The111

Wingsuits on Discovery Channel 7/23

As I recall, the second burble and collapse was on a different jump. ---- ??

Nope, I am 99% sure it is actually from the same jump (would have to go review the footage again to be sure). They did show a few different jumps, like the "pyramid" (diamond) over the beach, which they tried to make look like part of the same jump. But the 3-way collision (wasn't that you and Turtle and Danny Mattox?) was from the same jump as Scott and Zach's collision. I was surprised too when I realized that, when I was looking through footage to send them.

Too much funny stuff in the commentary. I'm gonna have to listen to it again at some point just for a laugh. Props to Scott for the good interviews.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

No worries Scott,...They showed you as the wounded hero,... returning to lead your flock to safety despite all of them being stunned by the loss of their leader and "in complete dissaray" I have not felt that inspired since I watched Wallace motivate his men in Bravehart....

In the years to come,...wing suit flock leaders will be heard to say" "You folllowed with Bland,...Now follow with me" !

( you are sorta a big red target out there framed by the white wings of an angel waiting for the unknown)
That does take guts!
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

the second 'collision' was on the same jump after it rebuilt from the first one.
Nice to see all our video made it in there. I'm actually surprised what they used or rather didn't use. I did like how some people landed on the beach and some people didn't:D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Yeah, that second "death defying" collision was the same jump. It was me, some guy wearing a similiar suit as me to my left, and some red dude. I would like to thank Scott Bland for telling me to pull my chute when he felt that the stunt was getting too dangerous. Had he not, I don't know what would have happened :D:D.

P.S.: I never knew that wingsuiting was more dangerous than skydiving...:o

the second 'collision' was on the same jump after it rebuilt from the first one.
Nice to see all our video made it in there. I'm actually surprised what they used or rather didn't use. I did like how some people landed on the beach and some people didn't:D

Yeh, they didn't use any of yours, did they? [:/] That sucks...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

When I saw the disarray you guys were in, there was no alternative but to call off the stunt and order you to open ... that's just the way I roll ...:)
Oh man, you've got to listen to the announcers commentary through the whole show. I don't know how he reads that stuff with a straight face. Someone needs to re-watch it and quote him on the Superman/kryptonite reference ... that was pretty funny. But still, they got most of the facts right, if a little garbled.

And if my heroics can somehow inspire Stoney, then that makes it all worthwhile ... :)
Scott

I just watched this again and noticed that every time they showed the collision (and the second collision) they dubbed over the audio with sounds of somebody screaming in pain with wind noise going by. It sounded familiar to me... I am almost positive they stole it from Jade's canopy collision that they aired a few weeks ago (link in OP)... look at around 0:54 in that Youtube video... that is the sound they used.

Lame.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is this segment up on YouTube yet?

Scott

I have it on my DirecTV DVR, and if anybody can tell me how to get it off there I will be more than happy to share it. I will figure it out eventually on my own, I know it is possible but I do not expect it to be easy. I will get to it in a few days when I have some time to really mess with it. They are also supposed to be sending me a DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else put it on Youtube before that though.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just watched this again and noticed that every time they showed the collision (and the second collision) they dubbed over the audio with sounds of somebody screaming in pain with wind noise going by. It sounded familiar to me... I am almost positive they stole it from Jade's canopy collision that they aired a few weeks ago (link in OP)... look at around 0:54 in that Youtube video... that is the sound they used.

Lame.

It's no ding on you or the others, as the footage used is good. I thought Bland's interview was well done, it's just a shame that the show sensationalized the footage the way that they did. [:/]
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's no ding on you or the others, as the footage used is good. I thought Bland's interview was well done, it's just a shame that the show sensationalized the footage the way that they did. [:/]

You're just mad that they exposed your secret weakness.

"When mortals play superman, gravity is their kryptonite." :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You're just mad that they exposed your secret weakness.

"When mortals play superman, gravity is their kryptonite." :o

HAHA... Actually it's having to have Bland call the stunt off and tell me to pull my chute. :ph34r:
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

why do we continue to deal with the media?

$$$

I'm a whore.

And, as much as we laugh at the silly announcer, they got almost all their facts right in a mis-guided sort of way.

"the most dangerous formation of all - the stack!"

Probably came from Scott explaining the risks of the stack with the in-line burbles. It is indeed a unique risk that none of the other formations shared.

"the fearless leader instructed his companions to abort the dive and pull their chutes"

Well, he signaled breakoff, which is pretty much exactly that.

The list goes on.

They used the wrong words and added a bunch of unnecessary drama. But there are still enough people in this world who don't know what a wingsuit is, that any exposure is better than none.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

... that any exposure is better than none.

We will have to agree to disagree. Do you really want people thinking that what we do is a dangerous stunt?

Is that really such a bad thing? That is part of what draws people to our sport. Once we have them in the folds, it's our job to teach them and give them the tools to be safe.

$$$

I'm a whore.

And a cheap one at that, Matt....?

I hope you didn't give any the footage for free, and cover the overnight shipping from your own pocket, like you did last time?
Footage of Zach's bad flying should draw good cash! :D:D

I'm glad Scott was ok with that one..... :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

But there are still enough people in this world who don't know what a wingsuit is, that any exposure is better than none.

You took the words right outta Berry Gordie's mouth.
Overall, I thought the piece was nicely done, and edited much the way my team would have edited it. If it bleeds it leads and this one had great setups all over it.
Scott comes off very powerfully on camera, making it that much easier to build climax points.

Having been on that crashtastic jump, my observation is that the editing didn't do it justice.

For example, the narrator says: "... the most dangerous formation of all - the stack!" But that's not really accurate at all, is it? He should have said: "the most dangerous formation of all - the stack with Zach on top and distracted by something shiney..." ;)

(Just kidding, Zach, you know I
But it makes me wonder if I should send in video I took of a couple of rodeos we did this weekend. I can see it now...

[cue rodeo video]
NARRATOR'S OMINOUS VOICE: The young female skydiver, terrified to pull her chute at such a great height, clings to the back of a wingsuited skydiver who flies her to safety...

Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork