mccordia

Docked formations: How far can we take this one....

I totally agree Scott. The best way for me to ruin the fun of flying a WS for me is to bring the bad vibes from RW into it.

I often hear this one mentioned, though am curious to which bad vibes people are talking about.
I see a lot of good stuff enforced in RW, which (to me) seems more about skills, safety and progression than it is about being an asshole..

The stuff I'm talking about is when RWers get down from the jump they discuss who and what went wrong ad nauseam.

It's called a "debrief". Cheaper than repeating the same errors on the next jump.

I'm not saying all do that of course, but it has happened enough to me that it ruins the jump for me, that is for sure.

Maybe there's a message there for you;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The stuff I'm talking about is when RWers get down from the jump they discuss who and what went wrong ad nauseam.

Its the reason some skydivers (in general) dont progress as quickly as they could, because they only want to talk about smiles, wow and jay.
You can do that, while at the same time discussing who could IMPROVE this and that part of his flying.

But its quite difficult when people loose the objective aspect in debriefing, and turn it into personal comments. And for those people, its often mentioned as a black/white thing. You either smile and have fun, or you're an asshole and say what went wrong.

Its not always the person giving the debrief, who is the cause of a bruised ego.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You can do that, while at the same time discussing who could IMPROVE this and that part of his flying.

And in this context is where the value in *any* debriefing system, be it a bunch of lines on a screen, software that shows lines, or drawing lines through a piece of paper, scanning it, and putting up on a screen is invaluable; it allows each person to see their position in any given moment in time, and make adjustments to their perception of the sight picture, approach, etc.

Piisfish, I can understand why it would appear that it's "Birdman" against the world but in truth, it's not. It's just that Birdman happened to be willing to give their mailing list to the "pro-grid" folks. But not all Birdman flyers are in support of the grid. fact. Many are not. One person from that list sent this email out to the USPA and copied me on it. Pity he's not a member of the USPA. Even more unfortunate is an email that went out to hundreds of non-wingsuiters asking them to submit their opinion on the grid. I would never deign to tell CRW, FF, FS, or Freestyle people how their discipline should be judged, because I know nothing about those disciplines.

It's almost funny how the "grid people" are making emotional appeals about an unemotional subject.
Screaming about gag orders, unfair, vocal minority, and dissenters rather than talking about the issues just shows why others don't like/want the grid.

The grid is subjective, not objective. Judging and measurement should always be objective. A meter is a meter, and that's that. But not with the grid. A meter might be 1.2 meters or .8 meters, depending on who is doing the measuring.

The grid people refuse to talk about the merits of the grid. They only appeal to the emotions of others.

The non-grid people simply say that;
A judging system for wingsuits is premature. (I believe they're correct)
The grid is fundamentally flawed in that it doesn't allow for most types of wingsuit skydiving to be judged. (It's obvious they're correct)
The grid system allows for low-quality formations to become "records." (this is subjective and to be ignored, although their Illinois record had one guy with 8 wingsuit jumps as a participant)
The grid system has never been presented to, nor allowed to be commented on, by the very people it judges. (This seems apparent, based on the many posts on DZ.com)

My father told me that when one cannot debate facts, a weak argument will center on character or personality. This is why I've changed my opinion of the grid system. A week ago, I wouldn't have commented on the grid system. But the grid supporters are sending these wild accusations about the non-grid people that any sensible mind knows are not true and cannot be true, not if you have any concept of how the IPC functions.

Use your head people. Find out the truth. Figure things out for yourself.

While I'm sure I have made my mistakes in the air, I was referring to listening to guys I was videoing gripe and blame each other.

Being an asshole has nothing to with the dicipline you practice hehehe:P
You get that 'you're backsliding' 'you're not fast enough' 'you're floating' in any dicipline, if you pick the 'right' people to jump with:S
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The only thing I see with docked wingsuit flying is that it would seem to really favor smaller wing wingsuits. You're going to have outside input(other people docking on you) on your surface areas, the the smaller the area the less likely you'll end up going out of control.

Thanks, Scott. Copy/Paste on a blackberry doesn't always work well.

