DSE

Elsinore formation

That looks really nice !! Just "being in" that formation is worth the trip and time ....... No one is way back or way off... You guys and gals can do better ,..but I bet this "morning" photo put a smile on Everyone's face ... there, and "out here"....

Well done everyone !
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

That looks really nice !! Just "being in" that formation is worth the trip and time ....... No one is way back or way off... You guys and gals can do better ,..but I bet this "morning" photo put a smile on Everyone's face ... there, and "out here"....

Well done everyone !

I'm close to the back and it's an awesome sight diving down to it.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just for sake of clarification, I'm not "in" the formation.
There was a misunderstanding about registration. Based on the letter I received about the event, I was under the impression I could register til Saturday (see attached).
As Taya, Jeff, and one other organizer put it, it was a "misfortunate use of the word" and registration had actually ended two days previously. In this case, "registration meant "check in."
Therefore, I have not allowed to be part of the formations.

I hear ya! I was diving in back there on two loads last year and I know what you mean ---- I wouldn't trade "those two "memories" of what I saw for all the photos in the world....( no offense there Scotty and Matt) --- Matt gets to see that on every jump

Spot,...maybe ask later if you can just go out last from one of the planes and get to watch the whole thing build from higher and in the middle --- They let me do that on the very last 73 way jump last year after the 71 way record, as the formation flew toward the mountains and sunset ---( it's worth doing! )

Just for sake of clarification, I'm not "in" the formation.
There was a misunderstanding about registration. Based on the letter I received about the event, I was under the impression I could register til Saturday (see attached).
As Taya, Jeff, and one other organizer put it, it was a "misfortunate use of the word" and registration had actually ended two days previously. In this case, "registration meant "check in."
Therefore, I have not allowed to be part of the formations.

WTF?! That's messed up! Surely as they're 30 odd people short of what they were meant to have, they'd accept every decent wingsuiter like yourself at any time?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

WTF?! That's messed up! Surely as they're 30 odd people short of what they were meant to have, they'd accept every decent wingsuiter like yourself at any time?

Its mostly weird to see see someone with un-proven wingsuit skills at 11 wingsuit flights get a slot, over someone with proven skills who worked his ass of to be there. Surely DSE wasnt the only flyer to show up without pre-registering...?

Shame, as in the days leading up to the event, DSE has been the biggest promoter and active poster on the event. Blogging, writing here etc.

Phil and Tony showed up in Italy at the WingsuitCompetition without any pre-registration. Nobody even gave it a 2nd thought, and it was 'sweet...come and fly!'.
Would have been nice to give DSE that same leeway..especially since EVERYONE knew and expected him to fly..

Sorry if Im beating a dead-horse here...but it just seems rude to exclude a close friend from something like this, with some lame paperwork 'mistake' as a reason.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yeah, I would've thought the same thing. Registration up til 6pm on Sat.

There was a FAQ that clarified the process. The FAQ made it pretty clear that advance approval and payment was required.

Yeah, I would've thought the same thing. Registration up til 6pm on Sat.

There was a FAQ that clarified the process. The FAQ made it pretty clear that advance approval and payment was required.

So you think it would have been out of bounds to honor the document which stated Nov 7th was registration deadline? Oh wait, that would indicate the orgazining committe had the fortitude required to admit their errors and make good on their word. Obviously they do not.

Jeeze... this guy had his pelvis split into two separate pieces a few months ago. I think he had his hands full without the burden of searching for a FAQ that may have been posted somewhere, which may explain he needed to ignore the Nov 7th date. (You got a link to that FAQ?)

It would take all of "Yeah we screwed up... we'll allow you to use the date we printed... and welcome aboard!"

Plus, it would have made it a 69 way, and we all enjoy a good 69... ;)

True, very true.

I'm sure that when the critics make the effort to put on a big-way event everything will be perfect.

from what i have heard in relation to the experience/safety/ flying ability was not on the top of the list on weather or not you got to be in the formation... it was more complicated than that.. :o

I have flown with DSE as have many of us and I know he has the qualifications as far as flying goes... maybe these are the reasons that the "100" way never materialized.

HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

True, very true.

I'm sure that when the critics make the effort to put on a big-way event everything will be perfect.

Umm....where has the effort been criticized? I support and will support Scott Callantine, Justin Shorb, Ed Pawlowski, Phil Peggs in any and everything they do. Anything they've undertaken in the past, I've been amongst the first to register, first to be there with video equipment, support, and helping vs hindering in any way possible. This would include paying for hotel rooms for others, airfares for organizers, food for the group, etc. I admire the hell out of most of these guys.
I'm really, really impressed with this event's outcome. Were it not for Ed's expertise on large formations, Callantine's excellent capabilities at communicating, Shorb's ability to keep things on an even keel, then this event wouldn't have come off like it did. One of the organizers pointed out that communications were actually worse this year with the group, and I'd concur with that, but the communication once here, was pretty damn solid. Eli Bolotin was a huge asset to the formation and we didn't have an "Eli" last year.
My friends did an incredible job, and when I say "my friends," I'm also referring to most of the organizers.

