notsane

Flock and Dock 6.0

A super interesting meeting. A day full of extremes. I am so lucky to be here. What great people. We are alive.

That about sums it up...
Thank you to everyone who attended the meeting, thank you particularly to those who spoke up, thank you to those that contributed, and tremendous thanks to those that brought out questions never before heard.
Hopefully a few kernels of value can be extrapolated from the morass of divergent directions.
I started the meeting calling it a verbal vomit session, and that's much of what it turned out to be.
Thanks for the in-room and ex-cathedral comments regarding the idea of a wingsuit association for the US groups.

At some near point, Andreea's copious minutes will be translated/boiled down to a summary and it will be posted once Flock n' Dock has settled out.
In short (as expected) no conclusions were asked for nor reached. It was a verbal vomit from the community that was at Flock n' Dock, and in that light, it was a very good, very civil discussion of various aspects of things as they currently are in the wingsuit community.
The meeting included a very wide variety of people from a very broad cross section of DZ's across America. All but 3 people attending are members of the USPA.
If nothing else, it is the genesis of dialog within the wingsuiting community about what we want as a community, even if no action items nor specific, measurable, achieveable, realistic goals were proposed nor set out. But we talked. And a lot of good things were said. A lot of BS was put out there too. But...we did identify some areas in which we'd like to take control, be judged, have input as a community,
Kallend, Andreea and Zach made specific mention of your methodology and drew related info on the board to demonstrate.
Huge thanks to Monkey, Scott Bland, Andreea, Scotty, Zach, Jarno for helping to pull off a last minute change of address and plan, for helping with beer and pizza, and helping to keep the meeting civil and as relevant as possible.
Thank you to the 30+ people that attended, many of whom contributed, asked some very salient questions, had some wonderful points of debate on all sides, and offered valuable input.
No thanks to Dominos for having their number on a hotel room card but not even knowing where the hotel they're delivering to is located.

At some near point, Andreea's copious minutes will be translated/boiled down to a summary and it will be posted once Flock n' Dock has settled out.

clicky - here are my notes from the meeting. Enjoy. There will soon be video to complement these. The only thing missing is the part where I spoke (obviously...)

Any 6 way line docked during the event ? ;)

Not sure ... the focus was on completing a diamond.

I don't think we ever attempted the 6 way line... there was a lot of focus on the foot docks and trying to find that stable 4-way (or whatever) configuration that you could then build upon for bigger formations...

clicky - here are my notes from the meeting. Enjoy. There will soon be video to complement these. The only thing missing is the part where I spoke (obviously...)

Thanks for taking the minutes and for posting that Andrea.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Supergirl can't multi-task? :o

Thanks for the information, Andreea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Also a big thanks for Andreea on that one.
And spot and zach for putting in all the effort to make this community meeting possible. Its important to hear all the voices on these subjects, instead of just a few loud ones..

Now that Im posting here anyways, I would also like to extend my thanks to a lot of people.
Arriving on the dropzone, it felt like a big family. Everyone made me feel welcome, and we had such a great time flying with everyone.

The work done by Mike and Andreea on docks is truly amazing. Flying stable (and flying!) ankle docks for almost full jumps.
Several jumps got up to (temp) stairsteps and other 3 to 4 people figures. But everyone seemed more determined on learning new skills and trying things, than just going for a 'simple' line record. Which was just amazing to watch.

I could do a long, long write-up on everything that happened, but think some indivual mentions and thank you'z probably do a much better job.

Pat, awesome and consistent flyer. Always there, and always smiling.
That ankledock you made on a backflying andreea was awesome (and my attempt at turning it into a stairstep, less impressive;). Lots more to come with that docked playing for sure. And watching you do martial arts stuff in between jumps, and during down-time (wind) I think many a jumper quite enjoyed watching you sway and sling those nunchucks around.
Tony (aka Butters), the need for speed! I loved the faster jumps we did chasing Tom. And I think few people match the smoothness with which you fly docked. I have some pretty sweet shots of you backflying into nothingness (thanks to me and matt doing an awesome job at minding the navigation). Hope to do more 'speedy' flocks when we meet next time. And give Tom a shout. Im sure he wont mind meeting up with you guys to play more (he seems keen on also getting a mighty orange wingsuit of his own and flying it like a bat out of hell)
Gleison (aka 'Dave') sorry for consistently forgetting your name! And great seeing your flying get more and more precise over the week, and your backflying improve from fighting to flying over the course of just 2 jumps. Congrats! And hope to see you backfly more!
You rocked in that Shadow/Phantom!
Scott Bland, just no words. In the Zflock family, you truly are the father that takes care of the family. Always there for everyone, be it as a base, wingman, friend or leader. Hope to see you again soon!
DSE, nothing but praise. Always calm, always there to help. An awesome coach, wise beyond words in many fields, cameraflyer and a great sense of humor.
Alex, a big flyer, both in height and skill. Always a pleasure to have you on a dive! Always there where you should be! Chasing you around on that big-ass Z formation was great fun. Getting my fingers jammed underneath/in between the caravan door..less fun. Hopefully fly with you again soon on this side of the canal..
Brian. It was a pleasure seeing you effortlesly fly around flocks on belly and back. And really cool we managed to sneak that last load in on sunday, just before the weather turned to shit(ier).
Mike. Greatest base flyer around (belly and back), puffy-chasser, rodeo fanatic. People talk a lot of trash about you, but you're the one always out there and flying, and seeing you pushing this docked flying so much. Its awesome! Keep up the good work!
Andreea, always in the background when it comes to taking credit, but in skill, speed and docking: outflying many 'greater' flyers.
Not sure that Boobiebdock you and Mike pulled off counts for the challange though. But aplausse to Tom and DSE for driving skills!
Paul, always eager to fly, eager to learn, friendly and a pleasure to talk to. I had a blast flying with you last year, and had the same pleasure doing so this year! Its a joy seeing everyones skill rise with every time we meet again. And its enthouisastic people like yourself that make this stuff so worthwhile!
Ralph! Killer video and photo stuff. Way cool video work! And always there flying!
It was always fun doing that last bit of playing in/during breakoff. Swooping and rolling past eachother! Im sure going to have fun editing that video stuff you shot!
Tom. Incredible flying. You truly are one of THE best FFC students Ive ever had. If you manage to lead flocks on your 3rd jump in a phantom, who have to fly legs stretched in V3s and similar suits. You're not doing that bad;) Slotflying in formations only a few jumps later, you proved it wasnt just a fluke! Cant wait to see you fly your own wingsuit, and show us all more about the awesome forward speeds you're capable off (at good glide ratios as well).
Stefan. Congrats on your FFC! Welcome to the flock! You are a big man in every sense of the word. Your speed-spoon on your helmet just rocks. I want one!
Zach, it was good to see you again. Sadly not the cool 'airtaxi' pickup Scotty took me on last year, when you arrived at Tampa. But I had a good time seeing you, and nothing but applause for the effort you put into the open forum meeting, and the plaque made in memory of Robert by the Zhills crew.
Scotty. You da man. There all week, supporting everyone on the ground. Contemplating to jump, but deciding wisely and not jumping. Everyone who has been there knows how hard it is. And also a big thank you for all the press stuff related to the sad passing of Pete. It was truly amazing seeing everyone shun pesky reporters on the subject, and refering to you for the clean and sober version of what really happened. I think its thanks to you most reports turned out informative, and not to sensationalized. And I know how hard that stuff was on you. Thank you so much for all the stuff you did during the week. Driving people around, putting up computers, screens, taking photos, entertaining people, drinking together! Hope to see you on this side of the river sometime this year as well! Ill show you around town and we'll party European stylee (thats not refering to hairy armpits, clogs or ponies in any way)
Kathy. Also a huge thanx. The work you put in over the week behind the screens was fantastic. And everyone knows it hasnt been an easy year.
It was heartwarming to see you stand there the last evening, surrounded by the big family Robert and you created! Hoping we get to repeat this one many, many years in a row.

Im sure Im forgetting tons of people, but I could continue typing for an hour if I had to sum up the awesome experience that was Zflock 6.

