keithbar

kicking out of line twists in a w/s is quite entertaining

doing some two ways the other weekend. opened up with 1 and a half twists. I'm flying backwards looking up at the tail. muscle memory took over i grabbed the base of the risers gave a big kick. got out of a half twist for a split second then the twists turned me back around facing the tail again.:$ but at least that told me that my airspace was clear and i didn't have to chop to keep from crashing into someone else. the old trusty sabre was flying along just fine with me facing backwards. so I unzip the arm wings grab risers and try to kick out again. get out of the same half twist. and then get turned back around facing the tail for the 3rd time. shit! unzip the legs. cross my arms spread the risers and start riding the bicycle and ever so slowly the damn things untwist. took at least 30 seconds or more to get out of. everyone I've showed the footage to got a good chuckle out of it. if i wasn't so damn worthless on the computer I'd post it to u tube and put a link on here.:S got to love the old school sabre though. it handled it fine
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

If your canopy is flying straight and level, instead of doing risers/kicking, keep every thing zipped up. Close the leg wing and extend the arm wing on the side you want to spin. The force of the air from the canopy flying forward and hitting the extended arm wing will cause you to spin under the canopy. As soon as you start to spin, pull in the arm wing. In effect, you will barrel roll your way out of line twists. Works like a charm. I was surprised how fast I unspun from 5 line twists. Just be ready to change plans if your canopy gets angry for some reason and stops behaving.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

i bought the suit used. it's one of the older style raptors with the thumb loops. I can get about 1 third of the way up the riser with everything still zipped and closed. not enough to get to the toggles. but enough to make a bit of a riser turn if i need to. haven't had to make a quick turn to avoid anyone and hope i don't. but it's just something I've found i can do.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

If your canopy is flying straight and level, instead of doing risers/kicking, keep every thing zipped up. Close the leg wing and extend the arm wing on the side you want to spin. thanks thats a good tip. I'll try that next time.

once U get spun up, one side of the risers lower than the other, try to lower your hips at the side where you want the risers to go down, this enables the canopy to level out in stead of spinning, at this point using the wing to barrelrol out of the rest can be used. than again, if it sucks, get rid of it ! use the reserve it's there for some reason.
I jump a stilleto 150 loaded at 1.6 for WS. been there done that ...;)

the beauty in attachment was sort of "handled" that way.

oxygen wingsuitteam
check out our newest movie
Trainingweek Seville Spain 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtzc1RDzDQ

once U get spun up, one side of the risers lower than the other, try to lower your hips at the side where you want the risers to go down, this enables the canopy to level out in stead of spinning, at this point using the wing to barrelrol out of the rest can be used. than again, if it sucks, get rid of it ! use the reserve it's there for some reason.
I jump a stilleto 150 loaded at 1.6 for WS. been there done that ...;)

the beauty in attachment was sort of "handled" that way.

After my second spinner/cutaway with my Stiletto in a WS, I decided to get a Spectre 135 for wingsuiting. No problems since.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There is also another method that I have found to be almost 100% effective to getting out of line twist. Jonathan Tagle tought me it. Its kind of a 2 step method. (#1) When you get into line twist, instead of grabbing your risers and spreading them, push them together. This brings the twist down towards the risers which makes it easier to get out of them. (#2) While squeezing the risers together, twist them in the same direction as the linetwist. This sounds counterproductive, but it will spin you out of the twist. I'm not really sure why it happens that way, but my guess would be that it involves Newton's 3rd Law of Motion (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction). By trying to twist the risers into the line twist (the action), your body will spin in the opposite direction (the equal and opposite reaction). This method works like a charm and has saved my ass many times from what would have been an immediate chop if I used any other way to remedy linetwist. I have a video of me using this technique that I will upload to youtube later if anyone wants to see it in action.

Here the link to the video I mentioned in my previous post. There are two points in the video where I have line twist on opening and use the technique that I mentioned (one at 1:47, and the other at 3:03). I didn't have to kick at all during either of those two openings to get out of the twists. Squeezing the risers together and twisting them did it all for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4Niwm3AYI

Edit: Forgot to make it a clicky

You know ,..each and all these techniques are really interesting and I have tried a couple since my two chops,.... This is one of (if not the most) common deployment initial problem for new and experienced wing suit flyers. It isn't "always" easily predictable by body position. I just had an idea:
( it happens once or twice a year)
How about Flock U in the USA (and someone else overseas) putting together a hanging harness trainer device like what is used with Safety Day re-current training harnesses for malfunctions and cutaways....BUT with enough risor and line length that we can induce twists for the wearer...(easy simple ones and ones with sliders twisted into really wickedly tight bunches!)

... We can then try out all these different techniques ( maybe with a hangar fan blowing to simulate the expected wind flow from the twist) It could be both shipped around and brought around to our major flock events and used for early training as well as by experienced flockers to reduce the "oh shit" effect and time loss,..increase awareness of various twists and through trial and error repititon, develop mind and muscle memories that could save some of us some valuable seconds when the evil twists actually do come .( as they seem to occassionally do)

Maybe it will save some chops, reserve rides, out landing injury risks, repacks or even a life? I'll donate a couple hundred bucks to help develop such a device.... and I will definitely "use it" to practice the ideas I have read on this thread.

With the use of a raised table or the ground to just lie on,...we could even simulate a line snagged on a helmet, camera or foot.... I'd be curious to try some coordinated reaches ,moves and simulated line line cuts on snags like that,... that I have only visualized in my head so far....( and learn what works from some others who have had such snags)

What'cha think? Stoney
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

Holy shit! I read this when you posted it and figured i would give it a shot since your video looked very good for getting out of line twist. This weekend i had a couple of line twist and did this move and was out of the twist in no time! Thanks for the info!

Im going to start a thread in general so more people can see it. Since some may not come in here often. Thanks again. Its alot quiker than anything i have ever done to get out of line twist.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!