greybeard

USPA Recomendation for Jump numbers

I vote that minimum freefall jumps be 1,000 before any respectable wingsuiter instructs a fellow skydiver on his initial wingsuit flight.

Tunnel time should NOT apply. Reasons are obvious to me.

200 to 500 seams crazy low time for understanding the nuances involved. Might also consider requiring 100 crw jumps prior. Proficient freefly and particularly tracking skills also weigh big time.

How's that for 'hard line'.

Further comment: !,000 jump minimum requirement ends alot of the pissing duels about low numbers and quality athletes, and buddies, and all such bullroar. The margine for discrepency gets blurred to a comfortable and acceptable level. Remembering also that jump numbers and time in the sport are warped today, compared to old standards.

How much credit or responsibility is aimed at a mentor/instructor/advocate/salesman when, the object student is a 'Jay Stokes', or 'Brian Burke', or 'Dan B.C.'

Extreme examples, sure. Why expose yourself to any ridiculously obvious dangerous examples.

Set the BSR bar high and insulate yourself from high risk. Insulate the USPA population from high risk.

Granted, do what you want when I'm not looking. But when I'm looking, you do extra dilligence.

Further comment: !,000 jump inimum /reply]
For the first WS flight? I vote no.
200/500 is fine by me.
Don't forget that some have done fine with less.
My suggestion is to make 200 a rule and stick with it. Forget the rest. Keep it simple.

But what do I know?

Hey as long as those rules dont apply before someone can do their first wingsuit base jump it sounds good to me!

Neeh..in base its quite a thing of the past to actually have some experience before you try and do the cool stuff the other kids are doing;)

Proxiflying a wingsuit on your first basejump ever should be the norm..everyone else is just a pussie;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I thought the only rule for BASE is "Don't die." If you do die, clean up your mess so you don't burn the site.

Learn the secret coyote whistle, because they will GLADLY clean up your mistakes.

The only problem is , numbers mean nothing. Skillset should be evaluated individually.

You are dead wrong, brother. No amount of YouTube viewing and lieing in your logbook is going to prepare you for that first real-bad spinner opening (which you would likely have encountered in the "normal" minimum of 500 actual skydives. If you think "experience" is all you need to do well in a wingsuit, you probably ought to have a discussion with AFF course director Bram Clement or "master of big-way" Carl Daugherty on how "great" a time they had on some of their introductory jumps. Both guys had over 10,000 jumps when they found out the real answer.

No amount of YouTube viewing and lieing in your logbook is going to prepare you for that first real-bad spinner opening.

I'm not following you here - how are you suppose to acquire skills from these activities ?

If you think "experience" is all you need to do well in a wingsuit, you probably ought to have a discussion with AFF course director Bram Clement or "master of big-way" Carl Daugherty on how "great" a time they had on some of their introductory jumps. Both guys had over 10,000 jumps when they found out the real answer.

My point exactly. numbers do not equal skills.

My point exactly. numbers do not equal skills.

Yes, however the odds of people getting FUBAR drops significantly when the bar is raised where jump number and/or time in sport are concerned. That's one reason we use it as criteria for being an instructor.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The only problem is , numbers mean nothing. Skillset should be evaluated individually.

Is there some way to lock out people from posting in the wingsuit forum who have:

>200 jumps or
>18 months in the sport or
>300 posts or
-no name or location disclosed or
-argue for sub 200 jump requirements

I mean really.... all of the above criteria lead me to believe you are:
-a troll or
-a lawyer fishing for legal material or
-a hot shot who thinks that all that came before him are idiots, and that rules do not apply to you

Get out and jump or at least grow a pair and fess up to who you are before picking arguments with the most experienced wingsuiters in the sport.

Is there some way to lock out people from posting in the wingsuit forum who have:

>200 jumps or
>300 posts or

did you mean <200 and <18 months? Or would you prefer only the inexperienced post here?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

>200 jumps or
>300 posts or

did you mean

i think people should be locked out who dont get the difference between > and <.. alt=":|" data-emoticon="true" height="20" src="/uploads/emoticons/mellow.png" srcset="/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":|" width="20">

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I think we should take the wingsuit forum offline for a month, and see if the universe will cease to exist:P

but then i cant post that 12+ minutes jump i did from 4k! :o
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Please allow me to clarify. The original post stated a jump number "hard line " of 1000. (I'm not advocating sub 200 or 500 jump numbers here either, which for some reason everyone seems to have automatically assumed )
I 'm just saying the skillset should be evaluated individually . Yeah, let's go for a RW, freefly and a track jump and see just how heads up you are. I just think numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Of course the percentages go up with numbers, but don't we owe it to ourselves to be that much better ?