The111

Wingsuits on Discovery Channel 7/23

$$$

I've thought about it some more and while I would prefer that what we do isn't regarded as a dangerous stunt I understand that what we do can be an expensive activity ... so do your thing.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

To many people outisde skydiving, a normal jump (sans wingsuit) is already a stunt.
When they name something dangerous, we say its a calculated risk that can be minimised by proper training and experience. They just hear you say 'blablabla...Im a dangerous suicidal freak' and will gladly watch the same youtube clip again and again, hoping for a few frames of death and mayhem.

On skydivingmovies.com I see terms like death/accident etc being among the most popular searches...its human nature...:)
You can try fighting it...but really...dont bother...:)

Death defying stunts, plunging to death (anyone wanting to try..come see my toilet in my new house) and daredevils....thats what we are..thats what we do...
Its media...not the real world ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Do you really want people thinking that what we do is a dangerous stunt?

I am a real, actual skydiver... not an ignorant whuffo.

Guess what the first thought was that went through my head when I saw Zach collide with Scott? I was extremely concerned for two good friends of mine, and I wasn't sure both of them were going to be ok. What does that tell you about how dangerous our hobby is?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Guess what the first thought was that went through my head when I saw Zach collide with Scott? I was extremely concerned for two good friends of mine, and I wasn't sure both of them were going to be ok. What does that tell you about how dangerous our hobby is?

I understand it's dangerous ... but a stunt?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

hahah.. i came out on discovery channel and i didnt even get to see it live!!!

thanks for the footage.. and those were some awesome jumps...
I was on the load where Bland got taken out and the video looks a lot more hardcore than it did in person... I think we have all seen these kind of things happen before.. some worse some not.. I am very happy that Scott and Zack are ok as i expected them to be...

great footage though.. the comentary did suck.. but it gives you a good perspective on how to treat the rest of the discovery channels shows...
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I understand it's dangerous ... but a stunt?

Well, they talked about us as a group of friends attempting an organized formation (with certain obvious risks) led/organized by Scott Bland, our fearless leader. :D What about that isn't true? Stunt vs sport comes down to semantics and linguistics.

I have always been of the opinion that there are two things that stand out about skydiving as an activity: it is incredibly beautiful and incredibly dangerous. Now, when I tell my friends about why I skydive, I focus on the beauty.... while the questions they always ask focus on the dangers. Honestly, that's a good thing. The last thing we want is people approaching the sport thinking it's a walk in the park. At the same time, I would have liked it if the Discovery piece had focused on the beauty of it all a little more. I knew they wouldn't, so I slipped them a Trojan horse: I made sure they would air some of my most beautiful footage (coastal shots from Puerto Rico), so that viewers would be unable to not notice the beauty of it all. I had dozens of my whuffo friends from work watch this show, and they all came back to me with lots of positive comments about how pretty the beach looked and how cool and fun wingsuit flying sounded. Only one person even asked about the dangers, and his question was, "were you actually scared when you saw that happen, or did you know it was under control?" Which shows that even he saw through the dramatic overtones of the presentation, to the point that he was surprised when I said that, yes, I was scared for the people in the collision.

Tell you what: when you own a TV network that is willing to promote wingsuit skydiving in a light that both you and I would agree is positive... I'll give you a fair deal on some footage. And that goes for any other TV network executives reading this thread. Until then, I will take what I can get.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The clip made wingsuiting seem cool, dangerous, fun, full of great visuals, participated by a bunch a guys worried about one of their own and led by a fearless leader who pushes through his own injuries for the good of the flock.

Is is exaggerated as hell? Yeah, but it's still pretty good shit and doesn't at all dis the sport.