LouDiamond

PSA: COLD WEATHER

is apon us or soon to be depending on where you live. Just a friendly reminder that the addition of long underwear, gloves,etc can change the way things feel from suit fit to ones hackey and handles. Do a quick review on the ground once you add all those cold weather items to check your normal range of motion and what things feel like with thick gloves on. Better to be surprised on the ground than up in the sky. Be safe and have fun. :)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Why is Scott Campos abusing his moderator priviledges to remove a post with links, pointing him to two 100% identical posts he made on this subject already?

It wasnt in any way violating forum rules, and actually trying to enforce them (why post the same message 3 times?).

Cheap use of moderator rights to try and hide a triple repost...quite sad
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Why is Scott Campos abusing his moderator priviledges to remove a post with links, pointing him to two 100% identical posts he made on this subject already?

It wasnt in any way violating forum rules, and actually trying to enforce them (why post the same message 3 times?).

Some messages need to be posted regularly, since we seem to get fatalities due to the same causes with regularity. Already a fatality in Canada this month with gloves a likely factor.

Scott could have 'bumped' an older post or made this one, his choice.

If you had thought of it first, you could have done it your way.

Maybe you'll grumble about my sig line next, it has now appeared a few thousand times.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Explain why refering to 2 older post with a link needs removal, and funny comments from Tero and Trond are still there..

Not bitching about the actual post (even though its the same person posting the same message for a third time)...just wondering why the funny remarks remain, yet a normal post refering to previous threads on the same subject are removed..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This statement doesn't make any sense since you can't survive something you don't have. You have it, you might survive it. There's no "sure" way, though.

The only sure way not to have a canopy collision is not to open your parachute. :)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Some messages need to be posted regularly, since we seem to get fatalities due to the same causes with regularity. Already a fatality in Canada this month with gloves a likely factor.

I don't think anybody questioned the fact that it's damn good advice to be careful about cold weather issues. It's definitely something worth thinking about and worth reminding people about every year.

Fair enough. It's his choice and perhaps not that big a deal... though it's kind of ironic for him to post an absolutely identical thing 3 times on the forum, when he's usually the one to reply to a lot of threads saying stuff along the lines of "this has already been addressed before, search the forum for my posts on the matter from X years ago". Oh well.
Again, not arguing with the actual content of the initial post, it is good advice, worth being reminded of. But deleting any post that tells you "here's other copies of this thread from the past"?? Wtf?

Maybe you'll grumble about my sig line next, it has now appeared a few thousand times.

I think all Jarno is pissed about is why on earth his post got removed. I noticed that too this morning and found it rather odd. All that post did was add 2 links to 2 old threads on the same topic. If anything, it enabled people too lazy to use the search function to see what's been said on the topic in the past. I don't recall there being any personal attack or anything to warrant its removal. Just seemed a bit overkill...

Anyhoo.. yea... cold weather is dangerous... while we're on the topic, it's a good idea to check your reachy wingsuit sleeves (those who have them) on the ground and make sure you can still reach up like you're used to with all the added layers you've put underneath... wouldn't be a fun thing to find out while you're trying to deal with massive line twists. A thinner high performance layer (like UnderArmour's ColdGear stuff) is better than a bulky sweatshirt.

And careful doing naked rodeos in the snow. Nipples might freeze and fall off. :P

If you had thought of it first, you could have done it your way.

Jarno, your posts were removed because they detracted from the message, which concerns safety. If you have something to contribute to this thread that concerns safely jumping in cold weather and not complaining about posts that are many years old, by all means please post them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Jarno, your posts were removed because they detracted from the message, which concerns safety.

awww, cmon Scott, don't be a selective meanie! :)75% of the crap that gets posted in this forum is just that... crap... if you're THAT concerned with safety, either don't discriminate and just go delete every single post that falls in the same "this is useless" category, or cut the guy some slack.

If you have something to contribute to this thread that concerns safely jumping in cold weather and not complaining about posts that are many years old

many years old?? one of those threads he dug up was this one from '08. not that many years. and lookie what we find there... some more funny crap that diverts from the safety concern... which... OMG... nobody deleted!!! sheesh, you greenies, get to work!! how could you allow that stuff to stay?? :P
and then what else is in that thread? some damn good advice from Phil Peggs.
So, actually, Jarno's post enabled people to see Phil's advice about zipping up before boarding from that old thread, hence indirectly contributed to the whole safety thing.

In case no one read the advice from Phil Peggs;

"Zip everything up before getting on the plane" (in case you can't do it on the plane and have to ride the plane down for being too bulky)

I'd say that's a pretty direct contribution to the topic. Then again, Phil is more responsible than most:)

This statement doesn't make any sense since you can't survive something you don't have. You have it, you might survive it. There's no "sure" way, though.

The only sure way not to have a canopy collision is not to open your parachute. :)

My message is very clear even if it doesn't meet your standards of linguistic purity.

Just bought the following from motorcycle gear store; might have good skydiving application :

First Gear - Cold Weather Base Gear

Now as flyers or riders; you take strong wind speed/chill to the chest or front areas of legs. Product packaging says" Outer nylon shell on front panel of long sleeve shirt and pants stops moisture and cold air from coming in. Breathable middle membrane and inside fleece lining for warmth. Moisture wicking fabric.

Product appears that it will do well under jumpsuits, wingsuits, or riding gear....will have to see how it performs. I hopefull as its designed to help you stay warm when exposed to wind chill for extended periods of time. Polar fleece still lets the wind in...under a wingsuit; I'll have to see how this product performs as the air cools down up top.

Other "tricks" I have used are Baklava's and a they charcol type handwarmers from my old duck blind days; keeps the hands warm through your gloves before exit, just tuck it into your jumpsuit.

I have also noticed that a full face helmet rather than open faced helmet with goggles makes a big difference too.

Another buddy of mind found that nitrile rubber exam gloves, either one or "doubled up" under his regular jump gloves kept his hands warm for the few minute duration of flight. They're cheap and he was just put on new pair before each jump.

Hope this helps! I cringe wondering where this thread may take off at the mention of nitrile rubber exam gloves. :S