yuri_base

WS World Record, L/D Edition, Ranch Summer 2010

Yo,

Me and [vacancy available] another pilot are going to fly a world record 2-way WS formation at the Ranch sometime this summer. L/D of the formation will be greater than L/D of all previous [bogus] WS records with 70 or so participants.

Once the 2-way record is set, the 3-way record must beat L/D of the 2-way record, 4-way record must beat L/D of the 3-way record, and so on. There's no Fucking Grid. The only requirement is that you fly in reasonably close proximity (same level and same forward speed, at most 10 body lengths apart) for at least 30s.

Taking into account my L/D is quite average, beating 2-way record won't be hard, but then it'll be harder and harder... and harder. :P

Tools for accurate L/D measurement will be available. :)

How's that for a challenge, you f**ckers? ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Ok, the 3rd thought must be the right one :D - the records must start at L/D = 2.0 (fuck tracking) and each subsequent record must have 1) at least one more pilot, and 2) greater L/D.

"It's that simple."

Race on!!!

Jon, DEAL :)
First REAL Wingsuit World Record holders... The Ranch, NY... Don't all best things in skydiving world start at the Ranch? Aren't all real heroes party at the Ranch, the World Center Of Wingsuit Research, Fun And Development (WCOWRFD)?! ;)

Yuri

Tony, you're down to 3.0? You gained weight since Marl's 3.5 or what? Don't disappoint your best admirer. :D

Yes, camera, but obviously only one. Because, unlike Bogus Grid "records" with their half-dozen of cameramen swirling around like bees (obviously, record body count is not as important as having thousands of still pictures from all kinds of angles in hope that one of them will be "it" - "Oh, we soooooo hope that the bunch of bodies dancing around invisible nodes of Invisible Grid will fit our Mighty Grid which we ourselves designed to fit our formation" :D) in WS World Rerord, L/D Edition, if an extra cameraman CAN fly at the same L/D (obviously, as he's keeping up with the formation), why he wouldn't increase the record count by one?

And remember, no bogus downwind claims, leave that for Marl. :ph34r: Real L/D. Which you can't measure anyway because you don't know how. :P

Best regards,
Yuri

Okay, on the FIFTH thought :D (i'm a slow thinker)...

WS World Record L/D Edition should stimulate both performance advancements and ability to do high performance group flying. Both are significant challenges, but with the initially proposed criteria the latter may hinder the progress of the former. Example: 10 pilots do 2.3, 15 do 2.4, then 20 do 2.5 and L/D kinda gets stuck there as there are 6 who can fly together at 2.6 but that won't be a record, and yet if somebody develops a suit that can do 3.0 but too few people are flying it or it's way too twitchy for 21 people to fly at 3.0 in proximity, then 3.0 will remain in the shadows for a long time, although obviously a huge leap in performance has been achieved.

So I think L/D should take priority over the count to stimulate the wingsuit performance R&D. And so here are the new rules of the WS World Record L/D Edition:

-3. Fuck F10cking!!! :D
-2. Fuck The Grid!!! :D
-1. Fuck Falling in giant air mattresses!!! :D

0. FLYING IS FOREVA!!! :) (Addendum A: Fuck the finns!!! Adendum B: Fuck the Frenchies!!!)

1. L/D and number of pilots (N) are two major qualifying parameters for the new record.
2. L/D higher than that of the previous record sets the new record no matter N.
3. N higher than that of the previous record sets the new record ONLY if L/D is the same or higher.
4. N can be = 1.
5. Equality margin for L/D is 0.05. For example, 2.26 and 2.22 are "the same", while 2.29 is higher than 2.22. You have to improve previous L/D by at least 0.05 if you follow #2.
6. All pilots (except cameraman) should remain in the frame for at least 30 seconds during which L/D is measured. Pilots should maintain reasonable proximity. Nobody should be sinking out of the group or move slower/faster forward. It'll be obvious from the video if they're flying good together or not. Links to videos should be posted in this forum.
7. The means of accurately measuring L/D will be announced later. Stay tuned, don't fall asleep! L/D will be averaged over 30 samples with 1s interval.

That's pretty much it. It's that simple.

Here's an example sequence of records

L/D = 2.0, N = 10
L/D = 2.2, N = 3
L/D = 2.4, N = 5
L/D = 2.5, N = 1
L/D = 2.5, N = 3
L/D = 2.5, N = 8
L/D = 2.5, N = 12
L/D = 2.5, N = 15
L/D = 2.6, N = 2
L/D = 2.9, N = 1
L/D = 3.0, N = 1
L/D = 3.0, N = 5

and so on. As you can see, L/D grows continuously which stimulates R&D, mods, learning, and benefits from experience, physique, talent. Once L/D reaches the temporary limit of technology, more pilots are able to reach this limit and yet able to fly together. Counts grow until someone pushes the limits of L/D to new level. The race continues.