Thank you all so much!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The work done by Mike and Andreea on docks is truly amazing. Flying stable (and flying!) ankle docks for almost full jumps.

don't forget Paul and Elana, who were also getting similar great results, together with Scott, Justin, and whoever else was on that group (complemented by some really nice pictures from Skwrl!!)

as for "almost" full jumps... Mike timed one of the jumps on Thu or Fri I think and we got 46 or 47 (can't remember) seconds worth of continuous foot dock. we got the foot dock right on the slide and only released because my dytter went off. Elana might have held an even longer one from what I've heard. Key point is that it's proof solid foot docks can be flown stable for a long time. We need to keep practicing and refine our technique. I sure know I'm doing some weird shit with my wings when I fly docked on that foot, and have discovered various little "tricks" in the process.
Big shout to Mike for his backflying skills. Not only does he fly extremely smooth on his back, but he's also got great stamina! I know of very few people who can stay on their back jump after jump after jump after jump like that and not lose any of the flying quality by the end of the day.
Mike also rocked at communicating with the rest of the group throughout the jump. As you'll see from some of my footage, he was constantly anticipating what his little movements might do to the formation and shouting things like "arch, arch, arch" before the rest of us even noticed the change in fallrate, which really helped keep the dock together. Take note, everyone! :D

I could do a long, long write-up on everything that happened

shhhh, duuude, what happens at zhills stays at zhills!! ;););)

Not sure that Boobiebdock you and Mike pulled off counts for the challange though. But aplausse to Tom and DSE for driving skills!

ah... there goes the whole what happens at zhills stays at zhills part...
note to mike: gentle with the boobies, man! they're not the same as RW grippers, sheesh :D
:P

I guess I speak on everyone's behalf when I also extend a big thanks to you, Jarno, for all the hard work organizing, flying with and entertaining us all. I loved it when you grabbed my foot mid front to back transition and unzipped half my bootie, then didn't notice and tried to grab it again... also the double poop we held on that last jump was totally sweet

big hug to all the organizers! Scott, Jarno, Monkey, Spot, Justin, Mike, whoever else was (officially or unofficially) getting groups flying together and sharing invaluable knowledge... I love you all! Same goes for Scotty and Kathy and all their ground efforts in making this such a successful event! It was one helluva fun boogie, I already can't wait for the next one!

Also, anyone wearing camera who wanted to contribute to the boogie video and didn't already give me or Jarno their footage, send us a PM (or email, facebook message, whatever) and we'll tell you where you can upload your stuff so Jarno can edit a super cool event video like he did last year.

A group of nekkid people in the Jacuzzi welcoming Kathy home from picking up JoJo at the airport..also never happened...B|;)
Popcorn-fight with Jsho and lady in the cinema...never happened!:S:)
And Stephan! Thanks for the Donuts!
SPOT! All the stuff you arranged for the meet! Incredible!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

A group of nekkid people in the Jacuzzi welcoming Kathy home from picking up JoJo at the airport..also never happened...B|;)

hey, if there's no video/pics, it didn't happen! (though wish there'd been a camera to capture the look on Kathy's face when you guys stood up to greet her)

Now speaking of pictures, our awesome photographers have shared some of their stuff online, and for those of you who haven't already seen the numerous photo albums on Facebook, here are some non-facebook links:

Scotty Burns / Sky Squared Productions photos: smugmug gallery clicky

Jeff Donohue / Drunkn Skwrl Productions: smugmug gallery clicky

Enjoy!
And a big hug to all our photographers!

Many, many thanks to everyone. To the organizers (Jarno, Sean, Spot ...), the photographers (Spot, Jeff, Stu ...), Kathy and Scotty and everyone who attended ... thanks for your amazing contributions. Everyone was ready and willing to do whatever it took to make this the best event ever.

"Learn new stuff" was the theme and boy did we make that happen! Whatever level we were at, everyone was trying something new, and sometimes succeeding! :)
So, take that mindset home with you ... push your limits and try things you haven't tried before. We can't even guess where wingsuiting will take us.

As for the near term, watch for an announcement from us for the next event. You're going to need some new skills ...

For those of you who don't already know, we lost another of our wingsuiters from Flock and Dock 6, Keri Lou Kirch. I met Keri and her boyfriend, Kevin in Puerto Rico in February. She was so excited about wingsuiting. Both of them were there at F&D6.

Everyone, be careful out there.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3831280;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

So, take that mindset home with you ... push your limits and try things you haven't tried before. We can't even guess where wingsuiting will take us.

As for the near term, watch for an announcement from us for the next event. You're going to need some new skills ...

hmzz.... ordering wingsuit right away.. can't wait for more. Jarno, why isn't it done yet? I emailed you the form like 6 hours ago...