The111

Wingsuits on Discovery Channel 7/23

Next week there will be a small wingsuit segment on a Discovery channel show called "Moments of Impact." It will air on Discovery and DiscoveryHD, Thursday 7/23 @ 9pm EDT (8pm CDT, 9pm MDT, 8pm PDT, I believe).

The segment will include a few different perspectives of Scott Bland and Zach Schroedel's "death-defying" (quotation marks intentional) aerial collision in Puerto Rico 2008. Scott should also get some face time on the show as I understand they flew a camera crew to his house to interview him!

The show in general is more than a little bit sensationalized... we've all seen them. (For example, riding a bicycle in a shark tank). It apparently had its first season last year with a different name, called "Adrenaline Rush Hour." I've never seen the show but I found some clips from last year online:

Kiteboarder vs Steel Pier (actually painful and scary)
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/moments-of-impact-kiteboarder-vs-steel-pier.html

Monster Truck Flip (just dumb... no seatbelt and he JUMPED out of the window)
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/moments-of-impact-monster-truck-flip.html

Also, our very own Jade T. had some footage on the season premiere of the same show earlier this month (and his is much more worthy of truly being labeled "death defying").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCPiv3jpqyk

Hopefully they don't change the date again. It was originally scheduled for 7/16 but they changed it supposedly because of some Billy Mays special. Stay tuned to this thread for updates if necessary.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That is too funny. I remember watching that happen, being about 20 feet to their left. It surely was a "death defying moment" :D:D

I think you had your own 3 (or 4?) way "death defying burble funnel" near the end of that same jump. I sold that footage too since it was in the same jump, not sure if it will air as B-roll.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

"Jade pulls his ripcord..."

OMG, when the fuck are they going to get into their heads that 70's with the ripcords are over and that we now use Pilot Chutes!!!! B|

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

That is too funny. I remember watching that happen, being about 20 feet to their left. It surely was a "death defying moment" :D:D

I think you had your own 3 (or 4?) way "death defying burble funnel" near the end of that same jump. I sold that footage too since it was in the same jump, not sure if it will air as B-roll.

should be interesting to see what they air, they got all the angles from that jump. but since we've all seen it a couple times, i bet some of the funniest stuff will be Scott's interview.... " so is that Zach guy crazy?"
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

should be interesting to see what they air, they got all the angles from that jump. but since we've all seen it a couple times, i bet some of the funniest stuff will be Scott's interview.... " so is that Zach guy crazy?"

Scott has promised me he says the words "Pink Mike" on camera. Can't wait to see if that is true...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

"Jade pulls his ripcord..."

OMG, when the fuck are they going to get into their heads that 70's with the ripcords are over and that we now use Pilot Chutes!!!! B|

And when are newer jumpers going to look into the gear they jump a bit more and learn some more about what is what;):P
Even when you use a ripcord, there is still a pilotchute. Ripcords also are not a thing of the 70s.
Quite a few people (especially those on SL progression) start on ripcords. I would venture a guess, and say that over 50% of the smaller EU DZ's operate with ripcord systems.

I think ripcords will also come back into fashion for our dicipline once wingsizes have grown to such an insane span, its impossible to reach around them any longer ;)
I know Yvess Rossy and Felix (not the cat! the other one) are using ripcords on their (hard) wings. As are the SkyRay peeps.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Don't forget every skydiver who jumps modern dual parachute equipment... I sure love having a ripcord available on my reserve ;)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

And when are newer jumpers going to look into the gear they jump a bit more and learn some more about what is what;):P
Even when you use a ripcord, there is still a pilotchute. Ripcords also are not a thing of the 70s.
Quite a few people (especially those on SL progression) start on ripcords. I would venture a guess, and say that over 50% of the smaller EU DZ's operate with ripcord systems.

I think ripcords will also come back into fashion for our dicipline once wingsizes have grown to such an insane span, its impossible to reach around them any longer ;)
I know Yvess Rossy and Felix (not the cat! the other one) are using ripcords on their (hard) wings. As are the SkyRay peeps.

Yeah that's indeed true, for example the DZ I jump here in UK uses ripcords with spring loaded pilot chutes for the SL progressing students..

But still, the main trend of calling what the skydiver pulls should be a PC and not a ripcord these days..

Someone should educate the media on what they say on the reports or don't allow to use the photo/video material if they don't :P

lol on the huge ws thing, I can't imagine how could you make anything bigger than Stealth2 or SuperMach1 that would effectively fly instead of becoming a small parachute between your limbs lol
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

lol on the huge ws thing, I can't imagine how could you make anything bigger than Stealth2 or SuperMach1 that would effectively fly instead of becoming a small parachute between your limbs lol

Its called the Tonysuit XS, and it flies very well

Someone should educate the media on what they say on the reports or don't allow to use the photo/video material if they don't :P

Good idea, thanks for volunteering. Let us know when you're finished.

:P
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Also, our very own Jade T. had some footage on the season premiere of the same show earlier this month (and his is much more worthy of truly being labeled "death defying").

Wow. I didn't know Jade did CReW, too... ;)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Wow. I didn't know Jade did CReW, too...

I'm surprised to hear Jade talking about "the other guy" who didn't back up. Even if you're planning to film an intentional cutaway, who's responsible for your skydive? Not the other guy. :P

Wow. I didn't know Jade did CReW, too...

I'm surprised to hear Jade talking about "the other guy" who didn't back up. Even if you're planning to film an intentional cutaway, who's responsible for your skydive? Not the other guy. :P

+1
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have no idea what anyone said (my role here is to make dumb jokes), but keep in mind that anything televised has been heavily edited. That often results in a lot of stuff being taken out of context, and key parts of the conversation (for all we know) could have been edited out...

We're quick to convene the lynch mob here on dropzone.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I have no idea what anyone said (my role here is to make dumb jokes), but keep in mind that anything televised has been heavily edited. That often results in a lot of stuff being taken out of context, and key parts of the conversation (for all we know) could have been edited out...

Haha...edited? You mean Im not doing wingsuit formation flying with a tandem here?
SHOCKED!

TV shows and editing...haha...cant be true;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've already seen the actual collision many times on the Discovery Channel as a very quick preview for tonights show... Great filming Matt.... as usual ---I'be watching and it's good to see you makin some side bucks off of your talent..... hopefullly you and Scotty can continue doing that. Hey Scotty??what did you ever do with that vid when I came flying over you when you were on your back looking up at me at Peperrall----that was probably a little scary.... and how the vid from Sebastian two years back when where Jeff rolls onto his back just I/1000 and 1 frame before Nick shot through the spot he was just at (at mach 2) ..... Scott Gray's arm and side bruises from Elsinore should make good B film too.
Like I said ,...I'll be watching. Thanks for the heads up...:ph34r:

I never saw that Jade vid before ,...OMG sooo glad they stayed calm did their thing and both lived.

Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

I can't wait to see how bad they make me look! Who knows how they cut/pasted the interview ...

Interviews and videos were GREAT ---- the commentary ... HHMMM --- LOL BS. :)

Glad we were told to pull our chutes. :)

As I recall, the second burble and collapse was on a different jump. ---- ??

Scott --- it looked bad in the air, looked bad on the video in PR, and same on TV ----- still glad all were okay.

Well done with the interview.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com