diablopilot

Re: [VectorBoy] Tandem Flybys:

If in fact the FAA is looking at our section of Skydiving given we potentially can have an interaction with the portion that THEY are very interested in (Tandems) I think it is a discussion that we all have a stake in.

Not ment as thread drift, but in my jumping career Ive seen more tandems (on landing) be hindered by AFF students, high pullers and other people F*kin about under their canopy, than Ive seen them be hindered, injured or even interacting with tandems. Next to cameraflyers (on tandemjumps) sometimes following the tandems a tad to close for comfort.

Close proximity wingsuit flyby's are a stunt. And a dangerous one once getting past a certain margin/distance. But not one I would immidiately describe as problematic.

Aforementioned (non WS) jumpers interacting with tandems seem to be a bigger 'real' issue than 'us' wingsuit flyers?

Though some people are (at low experience levels) doing stupid stuff, that could easily be dealt with by USPA (or any organisation) under current rules and regulations in case of dangerous behaviour.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It wasn't four years ago that I offered to FREELY run a BMI course (because I was rated by that manufacturer to do so) on this dropzone to several people at the local jumpsuit factory. They all, for whatever reason, declined, but did not hesitate to take my documents when I offered them. Anyone in that group wanting to argue that point might want to ask Jeff Nebelkopf, Flora, or Tony Uragallo. Had ANY of those people bothed to take a day and a half out of their time and actually sat through at least the lecture I would be much less angry over what is going on now.

....out of curiosity on 12/29/06 you wrote:

PS: I will be qualifying at least three great wingsuit pilots this week for their BMI. This includes Jeff Nebelkopf. No he does not own a BM suit, but he does recognize that it is important to "fill in the blanks" for his program. I love him for it, as do I Tony Uragallo who was initially very hesitant to take anyone's advice. It's brilliant that such a well-known jumpsuit/manufacturer would take my "thorn in his side" advice seriously. His product is infinitely more retailable and popular than it was before my "interdiction." Everyone benefits from "tough love" when it's presented in the proper manner. ***

.....did this not end up happening? Just curious.

Just as I stated, Steve. It never happened. I freely offered it, posted that I had done so (as is evidenced by your sleuth work), and they just blew me off for whatever reason.

The end

I am closing this program for another lengthy time because I simply can't believe the shit I have been reading lately. If anyone wants to get in touch with me use the damn telephone or e-mail me.

WOW, Thread Drift Warning!

Yea, but it's a Moderator drifting it so it's okay in this case, right (need a refill of kool-aid?) ?;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

WOW, Thread Drift Warning!

Yea, but it's a Moderator drifting it so it's okay in this case, right (need a refill of kool-aid?) ?;)

I don't need a refill as I agree and was the first to post it was drifting. I would be happy to have all the bitching about WSI and regulations and peoples interests and motives not in this thread.

Instead of throwing me under the bus for pointing it out, how about adding to the conversation as a WS guy that likes to do Tandem Fly By's?????

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I would be happy to have all the bitching about WSI and regulations and peoples interests and motives not in this thread.
adding to the conversation as a WS guy that likes to do Tandem Fly By's?????

Scott C.

1 Boy starts thread about flyby opinions. The only correct answer should have been post #4 by Chris Warnock.

2 Boy travels to BOD meeting to discuss the need for greater oversight of WS discipline. Presents an example situation of a tandem wingsuit flyby so close as to have touched or harshly burbled the tandem.

3 Boy goes home to post about instruction oversight in the flyby thread.

The whole thing was about phishing for your naughty habits and you provided them on a silver platter while the "FAA watched".

Then there was that little crazy/funny part by our very own Atmo boy Funari. I don't get it but it sure is fun.:D

how about adding to the conversation as a WS guy that likes to do Tandem Fly By's?????

I think I could fly past people under canopy at 50' away all day long and not pose any danger to them. I'm no expert, but it's not that hard. I also think that if I pass anybody more than 300' away they shouldn't gripe about it.
I personally don't go closer than 300' to tandems, and think that even expert flyers shouldn't go any closer than 50'.
Some may want to double my figures and I'm ok with that. I don't agree with anyone needing a mile of clearance. I doubt they can see that far anyway.
But what do I know?

