redwing120

Monarch canopy for wingsuit

I'm a wingsuit pilot beginner and I need a canopy. I saw a good deal on a Monarch canopy. From what I know it's pretty much like a Sabre 1. To make sure, I'd like to hear from someone with more experience and knowledge and let me know if I can use this canopy for wingsuit fly. :SThanks!! David

I'm not a wingsuit flyer, but have owned/jumped 3 different Monarchs. They are very much like the old Sabre. They generally open in a slight turn, but stop themselves without input. They can really spank if you're not careful of how you position your slider. In over 500 jumps (195, 175, 155) I only got slapped once, at a boggie, hurry-up pack job. The guy I sold the 195 to complained all the time about hard openings, but he never stopped trash-packing it. I split it from the center out between each line group, quartered the slider, and rolled the nose 1 full turn. I was generally very careful to keep the slider up tight after I had it on the ground. They were great canopies and real cheap to buy used ten years ago, but they're getting pretty old by now. A great deal means what??? $250
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I had a monarch for awhile. did great as a wingsuit rig, always opened stable, never slammed me while wearing a wingsuit (got it once on a freefall jump but I must have been sloppy, as it was usually good)

I've since moved on to a pilot that I love, but for a first time less expensive canopy i had no problems with it.