Taz

Wingsuit Bigway and City Year

I had one of the most amazing experiences in my skydiving and wingsuiting life yesterday. Some Raise the Sky and Wingsuit Bigway people - me, Phil Peggs, Simon Repton, Eli Bolotin, and Jeff Nebelkopf - went to see a City Year Los Angeles elementary school as part of our awareness raising around the dropout problem in the US.

We went to film City Year volunteers tutoring kids, interview people in the program, etc. but ended up talking a lot about wingsuits, why we do what we do, what it feels like to fly, and how we overcome fear to behave like flying squirrels. Kids ask the best questions, and have the biggest dreams.

I realized that I had never even imagined what it would feel like to hear a 9 year old say, "I want to fly a wingsuit when I grow up!" It changed my whole perspective, getting to see it all from the point of view of a kid from South LA who lives 2 miles from the beach but has never seen the ocean.

We are so lucky.

Gotta get some sleep before jumping tomorrow... I think I can manage five hours or so!

-T
PS There are some photos on our blog.
It's the Year of the Dragon.

I want to thank everyone for one of the most amazing weeks of my life. There have been some incredibly hard moments, to be sure. There have also been wonderful highs. Through it all, I have been able to witness the strength of the family that is the wingsuit community. I am honored to be in your midst.

I'd like to share a link with some amazing footage from yesterday. After all the difficult, stressful moments, this unique view managed to stop me in my tracks.

When life is hard, it's sometimes easy to lose perspective, become negative, and run out of energy. I choose to face this by honoring the hard times, while focusing on the good ones. I recharge my lagging energy with the aid of beautiful moments... and share one here:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Record-Wingsuit-Skydivers-Lake-Elsinore-69795677.html

You all are amazing. Thank you for the experience.

-eli

Congratulations to a great team for coming together and setting a record - and raising both money and awareness for a good cause.

The photo of the completed 68-way record is online at www.raisethesky.org.

We're compiling media links to share. Here are a few from the preliminary list:

CBS: "Wingsuit Flyers Trying to Break Record"
http://cbs2.com/tv/Lake.Elsinore.wingsuit.2.1297594.html

CBS embedded video:
http://cbs2.com/video/[email protected]

The Press-Enterprise: "Wingsuit fliers attempting world record in Lake Elsinore"
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_E_wingsuit06.47b3235.html

The record holders are:

Ralph Armstrong
Avery Badenhop
Brian Barnhart
Riaan Bergh
Rolf Brombach
Paul Cain
Elana Cain
Brian Caldwell
Scott Callantine
Troy Church
Damien Dykman
Jhonathan Florez
Alex Frey
Kenneth Gajda
David Gershfeld
Silvestri Giovanni
Robert Gray
Steve Harrington
Cate Heneghan
Jimmy Hopper
Sean Horton
Richard Hough
Shinichi Ito
John Kallend
Mark Krasinski
Mette, Hogaard Kristensen
Martin Libelt
Benjamin Lowe
Ryan Maher
Sergey Makeev
Marko Makela
Dan Mayer
Randy McCoy
Francis Mobley
Michal Motykiewicz
Jeff Nebelkopf
Sergey Nikulin
Andreea Olea
Alexander Osipov
Justin Pabis
Tero Paukku
Ed Pawlowski
Philip Peggs
Craig Poxon
Raider Ramstad
Simon Repton
Joe Rodriguez
David Royer
Valery Rozov
Cliff Ryder
Dennis Sattler
Patrick Schraufnagel
Alexey Shatilov
Justin Shorb
Irina Sinitsina
Benny Skovhede
Brian Snarr
Kristin Sosso
Jochen Stier
Stephen Such
Michael Swanson
Michael Swearingen
Jonathan Tagle
Andrei Volkov
Alexander von Scheidt
Taya Weiss
Bo Wienberg
Duncan Wright

Articles about the event will be in January's Parachutist; next issue of the BPA mag; and 90Percent.

I can't say enough good things about the people who came out to fly this formation. The people who visited us from City Year had a great time and nothing but positive feedback about the amazing energy. Thanks to all for making this not just a record, but a meaningful event beyond our small community.

For anyone who wasn't there, to learn more about it check out the Raise the Sky website. We raised more than $5000 to help underserved kids in Los Angeles stay in school B|

Oh yes. Another amazing moment: when Lurch's name got drawn to win a free custom TonySuit. We also gave away two 50% coupons for an Argus, a 25% off coupon from Aerodyne and Scotty Burns, two copies of Matt Hoover's wingsuit photography book, a weekend of FREE jumping at Lodi with Team Ill Vision courtesy of WestCoast Wingsuits, and prints from videographers Scotty Burns, Matt Hoover, Craig O'Brien, and Mark Harris.