I think I could fly past people under canopy at 50' away all day long and not pose any danger to them. I'm no expert, but it's not that hard.

I'm jealous I never see the tandems after they exit. They have landed and doing the interview by the time I'm even getting close to deploying. I'm a very efficient flyer... yes "that good". My good buddy will back me up on that.

Funari quote> "What does matter is you have sacrificed any credibility you may have had simply through being "that good" yet never putting up the cards to have to prove it.

Not really a wingsuiter just yet, but Spot gave me his blassing on this post.

As far as I know a WINGsuit is another wing that needs to be learned to fly correctly. That being said, what your saying is the equivilent of an AFF student not being required to learn how to fly a parachute. In my veiw a wing is a wing is a wing. It doesnt matter if its a rediculously high WLing (a WS) or if its a 1:1 canopy. A instuctor syllabus makes sense since you're learning to fly a new wing.

Now what should that syllabis be? I dont know yet because Im not a WS'er yet. I think all Spot is trying to convey is that having a standardised and rating regulated FJC for WS'ers is all that is needed. I dont see how this would hurt WS'ing in any way....It only makes it better in the fact that only proficient skydivers are allowed to be trained for this and that the instruction is the same across the board.

Just this low-timer's opinion.
Muff #5048

You didn't get suckered. Its a very good post and some fraudulent, never been evaluated, over the phone rated, bogus BMI, current USPA commitee member could never say you have no credibility and your opinion does not count by baselessly accusing you of being dangerous.

Glenn, I'd like to assume you are not talking about me, however you're fucking nuts.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A instuctor syllabus makes sense since you're learning to fly a new wing.

You are flying your body. That is a catchy name. Don't try to fly a wingsuit until you can fly your body.

***standardised and rating regulated FJC for WS'ers is all that is needed. I dont see how this would hurt WS'ing in any way....

Just this low-timer's opinion.

We have a standardized course its so standard you can't tell the difference between the BM and PF course,... a regulated version isn't needed and there is no proof ( as in none) that one is. A regulated version would not be the end of the world but going around saying bad things that are not true about the wingsuit community to prove that regulation is needed is a terribly horrific thing. Beside the USPA has better thing to do than to listen to some crybabies .

Hey guys, I tried to split the thread between tandem flybys and WSI rating proposal but I guess I didn't catch it soon enough and the system is not sophisticated enough. Due to the way people have replied to certain parts of the thread, it's still a mix of both. I am not able to undo the split. Bear this in mind when people make calls on thread drift in these forums. I give people a fair amount of leeway in this forum but things do seem to be degenerating recently. We're a small community so try and keep it together, thanks.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I was also just told that another moderator on these forums (John Hawke) who was at those meetings heard my name was thrown in as supporting this program by Spot as well.

Bullshit. I heard/read your request from Scotty and abided by it. If you heard this from anyone, moderator or not, it was bullshit. In fact, I was asked why your name was not included in the team assembled, and I mentioned that I didn't think you'd support it as one of the multiple reasons you weren't part of the initial team (although I think you could have been a very valuable member). Call the president of the USPA himself; we had a lengthy discussion about why you weren't chosen to be on the team, because you *are* one of the most respected wingsuiters in the world.

I have no idea why Spot went through Scotty and just didn't call me himself.

Spot did call you. More than once. Phone records will bear that out. I figured you didn't want to talk to me, but I do know you'll respond to Scotty, so I asked Scotty to double check for me. I fully expected you at the meeting until the evening I arrived. Which is why in my email to you of 7/11/2009 I specifically commented "I've tried calling you a couple of times to chat about it."

I'm not the one that said we had all the manufacturers supporting us. I specifically mentioned FlyLikeBrick, some of the PF people, and some of the BMI people. That was it. I don't know who labelled you a "Birdman guy" because as far as I know, Z-Flock has no brand affiliations.

Seems to me that many words presented at the BOD meeting were taken out of context and churned into something else, so my last word on it here is that the document we presented is online. I'm certain most of those posting here did not/have not read it.
Those that are bitching the most/loudest don't teach.

No Chuck, people aren't entitled to their "own definition of the terms intellectual property and plagiarism." The words carry very specific meanings and parameters of determination. If you truly wanna go down *that* road, I wouldn't happy to do so but have no fear in going there. Even if I had ever seen any thing you'd ever written or had been taught by you, it still wouldn't come into play.
As Jeff Donohue (attorney) would probably support, I'm easily as strong on the subjects of copyright, IP, and plagiarism as you are on wingsuiting. You're not the first to make this claim, BTW. Apparently we stole it from someone else other than you, too. How many people wrote "the original wingsuit training bible?:S

Y'all can call it a "personal agenda" (but not have the balls to identify what that might mean) but hopefully most are intelligent enough to see it for what it is; a problem that needs some sort of resolution. The solution my team provided might not be the ultimate solution, but like those that created the AFF program, the organized S/L program, the organized IAD program, Campos getting wingsuiting into the SIM, and everyone else that has ever proposed change....it's a step in the right direction.
At least we're doing something, which is more than most can say.

If you'd really have wanted to be at the BOD meeting, you'd have been there. I was there. Against doctors orders, barely able to stand, still paying the price for having attended, sucked up the ridiculously high cost of airfair to Dallas with 24 hours notice, special hotel room considerations for a handicapped person (which carry unique rates), missing *my* family that had flown into see me that weekend, fucked up Coumadin levels, and a whole lot more I'm not gonna bother to explain.
If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse. If any of you dare think I exaggerate, ask Scotty, Callantine, Shorb, Greybeard, or anyone else that saw me before I left and after I returned. I've paid the price here on DZ.com, in the hospital, and now at home. The three-day event traveling from Utah to Texas has set me back at least two weeks in recovery time and is ending up requiring an extra surgury.
I believe in the program my team and I submitted, and did whatever I felt was necessary to see it through. If some of you want to see that conviction as something as shallow as a "personal agenda...." then I guess it's a good demonstration of who I'd want to have my back should I ever need it. To the converse, most of you you already know I'd be right there with you if you needed me.

A good friend advised me that I should STFU at this point and concern myself with healing my body so on this subject I'm going to do my best to take her advice.
~Meow

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

This is exactly why your ratings and regulations won't work. Those who want it badly enough will find a way ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Jeez, Spot, not only you are the D/L King, but the Drama Queen as well! Thus, representing a complete Royal family all by yourself. ;)

At least we're doing something, which is more than most can say.

You will make the wingsuit world better by doing nothing. What's happening now with all this "Tonysuits-F**ckU" tsunami of shit is purely disgusting.

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

blah dee blah blah blah
howzat?
how are you glenn?
hope all is well!
you guys are a scream!
i exceeded the posted speed limit
on my way to the dz this morning!
someone could have felt violated
i think we need more cops
to protect me from people like me.
or not.
maybe we should continue to be free
to make decisions for ourselves.
yeah, that sounds better.
being fearful could really hamper one's ability to live.
well anyway have a nice day.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Like I said, seems excessive to me, but if it's what that instructor feels is needed to ensure the safety of the student then it does trump any other opinion.

That's not true. An instructor can't put other people in the plane at risk for some silly "think of the students!" brain fart. If a TM can't handle a tandem student safely unless he has a mile clearance of everything else in the sky he has zero business hauling meat.

But that's a DZO call in any case and as fun jumpers all we can really do is vote with our dollars.

I mean, there's nothing at all wrong with reasonable requirements and wishes, but I think we all know many times in this sport you're dealing with ego issues, not safety issues.

whoever is suppose to be moderating this shit is not doing anyone any favours letting stuff get so out of hand and off thread.

No rules broken that I'm aware of. I'm not here to prevent people making fools of themselves. The thread has already been split in an attempt to separate the flybys and the WSI parts. A further split wouldn't help and I'm not about to start censoring for no real reason.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live