Tony_Suits

Tony Suits puts the 'WIN' in Wingsuit!

For the second year running, Tony Wingsuits rank 1st in the World for Time and Distance at Wings Over Marl.
Ranking every place in Time from 1st to 8th, with Tony Uragallo himself winning first place in Distance.

Many were surprised that he competed due to extensive shoulder surgery earlier this year. Tony also entered the competition many jumps behind the other competitors. Wearing his latest innovation, the X-Bird, Tony achieves a 3.52 glide ratio taking him 3,588 meters. Tobi Scherrinsky, wearing his Tony XS, ranks 1st place for Time with 78.9 seconds.

Congratulations to all the competitors!
The results are posted here:
http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showdistancecomp.php

Get your WINgsuit today, order online at www.tonysuits.com

What were the winds doing and what was the direction of competition run relative to the wind?

Now with all these trackingderbyish* competitions out there, the word "performance" starts losing any sense. Huge mattresses start beating suits known for their high L/D - in DISTANCE challenge, no less! And here's a quick example of possible why.

Suit 1 - speed & glide demon. Vx = 105mph, Vy = 40mph, L/D = 2.625.
vs.
Suit 2 - slow, but decently performing mattress. Vx = 75mph, Vy = 30mph, L/D = 2.5.

Over 1000m of altitude in 30mph tailwind:

Suit 1: time = 55.9s, distance = 3375m, glide ratio = 3.375 ((105mph+30mph)/40mph)

Suit 2: time = 74.6s, distance = 3500m, glide ratio = 3.5 ((75mph+30mph)/30mph)

Slow mattress "trackingderbied" the higher performance suit. It's like a giant 7-cell accuracy canopy will outfly a higher L/D crossbrace in strong tailwind because it will take advantage of the push for significantly longer time.

How 'bout doing two runs in the opposite directions and averaging the results? With this setup, the wind effects will be minimized.

But then again, people just love setting up nonsensical competitions of all sorts, so why would they? ;)

Yuri

------------------------------------------------
* like in, "You're so trackingderbyish! Flying down strong winds and marveling at nonsensical GPS results! Idiot." ;)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

PS: The results are interesting: distance is a mix, time is Tony, and speed is Robert.

Comparing distance or speed results from different times (Robi's is year old) without knowing the winds and flight direction at the time of flight does not make any sense.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

But then again, people just love setting up nonsensical competitions of all sorts, so why would they? ;)

Yuri

------------------------------------------------
* like in, "You're so trackingderbyish! Flying down strong winds and marveling at nonsensical GPS results! Idiot." ;)

why on earth is it that wingsuiters have to slam every atchevment thats done wingsuiting,
FYO, the windy day was the friday, I did my runs on the saterday when the winds were low at altitude to none on the ground, performance is the trick, get it right and kick it, or sit in your bedroom and bitch.
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

Bravo and Congratulations Tony..... and that's coming from a "known Male Bitcher"( my suits too hot,..the aircraft doors are too small, it's too far to drive, etc. etc. ,.... ) So from this "Yank" to you : Way to go ! .... It's all just fun and whoever flys the best wearing whatever he or she is weraing on any one day,...and "you", Jeff and others in your suits seem to have eatablished a very consistent trend in "combined suit and flying technique" performance ,...

I know my 234 Lb body ( in between meals ) and bad shoulder ( braced and taped) would never have been able to get down to 55mph ( once) or to hold 61or 62 mph to stay level with some flocks ( "for most of the time") without me wearing your Super Mach One.

