muero

Wings over Gransee

Met up with Tobi today at Teuge and had a nice 'worldchampions of wingsuitflying meet' (didnt see Justin somehow:P) and he was all praise for the new no dive, up/down wind leg. It gives a much more true image of wingsuit performance, and also is s much more direct comparison of flying(instead of flaring) skills...

Only the speed round didnt seem like the most interesting one, as most people end up doing steep diving all jump, instead of flying. Taking the avg speed from the 2 time and distance jimp, to see who has the highest flying velocity/cruise speed while performance flying seems to make more sense.

Having a competition be about the actual flying, and also showing the world a more true representation on what suits can do performancewise is (to me) the purest form in which you could organise such a contest.

Granted the high wind+dive numbers look a lot cooler, but as the 500 meter distance difference between up/downwind legs (in low wind) and also taking dive of the equation, showed this year. Its scores more than a 1000 meter less compared to Marls results, which you (tony) also quoted as the actual glide distance. Though maybe less fun to you, I think in the end everyone benefits from a more accurate performance gauge/image of all suits and flyers.

and most important, will also enable us to compare competitions from year to year and see the slow but steady increase in time and distance. Which till this point wasnt possible due to missing accurate hour to hour wind information on each comp.

Wouldnt you want to compare your score that gets you 1st place over Tobi next year to that of this year without the wind and dive altitude being the only thing that differed?

To me it sound like an improvent on all fronts, with 'but I like diving' being the only counter arguement...as fun as (I agree,:) dive and flare may be...

Also hope to be at Gransee and Marl next year to join in on the fun!
All the best!

J

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Met up with Tobi today at Teuge and had a nice 'worldchampions of wingsuitflying meet' (didnt see Justin somehow) and he was all praise for the new no dive, up/down wind leg. It gives a much more true image of wingsuit performance, and also is s much more direct comparison of flying(instead of flaring) skills...

J

hey I just spoke to Tobi, he said he didn't want the dive taken out,

you told a porki pie there Jarno,

heres what he said

"i told to jarno, that i didn't like the speedround at all, but not that they took out the dive until the measure window, that's not correct! "

I thought it strange because he and I were part of the 1/3 that voted the dive be left in last month in Gransee,

and also how do you claim the world champion thing, I saw you compete at Marl in 08 and you came nowhere
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Than thats one thing I mis-understood.
But dive aside, seeing the differences between up and downwind legs, thats at least one step towards getting a more true performance gauge. With the dive gone, and a longer (11.500ft to 4500ft) competition window (also making endurance part of the game) being a next good step.

That the dive is incredible fun, and something competitors (for fun) want as part of this type of competition. Sure, why not. But than also be realistic in seperating peak performance, and actual sustained performance levels of a wingsuit.
Seeing as you previously quoted scores at these competions as absolute glide ratios the suits are capable of, its technically also what you want. Even though you may not realise it yet...;)

and also how do you claim the world champion thing,

By us whooping your ass at the International Artistic Wingsuit Competition just over a month ago?;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Than thats one thing I mis-understood.
But dive aside, seeing the differences between up and downwind legs, thats at least one step towards getting a more true performance gauge. With the dive gone, and a longer (11.500ft to 4500ft) competition window (also making endurance part of the game)
----------------------------------------------------------
oh we're having fun now, so take the dive out and make the gate out the door so we're flying sub-terminal, and holding that hard ass'd position for another 1000 feet, what fun, what...."Endurance"
Shame it would lower the G/R even more.

and also how do you claim the world champion thing,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By us whooping your ass at the International Artistic Wingsuit Competition just over a month ago?
--------------------------------------------------------

Well thank you for the compliment but beating me in competition doesn't make you a world champion, you have to win a world championships to make that claim,
I didn't hear you say Jeff and I were World Champs when we won it last year.
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Tony...next time you hit post, pleaase take 1 second to learn how the quote function works (get markup help, just read it once).....saves people puzzling when reading your posts;)

tony wrote:

oh we're having fun now, so take the dive out and make the gate out the door so we're flying sub-terminal

Unless you're running a dropzone that has balloons as the standard aircraft..subterminal exits are not really the most common thing.
The throw of the airplane gives you additional performance the first bit (a high speed skyvan exit being the most extreme example).

But its not right out of the door I (and others) suggested. But only having 500 ft or so.

tony wrote:

, and holding that hard ass'd position for another 1000 feet, what fun, what...."Endurance"

Actually another 3000 feet...:D
And yes..it would suck if (like other sports) it would mean people would have to train hard for it and grow some muscles/stamina:P
Being actual athletes...

Compared to the training most 4VRW and FS jumpers do for competitions, we are the most un-diciplined bunch out there (in terms of dedicated training jumps vs funjumps). Which isnt an issue, but dont try and compensate for that by not fully optimizing the playground/battle arena (available altitude) we have...

And if the added flying time bores you...bring an Ipod:P

tony wrote:

Shame it would lower the G/R even more.

Your obsession with high L/D numbers is funny...
If you win with lower glide ratios (closer to the actual performance of a wingsuit), that wouldnt really change a single thing would it?

tony wrote:

Well thank you for the compliment but beating me in competition doesn't make you a world champion, you have to win a world championships to make that claim

Thank you! You finaly seem to get what I am hinting at:)

I didn't hear you say Jeff and I were World Champs when we won it last year

And we see a patern emerging...:P

Now read back, and TRY to understand the fact I am JOKING about the world championship title, and the fact that there IS no such thing.
There are currently 5 (if not more) different performance flying competitions, at least 3 different artistic competitions...all with their own set of rules.

There are only individual competition winners. Be it as a team or as a solo performer. But there IS NO WINGSUIT WORLD CHAMPION!!
So for sure, also no title you can 'lease' to someone else...which is what sprung the joke I made a few posts up;):P

That aside...pleased to see people discuss rules/competitions/possible changes. Thats the way forward if the whole community thinks allong and helps build something bigger and better...B|

As a side subject, the video James edited on Terni will be online tomorrow!B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?