bdrake529

Euro BASE June 2009

I went to Europe and all I got was a Team Ill Vision shirt.

But I don't even have that since I had to use it as a field bandage. Sorry Avery, it was either ruin the t-shirt or bleed out.

Ok, the scar on my arm isn't the only thing I brought back. I did get some decent video too. If anyone's interested, I posted it (in 10 parts) here:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/107542

Start with "Euro BASE June 2009" clip and then use the playlist on the right to watch the remaining segments in order. Or watch them in your own order. Or don't watch at all. It won't hurt my feelings.

The BASE³ segment is my first (presentable) experiment with 3D (anaglyph) videography. You'll need Red/Blue (or Red/Cyan) glasses to view. You can find them cheap online (a few bucks on Amazon, or less than a buck if you search elsewhere) or Google how to make your own. As explained in the notes for that video, Vimeo compression degrades the 3D effect, so best to use the temporary (until July 11) download of the source video (in the bottom right of the page). Anyone know a site that will permanently host a 900mb file for free?

Enjoy.
Brian Drake

I went to Europe and all I got was a Team Ill Vision shirt.

But I don't even have that since I had to use it as a field bandage. Sorry Avery, it was either ruin the t-shirt or bleed out.

If the shirt saved your life and will bring you continued peace, love and happiness, then the shirt served it's purpose. There is another one waiting for you when we see you again. ;)

Team Ill Vision
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

cool stuff.

For 3D, maybe try doing a red/green anaglyph version. Which is more standard for eu. viewers as well. You loose the hint of colour you keep with the cyan/red, but because its slightly stronger colours, the compression doesn wash it out as much as the cyan, and you keep the added depth when uploading to YouTube. We did some of this stuff with TopGun a few years back, and even heavy compression didnt seem to bother in terms of keeping the 3d effect. And Ive been doing a lot of (non-anaglyph, but normal polaroid colour) camerawork, animation and visual effects for more recent 3D cinema stuff with work (including some skydiving stuff we're shooting for an amusement park ride-film) and we always use anaglyph 3D for previewing. Red/Green seems to work even in heavily compressed vids.

Did you use paralel setup, or set distance paralax on your cams? Both techniques work, but the first one needs a bit more work in post usually. As depending on the line-up of your camera, your video will need shifting to put the paralax at the correct distance (to not get a headache from eye-strain) throughout the shots.

Shoot me a pm if you need any help.

Cheers,
J
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

When shooting the stereoscopic footage, did you turn off image stabilization in the cameras? The video is rather strenuous on the eyes and I believe the main reason is the vertical parallax. If the image stabilization in the two cameras isn't synchronized the vertical parallax will not be zero at all times. I've attached a couple of images to show what I mean with vertical parallax.

I would also try to turn both cameras slightly inwards to put everything at or behind the stereo window.

Cool footage though :)Hopefully we'll see more 3D-footage in the future.
HD + 3D + 60fps should be the standard ;)

- Erlend -

When shooting the stereoscopic footage, did you turn off image stabilization in the cameras?

Yea..that one severly Fks up the 3D severly. Like someone is poking into your eyeballs independant of eachother.

I would also try to turn both cameras slightly inwards to put everything at or behind the stereo window.

This is not needed for 3D stereoscopic shooting.
Only when shooting stuff within a set focal distance (close) this is the method to use. But for most stuff (and Id dare say, non professional stuff, where you dont spend more than an hour before a jump checking cam allignments), a completely paralel setup is what works best (even for stuff up to 1 meter in front of the camera).

HD + 3D + 60fps should be the standard Wink

Theoreticly, when shooting 1080i, you are shooting 60 (half-res) fps...

Being limited to online anaglyph display is the only limitation. The dual projector polaroid system is a much cooler way to see this stuff.
But for webbased (and preview) stuff, its quite a cool thing to see.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Brian was wingsuit flying when I did AFF; he was an instant hero for me, but still so friendly and willing to talk to me. I saw the light in his eyes as he talked about flying, and couldn't wait to follow in his footsteps.
Last year I saw him fly with a broken leg better than many with 2 good legs, quietly doing what had to be done to do a tough job. Still, he took time to remember me and let me fly with him. The footsteps got bigger and further apart.
Now that I've seen this video, Brian has surpassed where I even dare to go. Sir, you are a giant among us. I honor your contribution to wingsuiting, and advancement of the sport.
But what do I know?

I never jump with stabilization turned on.

The completely uncompressed (or rather Apple Intermediate Codec, I know it's not "uncompressed") footage works great for me. Sure, it's not perfect, and some shots work better than others. But I don't experience any retinal rivalry and can watch over and over without any eyestrain. From a distance of about 4-5 feet from the screen, I get a strong 3D effect. I've had people who are afraid of heights stop watching because the sense of depth overwhelmed them. So I think I'm on the right path. At least for my non-professional application of this technology.

But I'm still new to this and figuring a lot out. This BASE^3 segment shared was a first attempt at "broadcasting" what I've had fun showing people in person. As I get more experienced at the technical setup, and flying camera better, the result will be better.

I'm also experimenting with different colored glasses to preserve color values better. As Jarno pointed out, if I had my own controlled environment (dual projectors), I could get "perfect" 3D. But for mass-distribution, colored glasses are the only thing that makes sense.
Brian Drake

Ed, you are MUCH too kind and though I appreciate the sentiment, it's hyperbole.

I'm no giant. I'm still a fledgling, clumsily trying to follow in the footsteps of those who are truly giants in this sport.

I'm actually also very impressed by guys like you. When I met you, the AFF student, you had a one track mind: I'm going to fly wingsuits. When I saw video of your first flight not long (relatively) after, it was very satisfying to see you achieve your goal.
Brian Drake