I'm really proud of my friends that were in this formation. I'm very happy for them to have their names on a USPA record. They've earned it.

from what i have heard in relation to the experience/safety/ flying ability was
5a8
not on the top of the list on weather or not you got to be in the formation... it was more complicated than that.. :o

DSE was excluded because it's become well known that he's DEA. Apparently the feds got wind of a highly skilled group of wingsuit base jumpers flying drugs in across the border. They sent in a burnt out field agent to infiltrate the wingsuiting community.

He did some training in a wind tunnel which is why he has the flying skills he has(see attached photo), but this meant his landing skills weren't quite up to speed. Hence the recent injury.

The world record was just a cover(something DSE suspected all along) so we'd have the planes and man power to fly in a quantity of smack the country hasn't seen since the Village People hit the disco scene.

Don't sweat it though, he's fallen in love with the rogue culture of the sport, the freedom, the people, and before next year's attempt he'll have cut away from his old life and be able to join in.

True, very true.

Umm....where has the effort been criticized?t.

No-one said the effort was criticized. Re-read what I wrote.

If someone has a personal issue with one or more of the organizers, maybe they should just stay away and organize their own event.

Spot ,....I was about to ask you "what record"?,... but then I went to Taya's thread blog and saw the following posted there (on Thursday? November 12th? )? ...mentioning that record would be shown on The Today Show the 'next morning ( Thursday morning )" Today is Friday in the USA so I missed it....
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :
2009 November 12
by admin
.Two judges today evaluated a photograph and video footage of our wingsuit formation record attempts and declared a new valid US National Wingsuit Record! Footage from the jumps will be shown on the Today show tomorrow (Thursday) morning, as well as local news channels. More coming soon, including photos, but it’s been a long day and we all need to get some rest.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have no idea of at what time (admin ??) Taya? /Jeff?/ whoever? posted this info,.. but I'm just seeing it on Friday November 13 ( I think) . I didn't see anything on DZ.com's wingsuit forum at all so far... ( it's probably being posted while I two-finger type this)

From one of the postings on Steve,... I was under the impression that there 'was' a formation record set ( judged by the USPA grid the organizers used) on Wenesday, November 11, sometime ( ??? ) and that Steve was jumping after that on a fun jump...

So,... now that the big news channels and media and judges have certified it,...can we see the picture please? ( or do we have to wait until Parachutist and other media get it to show us??) We don't need to see the grid placement,..just the beautiful photo---(we all understand by now what the grid is and isn't)

Congratulations to everyone who was a part of the record formation!!!! ,...and now since you have done the record and still have most of the event days left,..are you going to try to break that record ... Admin??? (Spot,..maybe you can get in on those formations)

And Spot,..we've heard you.....and "some" of the other flyer's reading your post probably even understand conceptually or in detail just what you are saying 'with your underlines' ,...( and what you aren't) ( I certainly don'tfor sure) ,... but after listening to DZ overheard comments during this past year ,..and some recent PM's,...I have my own thoughts.

I'm sure other's like me have wondered what the hell "the politics of all this" we keep hearing about actually "is" and why? Frankly,..I was very confused ( and maybe naive) about what took place last year while I was "at" the event,.. and then in the month after the event while we all awaited a picture and the actual judging grid criteria... , ( I had my guesses that I kept between myself and a few friends,..but I only recently tried to help others refine the judging criteria to require more exact flying, be less open to manipulation of "best fit" and perhaps inspire more participation. Before the event I was asked to be patient because some good stuff would be coming out in the days before or during the record... I havn't seen any of that so far, but anyway,..it's a shame that any such things,..be it personal politics, pride of authorship, disagreements on what is and isn't manipulation, control/money/regognition????factors or such have to be part of "any" group team effort ,..but it is actually just the reality of human group dynamics.

It is "REALLY" a special shame that you didn't get to participate considering "all" the technical assistance, loyalty and the effort you made for over a year into and on behalf of what was being done... ( but, now that this year's event is over ( if it is over? ) perhaps the tensions can be openly aired and maybe also solicited from all the jumpers who are known to be skilled qulaified flyers,..but didn't show up this year,..and done so in that way that future events will benefit.... It's still early in the evolution process...

True, very true.

Umm....where has the effort been criticized?t.

No-one said the effort was criticized. Re-read what I wrote.

If someone has a personal issue with one or more of the organizers, maybe they should just stay away and organize their own event.

Can you say that with a straight face? I can't think of a single effort in any sport, business, or other activity where personal issues weren't at least somewhat present.
I disagree with the grid. I disagree with the negligence that contributed to the Sebastian fatality. So does most of this community.
But I put any personal issues aside, and I was here. I am here. I support wingsuiting. Period.
I don't like you at all. I find you to be exactly what the gang in Chicago described. But I wanted to fly with you anyway. In other words, I put aside my personal issues.
We all have personal issues. Just that some of us are mature and capable of putting them aside for the betterment of the community, the sport, and achieving something great.
Believe it or not, that's what "adults" do.