Because this "Father Yuri's Derby" - let me humbly call things their names :) - is informal, there are no strict rules in #6 - it should be obvious from video that pilots flying in relative proximity (for the case when N=1, that'll be VERY obvious :D) and there are no "tricks". If it's not obvious to you, you can go fuck yourself, or whine in the forum, or better yet, go and beat the record. Do as you please. Nobody cares. It's all for fun of true flying.

The benefits of this global L/D competition are incredible.

- small groups of pilots can set new records. There's no need to be f10cking meat thrown from 4 airplanes, dangling like hopeless banana in Invisible Grid hoping that "this time we got it".
- pilots will most often know immediately, in flight, if they "did it" or not. L/D device will show L/D in real time. Not like "we don't know yet but let's make another 20 loads and 100,000 more pictures in hope we can find one that fits The Holy Grid".
- no ugly politics, no self-appointed "leaders" or organizers, no USPA, FAI, whatever. Pure love of flying and competition spirit instead.
- technology and skills win, there's no way to cheat by throwing in five jumpers who made their FJC a day ago and hopefully in one of 10,000 photos will accidentally fit the Grid. Hardcore performance all the way. Running 100m in under 10s vs. driving 70 Honda Civics in a Grid at 5mph in a parking lot.
- WS manufacturers can demonstrate the performance of their new models. L/D progress will restart from the stagnation of the last 3-4 years.
- "ordinary" pilots will try to do various mods to maximize the performance or even build their own record-setting wingsuits!
- we'll all learn from observing different suits, body positions and effects of various mods!

Isn't it awesome? I think it is. And that's my SIXTH thought on this subject. :)
Yuri

+1
Can't believe I'm appreciative of Yuri.

"the king of D/L"

Something tells me you're ready to give up your title to someone else. There are lots of princes out there who are capable of overachieving you and accepting your title. Take The Grid, for example: every node is a Prince of D/L! :)

Here's the L/D Meter prototype I made and successfully tested last Spring. It measures L/D from 1.5 to 2.5 in 0.1 steps. It worked great, the results were consistent with independent measurements from BASE jumps using Wingsuit Equations. (2.1-2.2 in Phantom 1, that's my typical numbers in Phantom.)

In the future version, it'll be a belly mount since having this thing on the head felt kinda weird.

Of course, only one pilot in the group needs to wear the device. Also, it'll need a small camera on that pole pointing at the bubble.

B|*Produces popcorn, begins munching*

Yuri, I'm thinking the real contest here is will you break your record for amount of time spent punching your clown about this in any one thread.

By all means...please, go ahead.
-B

"Up next from Chuck Blue Blasphemy: Drunk Russian Math Talk."
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Oh, and i like it, not because yuri mocks flocking, but because it presents a different point of view.

+1
Can't believe I'm appreciative of Yuri.

"the king of D/L"

+1 I too like this "performance flocking" idea.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Wouldnt this type of device be highly variable due to where it was positioned on the body and the body position while flying the suit? Did you calibrate specifically to one body position, or pick a point that you assumed would never change in angle?

No, it's not variable due to position on the body as long as the vane is in undisturbed air. In my test flights, if the stick was less than 2ft long, the meter will show unrealistic values (like 2.4-2.5, which I know from independent measurements I cannot do in Phantom 1, 2.2 is pretty much the limit for me in this suit). Helmet or belly are pretty much the only places where you can mount this thing, and helmet mount proved to be a bit awkward due to inertial and drag momentum created by the stick when you move your head.

The device is actually not calibrated, it is calculated using my secret magic formulas ;) (including the positions of L/D scale ticks; the magic curve is designed to make them equidistant) and precision laser cut. A digital meter, which is scheduled for summer, will have to be calibrated during installation of accelerometer. For our World L/D Race, digital version would work better.

The device is based on the idea here.

Lurch, What exactly is wrong with you, anyway? I can't figure it out myself, but my first guess would be, A Lot.
I mean really...back when you were a wannabe wingsuit pilot you had such a positive attitude. Now its like I wonder did you have some traumatic flock experience, went to Florida and Chuck Blue pissed in your wheaties one day or something, (an act that, now that I think about it, I wouldn't put past him if you fucked with him). I mean what was it? You got gangraped by a bunch of wingsuiters dressed in pony suits? Play under powerlines too much as a kid? Late night sneaky uncle? One too many servings of paint chips with extra lead?
Reading your stuff is kind of gruesome but entertaining, like watching someone repeatedly stabbing themselves in the forehead with a dull pencil. I know its not going to be fatal or even do all that much damage really, but I can't help thinking "God, thats gotta hurt..."
-Y

Impossible is for people who can't fly.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How does your shit taste when you eat it? :P

(Facepalm)
Aw come on Yuri...a parrot act is the best you can do?
Seriously man, repeating back in an attempt to mock is nursery school stuff.
I'm disappointed.
Come on, man, you do have an original competitive idea here, I know you can do better than that.
Here's a fresh pencil. Try again.
:)-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.