I once maxed my prior SM1 out at 147 seconds over Z hills flying a few hundred feet away from,.. but next to Scotty Bland. ( and he saw the neptune #'s when we landed ) We both departed at 13,500 altitude and with just one left turn out the door,... I opened at 2500 and that was "more than enough time and shoulder pain" for me to ever want... my arms were shaking! ..... I know nothing about L/D, and wind effects on that flight and on that day other than we were going downwind on a normal day but I know Scotty Bland and I " went a long way" that day,..from well out over the city of Zhills to beyond the DZ, ( and I have seen Jeff go much farther past the DZ ,...turn around and come back to open ) ,...In my SM1 at my weight I also know I can cover a lot of ground when I don't bend my legs to stay with lighter guys,..( ask Chuck Blue) ,..... but they all catch up and then I see them pass me at slower speeds higher up above me as they stay up there longer... So really? ...does any of that specicfic ## stuff even matter on a typical sunny day while flocking or carving puffies?

I get lost in the reasoning as to why anyone wants to create mini conflicts between us birdy folks or challenge one competition day's "realities" with theoretical thoughts on what could have been if "whatever" ( except designers) Why would I want to know all the specific #'s except when in competition like you were or when test piloting a new design like I know Jeff, Chuck, Zunn, Scott Campos and Justin etc all do ( and Roby did) to make the best suits possible or to plan precise military type flight mission.

Anyway,..VERY good job Tony! Keep making the suits beter and better... I just know I will see someone in my lifetime land a wingsuit without anything but maybe an aerodynamic "simple" deployable drag device or drogue parachute ( like the schuttle or SR71 use to slow down their forward speeds just at or just before before touchdown),... And when that happens ,..I don't really "care" who's suit it's done in,.... but I"ll guess that it might be one of yours or a uit based on some adaptation of your suits.

Thanksto you and Jeff for creating something that has given me the chance for the last two+ years of fun in my life. Stoney:)

Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

The results are posted here:
http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showdistancecomp.php

Very very impressive Tony, nice work!! glad you could jump even though the weather was so shit.

Except that those are the results for all tracks that have ever been uploaded to the Paralog Performance Competition website. For the Marl scoreboard, please go here:

http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?category=Time&event=Wings+over+Marl+2009&units=metric

So no, Robi didn't participate in Marl this year. The score that you posted Butters, was at Gransee last year.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

why on earth is it that wingsuiters have to slam every atchevment thats done wingsuiting,
FYO, the windy day was the friday, I did my runs on the saterday when the winds were low at altitude to none on the ground, performance is the trick, get it right and kick it, or sit in your bedroom and bitch.

Yea seriously Yuri, WTF is wrong with you? We've never seen any hard data from you... If you're so amazingly awesome, put your money where your mouth is, otherwise get off of your high horse and STFU!
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Way to go Tony.

With just a handful of jumps on the X-Bird, coming off a tough shoulder surgery and still winning.

Did I mention that this was done on a suit that you can reach to the top of your risers under canopy without unzipping.

Not too shabby!

Oh ya plus Tony is old and fat:)

BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Way to go Tony.

With just a handful of jumps on the X-Bird, coming off a tough shoulder surgery and still winning.

Did I mention that this was done on a suit that you can reach to the top of your risers under canopy without unzipping.

Not too shabby!

Oh ya plus Tony is old and fat:)

You gotta problem with old fat guys who have had recent surgury?:P

Very impressive, Tony. Quite happy for you, and very impressed.
Funny how often the pendulum seems to swing in the "it's the suit, not the pilot, etc. Obviously this was a winning combination.

Yea seriously Yuri, WTF is wrong with you? We've never seen any hard data from you... If you're so amazingly awesome, put your money where your mouth is, otherwise get off of your high horse and STFU!

+1

Yea seriously Yuri, WTF is wrong with you? We've never seen any hard data from you... If you're so amazingly awesome, put your money where your mouth is

To be fair, he never claimed he was awesome. He just loves to tell others how awesome they aren't. Classy.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So no, Robi didn't participate in Marl this year. The score that you posted Butters, was at Gransee last year.

When I mentioned Robert and Tony I wasn't referring to them, I was referring to their wingsuits. Regardless, it's nice seeing the performance constantly increasing from everyone ... keep pushing the edge!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch