packing_jarrett

returning wingsuit flyer

Being as I am from a upper midwest dropzone where wingsuit flyers are few and far between, I just want people to fly with so ultimately I don't care what suit it is.

Coming from the guy throwing drogues causing me to do solos. :P Oh well ...

"I'm so ronery, so ronery, so ronery and sadry arone." Kim Jong Il

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

<-------- Pops into thread, offers Campos some popcorn, high-fives Andreea, applauds Teh Skwrl's inspirational speech, spots J-Sho mixing it up in the middle of the melee and waves, (Whatup bro? How goes the fight?) and kicks back with a beer to enjoy the show.

Neat thing about being a tech hack: I'm exempt from the brand wars cause theres nothing in the sky even vaguely resembling what I've been flying last couple years. If the day ever comes that I can't keep up with the state of the art in my current fleet of hacks, I'll just build a better hack. Hardcase 2.0: Now with even MORE diamond plate! These days I've been flying S-6 Megawing mod 3.0. I've been keeping THAT one in reserve for years now, and actually needed the thing when Sho came home with an X-bird. We've been enthusiastically kicking each others asses ever since, with great fun had by all.
Because we remember:
We remember that we are here not because of the path that lies before us, but because of the puffies that lie behind us!
We remember that for one hundred years...we have flown these skies! We remember that for one hundred years, the brand wars have served only to unite us! And after a century of flight, we remember that, which matters most! WE ARE STILL HERE!!!
Oh, and, J? I got me a new Cx100 and am currently creating a mount for it, naturally, on that Darth Vader-looking chunk of carbonfuckingfiber I wear on my head. So the next time I get kicked in the face in freefall, it'll be in HD! Can anybody recommend a good small lens? A durable one? My gear tends to take a beating, either from combat wingsuiting or that cloud of debris that follows me everywhere...
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Hahaha....3GS here as well...
But do keep trying....;)

oh-oh... you guys are still so close... I wonder who's gonna win???

Shall we compare the penis sizes for the final round??
Please post pics & video taken with your brand spanking new 3GS iCock

Andrea, did you ever find out who has the bigger penis (Jarno or Justin)? B|

One possible solution: buy a suit from every manufacturer B|

(I did: Phoenix Fly: Phantom, Ghost, Stealth, Vampire 3, Tonysuit XS, X-Bird, S-Fly Expert, ProFly, Verso, + a few other suits...)

yea... why doesn't everyone do that? I mean... what are you guys... cheap or something? It's just throwing a few more thousand dollars here and there, no biggie :)

If you're small, T-Bird. If you're medium, Raptor/R-Bird. If you're large, SM1/S-Bird. If you want to go fast as f**k, X-Bird. Any more questions?

Yes actually. Have the "bird" versions made the originals obsolete? I.e., Is there any point to the Raptor with the existence of the R-Bird? The SM1 with the release of the S-Bird? XS and X-Bird?

ok, here's what Im thinking, its still a bit early to say but, I think, heavy guys "Might" still prefer the old style wings, Justin, Jeff, do you agree? you lend em out a lot more than I do
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

I think, heavy guys "Might" still prefer the old style wings, Justin, Jeff, do you agree?

What is the functional difference between the old and the *-bird wings? Thanks!

Functional difference?.....hard to say scientifically, Its done more on feel and performance, there is a lot less fabric in the new arms,
that's why a heavy guy might need more speed to get lift, hard to do when flocking as you have to match the groups speed

the cord is shorter through most of the arm so pulling seems easier, the long part of the wing is all close to your body so the weight on the arm is less,

I do think laminar flow is improved.......

there's twice and many ribs in the new suit, though most are just in the trailing edges,

we've also been working on "ruderage" the line on the foam bootie and the ribs in the legs...

+ some other small secret things :)

tonysuits.com

the cord is shorter through most of the arm so pulling seems easier, the long part of the wing is all close to your body so the weight on the arm is less,

I fly a Stealth these days. I got no problem with arm wing pressure.

I'm not so happy because the suit limits my reach even more, than my Phantom I got before. I have not been and not planing to be on the floater bar with Stealth.

I'm wondering to get an XS or X-bird, so I'd like to know if X-bird would have more freedom of arm compared to XS.

Thanks!

I think, heavy guys "Might" still prefer the old style wings, Justin, Jeff, do you agree?

A diet...like..healthy food...(just an example).
this is all what is needed..;) then real wingsuits...B|B|

Or just make some miracle and put skinny guy on that suits they deserve. They usually get the biggest wing than complain about they have to fly dirty with heavier guys. I was flying formation with a girl in tracking suit and I was flying my Stealth. I don't care about delays and willing to take the challenge.

I do think laminar flow is improved.......

Just for the sake of being bitchy, but shouldn't the claim be "turbulence is reduced"? Since laminar flow can't really be achieved with a wingsuit, only turbulent flow is applicable. If it were laminar airflow, the air particles that hit the front of the wing would meet back more or less exactly together once the wing has passed through it (like a marble descending through a glass of water). The most efficient wingsuit wings still produce a ton of turbulence. Just sayin'...

no, I have not yet received any pics/video. still waiting.

I think there are some much less technical ways to find out. B|
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

no, I have not yet received any pics/video. still waiting.

I think there are some much less technical ways to find out. B|

everone knows jjarno's gay, not sure about justin, but probably too.. go ahead, make your move! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If you had a Phantom 1 with back flying inlets, the performance of the suit is about 30% less than a phantom 1 without the back flying inlets.

Backfly inlets do offer some resistance due to added drag on, though that difference is closer to 1% than 30 on any wingsuit model/make or brand.

And as to the size competition thing...everyone knows Im shaped like a ken/barbie doll, lacking genetals in general ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If you liked your S-Fly Expert, then why not go and demo the new S-Fly Verso. If you’re used to the clean flight of a monowing you’ll get the best of both (and it has back vents). I’ve got an S-Fly Expert and about 80 wingsuit jumps. I’ve demo’d other tri-wings, but you can feel the extra drag as soon as you exit. Admittedly, the trend to big “floaty” suits trend is feeding on itself. People get bigger suits to fly slow & floaty and others then must do the same to fly easily with a large flock. It’s like Americans buying big 4x4 SUVs in case they get hit by ... another big 4x4 SUV.

Just look closely at some of the latest flock photos on the net; not only are legs bent, but people are flying around with about a 90 degree bend or more (I’m not an aerodynamicist, but that’s not an airplane wing to me). Personally, I like having a fast/agile suit for aerobatics and flying in small/mid-size groups which accounts for the majority of my jumping.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Ofcourse there is some performance difference in the different suits... But in the end, it's not the suit who should fly you; it's you who should fly the suit.

Get a suit which you like and then learn how to fly it.

PS. I've got the biggest dick!
But it's okay, i'm from sweden.
It's not over untill the bearded lady swings!

I fly a Stealth these days. I got no problem with arm wing pressure.

I'm not so happy because the suit limits my reach even more, than my Phantom I got before. I have not been and not planing to be on the floater bar with Stealth.

I'm wondering to get an XS or X-bird, so I'd like to know if X-bird would have more freedom of arm compared to XS.

Thanks!

yes, I think the "curve" in the trailing edge of the X-Bird arm makes it more flexable, plus the easy reach sleeve lets you reach up to the floater bar without having to stand on tip toes,
I have thumb loops on some of my suits, but I like to leave em off, way less restrictive on opeing and when floating,

tonysuits.com

Never been on the floaters bar? On both stealth and stealth2 (available soon) I have no issues reaching the floaters bar/camera step. I can already reach risers on opening (be it halfway up) and love having a cutaway on top of the zippers on the sleeve in case of emergency.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This may be individual suit-specific issue - I have the old (non-Bird) wing and I have no problems reaching the floater bar or the camera grip.

(Sometimes my feet slip off the camera step resulting in a skwrl in tow, but that's another story.)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

What Tony is trying to say is the new Safety sleeve allows you to reach your risers AND TOGGLES in any case, especially an emergency. Just look up, say oh shit and reach.:)
Jsho

And I'd have to say they work. I had to use them on the first flight on my new R-Bird.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If you had a Phantom 1 with back flying inlets, the performance of the suit is about 30% less than a phantom 1 without the back flying inlets.

Backfly inlets do offer some resistance due to added drag on, though that difference is closer to 1% than 30 on any wingsuit model/make or brand.

A bit of duck tape brought the performance of my current phantom 1(with back fly inlets) to the old orange/black phantom 1 levels.

And yes about 30%.

Kris