If you want, I can copy and paste it for you in the other thread. Just let me know what you want to do.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The only thing I see with docked wingsuit flying is that it would seem to really favor smaller wing wingsuits. You're going to have outside input(other people docking on you) on your surface areas, the the smaller the area the less likely you'll end up going out of control.

Make the wings small enough and you can fly like THIS.B|

I think thats an added difficulty, earlier noted by Pendragon (Richard):

We need a good description on WHAT makes a wingsuit, formation wise.
Is it the fallrate? A minimum glide?
We noticed in the first edition of the wingsuit competition, the trend was to go more and more towards freefall, to get quicker docks (something fixed by adding performance/style points in last years edition).
The last (backflying) rounds ended with most teams doing a wingsuit version of sitflying. Which is not what you'd want here.

I think for the 'un-official' challenge Justin also suggested (for which Phoenix-Fly gladly offers all 6 or more participants a 25% discount on any suit, besides the V3), a nice rule would be:

Participants in a docked formation should clearly show the added vallue (performance wise) of a wingsuit, (in video) showing actual flying.
Much like the Atmo video posted in the first thread.
The difficult thing is, where do you draw the line. Is 50 mph fallrates wingsuit flight? 80 mph? 120 mph? The atmo stuff often cruises allong at 90 to 100 mph.

Ideas? Suggestions? (important, as this definition would also be valid for bigways etc)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ideas? Suggestions? (important, as this definition would also be valid for bigways etc)

What if we just let the peers be the judge. We could do a poll, etc. In snowboarding competiton, they have a style category. No grids etc. If we submit a photo, and there is a tie/ question. we put it to a vote by peers?

Justin
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

There should be no reason we can't have a large docked formations with wingsuits. Everyone who does not agree just look at the first people who ever did anything that was impossible. (Humble opinion...we have not yet scratched the limit of docked formations.)
There is, however, a problem defining what is a wingsuit flight...If I put a couple of flaps on everyones RW suit and do a big way with a bit of a track, is that a wingsuit formation? I think not.
I personally have a feeling that right now it is more "We know it when we see it" rather than measurable metrics. And I don't like that kind of thinking. It breeds sects and lack of unity.
Maybe we should look at these problems from an angle of intent. Number one: You need to plan a skydive and execute it, safely.
Number two: There are three types of flights 1)Wingsuit 2)Tracking 3)Hybrid...Just like RW and freefly
Number Three: "Records are, by definition, feats that are breakable, measurable and comparable." (Source:www.guinnessworldrecords.com)
So we can set glide paths as a measure of tracking/WS/hybrids. People can gripe about what the numbers should be....blah blah blah... and at the end we will have numbers and people will start to break records with these numbers. Intent is the main thread in this thought...you set out to do something and achieve it and later people can argue about it being a record or not.

Another thing we need to consider is the freefall time records for docked formations. Wingsuit flyers can start setting records for "Longest time in docked formation" and keep them. If you can do an 8-way docked formation and keep it for a wingsuit jump, you can keep that record for a long long time.

One last thought...I think it would be really cool to put grippers on bottom of wingsuits and let a freeflyer hang on for the ride...drag a person behind you? cool!
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

There is, however, a problem defining what is a wingsuit flight...If I put a couple of flaps on everyones RW suit and do a big way with a bit of a track, is that a wingsuit formation?

Maybe this could be solved by the period in which points can be flown. In RW and freefly there is a time limit. If we set an altitude limit instead there will be messy flying formations in the beginning but on the long run I would expect that people will push their working time together with their progression.
So in the long run people will try to progress in a way that they become able to fly a lot of points with as few altitude loss as possible to have more altitude to fly more points. Sure, in the beginning we will see straight dropping formations but these will disappear as soon as someone flies the same amount of points with less altitude loss and beat the dropping bricks in competitions.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

One last thought...I think it would be really cool to put grippers on bottom of wingsuits and let a freeflyer hang on for the ride...drag a person behind you? cool!