I'll let someone else tell the story of how the party Thursday ended with a disappearing keg...

"The surface area of the fabric allows the diver to slow their vertical speed to 10mph, and allows them to travel horizontally at up to 100mph."

Journalists will always mess up something. In this case, they switched the numbers. It's should be

"The surface area of the fabric allows the diver to slow their vertical speed to 100mph, and allows them to travel horizontally at up to 10mph."

Stupid me! I thought that f10cker's typical D/L is 1.0... it's actually 10.0!!! The name "f10cker" now makes even more sense. :)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Brian-

Thank you for your kind words. I truly feel that every time someone showed me their appreciation, it felt like I was gifted an extra half hour of (otherwise missing) sleep.

As I said often this week, it was my pleasure to be here and part of an amazing event. Wingsuiting is a big family, and it was impressive to see so many unique personalities uniting on a common goal. I learned a lot, and was humbled by the skill, caring, and focus of wingsuiters as a whole.

To be fair, I was only the most public face of a strong crew who also worked tirelessly during the week. Phil Peggs created a video processing system that allowed for quick debriefs and efficient release to media. I cannot stress how important this was to every aspect of the event.

I would also like to thank Taya for her countless hours dedicated to a usually thankless task. She was the glue that bound a wonderful charity to this unique crew. There aren't many in skydiving that attempt to give back in such a real way.

The entire team of organizers were amazing at listening to each other, sharing their own vision, and then uniting behind a decision. It was inspiring to watch.

Thank you again for allowing me to play with the flock for a bit. To be playfully honest, I do hope I didn't do TOO good a job on the ground... I'd like to be freed up to go fly with everyone next time!!! ;)

Now if only we knew what happened to that keg...

'til soon-

eli

Head on over to Raise the Sky and check out our latest news.

I just posted the video I had made (and since improved) for the final party of the event. Hope you like it!

Phill
Inspiring video, nice! The dedicatin of these volunteers is astounding. Team Ill Vision was gratefull to a part of this event, and put BIG smiles on the faces of the City Year volunteers.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Zach, thanks for the compliment!

To answer you question about being offered to go...yes and no. The visit was the day before the bulk of people arrived, but we were working on their schedule.

There was an open invitation for anyone interested to come out, but we also had to be aware that our visit was during "business" hours for the school. We kept the number respectably small, but we did have one jumper take us up on our offer. Simon Repton took the whole day off from jumping to come see City Year in action with us!

Also, a big kudos to Ill Vision! The City Year members really got a huge kick out of wearing all those wingsuits!! Many thanks for bringing the awesomeness!

I am very glad that I went on the school visit, it gave the whole event a very special meaning above and beyond the obvious. I tried hard not to get in the way of things, it was a school and there were people there trying to do their jobs. However, I can't say I was upset when all those cute kids asked for my autograph! I was just blown away at how smart, engaged, vibrant and communicative they were, in those eyes I saw the future, and in the City Year folks I saw the energy to make futures a reality. Don't ask me what I was expecting to see, but I got a surprise.

How did I end up on the visit? I recalled that Taya had mentioned in a previous event email about a possible school visit. I grew up in a middle class UK environment, very removed from what I perceived South L.A to be. All I knew of L.A was from Death Wish movies.

I drove out to Elsinore about a week before the event and felt that it was important for me to visit the school, to somehow get me in touch with reality. I asked the night before the team went and invited on the trip. I spend $25 a jump, 3-4 times a day on the weekend yet still seem to think I need more, here are kids and families that need that same $25 for basic living expenses. You try to answer an inner city kid that asks "how much does that wingsuit cost?" or "how much does it cost to learn to be a skydiver?". I learned on that visit that even the poorest of skydivers is truly rich.

The majority of folks were just getting in, in fact that night I picked up a couple of organizers at the airport on the way back to Elsinore.

I look forward to participating in more Raise The Sky charity events in the future. Truthfully I skydive for very selfish reasons and to find ways for others to benefit is going to be important to me moving forwards.

Simon

that's good to hear. too bad others didn't take the offer up. I understand wanting to keep it small, I would have done the same.

props to ill vision too. looks like they did a great job around the dz (at the event and w/ the children)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Both short (5:42) and long (13:33) event videos from the US National Wingsuit Record are online, both on www.facebook.com/raisethesky and www.raisethesky.org.

You can download two versions of the long video here.

The shorter video (that has been on the front page of our site) is now here.

Thanks to Phil Peggs for the awesome video editing! And thanks to everyone who participated, once again. For anyone who wants to keep up to date on what Raise the Sky is doing, subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on facebook and twitter. Here's a link to the latest 2010 newsletter.