of emails I've received from people laughing almost too hard to type, I'm succeeding.
You've made yourself a very popular victim, Yuri, congratulations!
I don't have a problem, I'm having fun here! Aren't you?
Ready to close your mouth now Yuri, or are you going to give us another Yuri Special full of flaming boasting and gibberish? The more you respond with the same manner that got you into this mess, the more infantile you make yourself look and the more fun it is for the rest of us. So please...go right ahead.
-B

No, no anger here, only laughing my ass out. ;) You go well with Sapporo, 22oz tall silver can or premium German beer. Nothing is more hilarious than some stranger yelling from the other side of the street: "Hello there, i'm a FUCKING IDIOT!!!" :D

Can't wait for your next "War and peace". :)

A few more pics - these show that L/D Meter can be built to measure any range of L/D. This is the first prototype (or rather mockup) I made that had the range of L/D from 0.0 to 3.6, with 0.2 step (in the 2nd picture, you can see the bubble at ~2.8; if you measure the angle the vane makes to horizon, it corresponds to glide 2.8). It turned out to be impractically big to mount on a long stick on the helmet. The 1.5-2.5 version uses a portion of "Magic L/D Curve"™©® to make the device more compact. For our World L/D Record, I'll build a version with the range 2.0-3.0 with 0.1 step. Besides analog version, a digital L/D Meter, with accelerometer and display, is in the works. This one will show any L/D you can produce. :)

Yuri,Lurch,Butters, et all,

Enough of the Bullshit bickering and one upmanship. If anyone wants to continue with it I suggest you call one another on the phone. If anyone has something ON TOPIC that they wish to talk about, by all means, do so.

"We now return you to your normal programming".
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A few more pics - these show that L/D Meter can be built to measure any range of L/D. This is the first prototype (or rather mockup) I made that had the range of L/D from 0.0 to 3.6, with 0.2 step (in the 2nd picture, you can see the bubble at ~2.8; if you measure the angle the vane makes to horizon, it corresponds to glide 2.8). It turned out to be impractically big to mount on a long stick on the helmet. The 1.5-2.5 version uses a portion of "Magic L/D Curve"™©® to make the device more compact. For our World L/D Record, I'll build a version with the range 2.0-3.0 with 0.1 step. Besides analog version, a digital L/D Meter, with accelerometer and display, is in the works. This one will show any L/D you can produce. :)

If I understand correctly, the jumper has to be in unaccelerated flight for the device to work.

You should do some wind tunnel tests to make sure the AoA reading is not affected by the rest of the hardware around the vane.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.