No need for grippers. I have had several girls dismount from a rodeo by sliding down my legs and holding onto my ankles. After this pitches me head high, I have been able to turn 360 degrees while in this position. It's another fun thing to do with a girl riding me B|

Purple Mike

Mike, how did I know you were going to pop in with something like that?

You know, A friend reminded me Soby once successfully docked on my ankle while both of us were close to maxed out. Soon as I remembered it I was thinking "Duh, I'm a dumbass, we HAVE already done this successfully"... I just kept flying along completely undisturbed... I thought about it for a bit, compared it to the stuff I posted earlier about trying to execute docked legwork in flocking conditions and figured thats probably the way to do it. Gonna try it when the season opens up... scrounge up 2 or 3 more guys, get em all maxed out and see if it works any better than the bumpy ride I got trying to dock on Rick when his tail was less than flat. So long as all 4 have similar ranges it ought to work. If we can do 4, we can do more. We gotta get Dave Godin for this... he's GOOD... earlier last season we were pursuing Rick and managed a coordinated zero-tension dock the whole time. He reads the next necessary move so well that when turns or adjustments were necessary I didn't have to do a damn thing, just wait a split second and he'd know when to pull ahead or fall back to keep us on heading and on a good approach. Get enough like him and I bet a 10-way dock is doable.

Anybody wanna do a 6-way docked diamond wedge this spring?
(and no, Mike, I don't wanna try it with you flying point with a girl on your back... as much as I enjoy the show, the fallrate'd be even harder to deal with than trying to grapple Rick's knee. I'm a floaty enough bastard as it is.)
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

How about a different type of dock, e.g. trail a short piece of rope from each leg. This would give somewhere to dock on where you could make small adjustments/movements without disturbing the formation?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Post decompression.. whats that?
Shit, if I get what you mean right, I could do it it one sentence:
I think a docked diamond can be done, but last time we tried it it was complicated and bumpy as hell at high fallrate although it sorta worked accidentally when done maxed out so maybe we ought to try it that way.

I could cut that down further but the compression loss artifacts would remove so much detail the statement would make no fucking sense at ALL.

Could play Mad Libs with it though. Or make another Time Cube website if you accumulated enough of it.
Its kind of like trying to read depressing Russian literature, or compressing your DVD of Lord Of The Rings down onto a 1.44 floppy and then writing the result back onto a DVD. Something is lost in the translation. You don't really get to appreciate it quite the same. Its an art form thing. Or maybe its just me.
-B

Gonna miss Fnd this year man.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

How about a different type of dock, e.g. trail a short piece of rope from each leg. This would give somewhere to dock on where you could make small adjustments/movements without disturbing the formation?

Speaking only for myself, the fewer pieces of extraneous stuff I have to trail around on a skydive, the less chance there is of an entanglement and the safer I think it is. I do not find the prospect of tying ropes to my feet to be very appealing.

Disregarding snag concerns, the further you are away from someone when you dock on them (or an extension of them), the more you will disturb them. It's simple leverage. If you can't dock on somebody's ankle without messing up their control, it will be even worse when you dock on a several inch long extender coming off their ankle.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Disregarding snag concerns, the further you are away from someone when you dock on them (or an extension of them), the more you will disturb them. It's simple leverage. If you can't dock on somebody's ankle without messing up their control, it will be even worse when you dock on a several inch long extender coming off their ankle.

Think of it this way. It's the same as a surf board leash with a velcro ankle collar followed by a short piece of cord(2-4") that is attached to what a RW gripper looks like albeit shorter.

It would show an actual grip had been taken between jumpers and there would be enough play in it that you wouldn't leverage people around the sky as you describe. It will have the same issues that RWers have in that there can be tension on the grips or within the formation. Likewise, someone not letting go of a grip when they should could pull others or the formation low.

For the hands, there used to be this event we did years back, some of you may remember it, it was called a baton pass. Using the same concept I described above with the leash gripper, one could be carried on the left hand of people in the formation to establish hand grips.

Of course the velcro wouldn't be as strong as what is found on a surfboard leash and the device would be capable of breaking away from the jumper if too much force was applied to it.

More food for regurgitation.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING