kallend

Different types of distortions

Measuring from the centerpoint offers too much of a mess, even when inverting the photo Y/C, and trying to determine the center point. I have multiple rigs. Other than my Voodoos, bottom of container is very different. None of them match to my navel location.

Were it that we'd be judging formations based on centerpoints in the predeclaration and dirtdives of the jump, there are a few wingsuiters whose navels would probably be appreciated, but the fact of the matter is that we look with our heads/eyes.

It might skew the measurement as much as a foot in extreme circumstances, but we draw our dive plans based around head location, we dirt dive same way, and it seems to be more complex, more variable, and more of a field of landmines to be looking at anything but the head. If we're going to set the rules so tightly for undocked formations that 6" makes such a huge difference, maybe we should be examining the rules.
If you look at the current software's flight zones, then couple that concept with John's method, seemingly it's easy enough to understand the strong potential for a sensible solution that anyone can understand.
Or we could simply ban midgets and extremely tall people.:P

All right, so the guys prefer head. But what would Andreea do?

Apparently you aren't aware that Andreea is a guy with breasts, who can spit, cuss, and prolly kick the crap out of most guys. While she's wearing a dress. Otherwise, you'll just have to be happy with one of the big red dildoes she carries around with her. I think she lent it to one of the NorCal guys... :D

OK, apparently I was not clear enough in my question, so I will ask it again. POINT OF CLARIFICATION

Are we talking about the human reference points in a photo for evaluation of distortion and or verification of slot % of error to allow?

I am not advocating the changing of what we use for sight lines while in the sky.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Apparently you aren't aware that Andreea is a guy with breasts

ok that statement is dangerously misleading.
let me rephrase it, just to make sure... Andreea is a girl... but she thinks like a guy... and acts very much so...

, who can spit, cuss, and prolly kick the crap out of most guys. While she's wearing a dress.

have you ever seen me wear a dress? (exclude pictures from weddings and halloween parties. wingsuit doesn't count either)

Otherwise, you'll just have to be happy with one of the big red dildoes she carries around with her. I think she lent it to one of the NorCal guys... :D

man, I brought two dildos to Elsinore and came back with zero.
I know Medusa's got the big one. I am still waiting for some video of them flying with the rhino-cam... and docking on it...
speaking of ways of docking, maybe if I put a dildo onto a foot mount (the skwrl shoe for smoke would work great) someone can dock on it. just a thought.

and then there was the other dildo. the thinner translucent blue one with spiral ribs on it... Whatever happened to that one?? (you sickos!! you stole my dildo!!) Last time I saw it was when Eli ran through the bigway dirtdive with both of them in his hands (Eli - so proud of you, man!!) but I have no clue what happened to it afterwards.

Finally, to answer Johan's question,

All right, so the guys prefer head. But what would Andreea do?

I like head.

I am not advocating the changing of what we use for sight lines while in the sky.

But you are advocating using one thing for sightlines and a completely different thing for measuring.

Which means that if the formation was dived 100% as planned (heads lined up) it would already be less than perfect by your measuring criteria (unless everyone was the same height). A dive that is 100% as planned should be perfect by whatever criteria you use.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

But you are advocating using one thing for sightlines and a completely different thing for measuring.

Which means that if the formation was dived 100% as planned (heads lined up) it would already be less than perfect by your measuring criteria (unless everyone was the same height). A dive that is 100% as planned should be perfect by whatever criteria you use.

OK, let me try this one more time. A few pages back, we were discussing allowable margin of error for distortion of formations, everyone with me so far?

Kallend propposed a % number, then a few others offered their % number. Sound familiar? Aside from randomly pulling % numbers out of the air as allowable distortion error how about determining it in a different manner to see if it is a bit more precise? That is what I am talking about here. Using an ideal photo and then a photo showing distortion (front to rear or side to side, etc) determine what that deviation is from near perfect to boarder line unacceptable using the center of the jumpers instead of the head and see what we get. THEN, we can compare the two (head measurement and center measurement method) results to see if there needs to be more or less % allowance for deviation or if one is preferable over the other.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

[ Using an ideal photo and then a photo showing distortion (front to rear or side to side, etc) determine what that deviation is from near perfect to boarder line unacceptable using the center of the jumpers instead of the head and see what we get. THEN, we can compare the two (head measurement and center measurement method) results to see if there needs to be more or less % allowance for deviation or if one is preferable over the other.

Using the differential between navel and nose might be valuable to determine differentials and deviation percentages, but IMO, using anything but the head as a pin-point to measure positioning is just asking for trouble.