travisjones

The "Phat Bird"

Did your suit tear along a stitch line?

Open up the stitches per inch. Your stitches are very small (many holes per inch) and they just don't need to be that tight.

You're basically perforating the material. You could get away with 7-ish stitches per inch and as long as you use E thread it will be plenty strong. It will also allow you to sew faster.

It will also be a hell of a lot easier to rip apart for changes or repairs.

Less stitches per inch can also mean less bunching.

Great looking project though!

Thanks, Yeah that was the issue on the first one. I was using a shit machine and that was the only way i could get it to sew. I upgraded to a double needle with walking foot and i am doing about 7 per inch now and using e thread. Ill be posting more pics at the end of the week.

I decided to make my own because it is something i have always wanted to do. There were a bunch of people who were convinced that i couldnt build one so i did. It is really rewarding jumping your own creation. Def not cheaper. I could have bought two new suits for the amount of time and money i have already spent getting to the point im at.

I decided to make my own because it is something i have always wanted to do. There were a bunch of people who were convinced that i couldnt build one so i did. It is really rewarding jumping your own creation. Def not cheaper. I could have bought two new suits for the amount of time and money i have already spent getting to the point im at.

For some of us the joy is in the creative process. The creation itself can oftentimes be secondary. My problem is actually finishing things that I start, so keep that momentum up! :)

Blam, Here is the first jump i did on my new suit, The Buzzard,My friend filming was in a v-3 and had a little trouble keeping up with the forward speed. I didn't have any issue with the wings flapping. Everything stayed pressurized and started flying fast. No issues with suit rip-page at all. I jumped it a second time last week with no video. i plan on getting a few in this weekend. Ill upload new video as i get it.
http://www.dropzone.com/videos/Wing_Suits/Flight_of_The_Buzzard_1688.html

Missed out man, I got one in on Sunday. Jumped with a V-2 had a fun fast flock. Managed to stay with each other pretty good. Working on getting the video from the Granny tranny i jumped with. Plan on doing some more jumps this weekend. I am also ordering on of these http://www.semsons.com/wiwbbldalogp.html Once i get it i should be able to get some gps data to upload. If anyone suggest using a better gps unit let me know. ANyways So far the suit has held up well and all the wings have stayed pressurized and solid. It has alot of power and range, im just still trying to find the sweet spots in the suit. It has performed far better than i ever expected. I will have some better video and hopefully flight data soon.
Later

Great to see you so active on this one..
Looking forward to seeing the flight data. The suit looked nice in videos.
Definately a cool project!

Just give a shout if there is anything to show for wingsuitnews.com again!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks, The design and building process has taken a lot of my time and sanity away, but i am starting to get both back with each successful jump i make. Anyways I just ordered the Wintec WBT-202. I should have it in a few days. We will see how good it works. I am going to try to make some more jumps in the suit this weekend. I will def keep everyone posted with my progress.

I got one in on Sunday. Jumped with a V-2 had a fun fast flock. Managed to stay with each other pretty good. Working on getting the video from the Granny tranny i jumped with.

Bitch please - some of have a job and will get you the video when I have time -- not the greatest of video as I haven't jump a wingsuit in six months so as I was flying circles around you I didn't focus on the video :P

But I am impressed - your suit inflates awesome and for your size (think 16 lb bowling ball) you flying all out would be a perfect bigway base if your into that thing as your forward speed is good and 65 mph decent rate (Protrack)

I more than likely will not get you the video until this weekend - sorry bitch

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

It all good im getting some p90x and climbing more towers. ill be a 12lb bowling ball in no time. Then ill fly by and cock slap you across the face. Blam. It was only my third jump on it give me a few more and lets see what happens. Plus i have a new gps thing sitting right in front of me and im trying to figure it out so i can jump it this weekend. I just want the video to look at whenever it no big deal. Now get back to the corner hoe!

Alright at the DZ and got two more jumps in my suit again today. Was hoping to get more but our otter had a issue. Anyways, This is the google earth file and excel spread sheet from the first jump i did this morning. I was flying good on the crosswind leg, then when i turned back i realized if i kept flying at the same angle i was going to pass up the dz. My fault , i was jumping with some one and he spotted us to close. Anyways i put myself in more of a dive as you can tell. The second jump went better but my gps lost the signal and didnt pick back up till 6500' for some reason. Anyways. I found the sweet spot on the last one. Going to do some more jumps and upload data as soon as i do. A few more flights and im confident that the numbers will drastically improve.