JohnnyScience

Seems like it will take so long and cost so much, I'll never get to experience a WingSuit

I've recently just seen a video on wingsuits.

Amazing.

I've never wanted to fly/skydive/paraglide more in my life than after seeing a video of wingsuits.

Now I really want to make a real effort on this.

I want to scuba and wingsuit. I want those to be two of my main hobbies in life.

I realize this is going to be a very expensive life long hobby if you do it.

I understand you need the proper training as your life is in your hands and its nothing to cut short.

But it just seems like such a far off goal.

I mean its ten's of thousands of dollars for all of the gear needed.

Its tens of thousands of dollars for the training and all of the jumps.

And to get to 2-500 jumps seems like it would take 5 years before you hit that number.

How can one afford to jump 200 jumps in 18 months?

I mean... that is a god awful amount of money.

I've recently just seen a video on wingsuits.

Amazing.

Yeah.

And to get to 2-500 jumps seems like it would take 5 years before you hit that number.

Might do, might not.

Commitment.

Yeah.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If you start with the mindset that you'll never experience a wingsuit, then you probably won't.

But it just seems like such a far off goal.

Getting there can be quite a wonderful journey, too... Don't need to get so fixated on just the end result.

Depends how important it is to you and how much you're willing to sacrifice in the process.
It is YOU who sets your goals... If you are motivated enough, it's doable.

Now get your ass off the couch and go make a jump.

Allow me to quote Tupac Shakur: "Work is fo suckas." All the cool kids start wingsuit at 120 jumps. The even cooler kids start wingsuit at 120 jumps AND do it solo without a first flight course. I guess the question is "How cool do you want to be?"

Skip on the scuba...costs to much money and time you could spend jumping.
The cost of scuba gear alone is enough to get through AFF ;)

Become a hardcore diver or become a hardcore skydiver/wingsuit flyer.
Or do both half-assed ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

better start paragliding - some disciplines of the sport are about as exciting as wingsuit flying but it is much cheaper than skydivingB| of course, if you live close to mountains and a lake/sea - otherwise you'll need lots of money for traveling:P

Allow me to quote Tupac Shakur: "Work is fo suckas." All the cool kids start wingsuit at 120 jumps. The even cooler kids start wingsuit at 120 jumps AND do it solo without a first flight course. I guess the question is "How cool do you want to be?"

I dont want to rush anything and not be safe.

But if you can wingsuit at 120 then thats even better!

You're right, if there are doubts, then it wont happen.

I'm not saying I cant do it... just what are the steps needed in order to really accomplished it?

Cant you do multiple jumps in a day?

Doesnt it get cheaper and cheaper per jump the more and more you do it?

I will for sure still do scuba. I love the reefs more than anything.

I should be able to do both some day with out half assing either one... which I would never do for many reasons.

I do need to get out there and just start jumping.

Hopefully over the next couple of months.

I'm making some moves to try and start up a website. And if it goes well, I will be able to do both scuba and sky diving easily :D

Our friend Matto was kidding about the 120. It really is 200 jumps minimum to even think about WS jumps. Multiple jumps a day is not only possible but standard. Many people do 5 to 10 a day (maybe more). Start jumping now and you can be flying by next summer! :)
P.S. In my first full year in the sport I did close to 1,000 jumps so racking up the jump numbers quickly is doable. Wingsuiting is worth it.....go for it!!!

Learn to pack and strike a deal with a DZ to do chores. You'll work hard, but jump hard as well.

FJC (static line) - couple hundred bucks
decent second hand gear - less than two thousand bucks
200 jumps - not even five thousand bucks (but you'll make money from packing)

becoming a DZ bum - priceless

You can be wingsuiting at the end of a single summer.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Dedication (and money) is what you need…
……with orthopaedic surgeons and physiotherapists as optional.

Having tried to balance uni, climbing, jumping and karate in the past and then work with sports things (plus relationships) took a long time for me. Let alone working away, commuting and then 3 years out with different accidents!!! I trained on static line because of limited time and needing to spread the cost but then had to buy all my personal kit. In 2003 I brought a second-hand rig, which has served me very well and has proved to be upgradeable in stages (i.e. container to be freefly friendly and then able to take a smaller canopy one day).

In the UK you used to be able to do your first static line jump as a charity jump, which I assume is still the case. Can you do AFF level 1 as a charity jump???? When you eventually get going you can by blocks of tickets to save a bit of money depending on the price of DZ beer.

I’ve learnt to FLY in France this year under French rules – minimum 150 jumps for the beginner suit:

http://www.ffp.asso.fr/IMG/pdf/Reglementation_WING_SUIT.pdf

Whatever the minimum jump numbers it will mean needing to reach a certain level in flying with other people in flat, sit or stand to get the required certificate or licence. Take time to do these steps right as they will give you a great advantage when it comes to wingsuiting, in my opinion (e.g. flying instinctively instead of constantly “seeing, thinking and reacting” in a stop-start manor). This will improve your safety, the safety of your fellow jumpers and enjoyment!
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

I should be able to do both some day with out half assing either one...:D

The reefs are nothing more than a fish toilet:D:D.

Seriously though you didn't fill out your profile with a location. Do you live near a large body of water that you can get to everyday after work, every weekend or several times a month? Or will you be one of those divers that just gets the rating to go to dive resorts a couple of times a year? Those make the worst divers. You got to be current!

Same thing applies to being a skydiver, exact same thing.

I should be able to do both some day with out half assing either one...:D

The reefs are nothing more than a fish toilet:D:D.

Seriously though you didn't fill out your profile with a location. Do you live near a large body of water that you can get to everyday after work, every weekend or several times a month? Or will you be one of those divers that just gets the rating to go to dive resorts a couple of times a year? Those make the worst divers. You got to be current!

Same thing applies to being a skydiver, exact same thing.

GRR :D

Right now I live in cleveland.

If this website venture goes well, I will be moving. I'm not sure where yet though.

I'm only gonna be a tropical diver, so I wont be able to go everyday by any means.

But I'd like to do it at least a few times a year.

Sure I can sky dive any where much easier, but wingsuiting is going to take a special place with mountains and valleys, so I'll be traveling either way.

Honestly when I plan the trips, i would like to make sure I can both scuba & wingsuit on a single trip/vacation.

It all starts with money. I hope the website works.

So how does the pricing work out in the begining when first signing up?

I assume the first several times are more expensive because of training

But how do you afford 10 jumps in a day?

How much is the 1st jump normally for the day and then how much is every jump after that for the day usually?

Dropzone jump prices range in the $22-27 per jump ( $15 for some select lucky bastards in central cal) depending on the DZ for experienced, already equipped jumpers.

Contact a dropzone near you ( or several ) to get a better idea what it will take you to go from walking in the door through to your A Licence.

Dropzone jump prices range in the $22-27 per jump ( $15 for some select lucky bastards in central cal) depending on the DZ for experienced, already equipped jumpers.

Contact a dropzone near you ( or several ) to get a better idea what it will take you to go from walking in the door through to your A Licence.

Thats honestly not bad I guess. I was thinking its like 200 each jump for some reason.

I suppose I should plan on spending around 3-400 for a full day of 10 jumps and equipment and training for the first few sessions?

There is a dropzone directory on the heading bar with info and links to the actual websites for the DZs near you.

Since it sounds like you don't have the money yet, there is no rush. Plenty of time to do research by searching these forums, their links, reviews and info. Search and research is your friend.

There are different methods to reach your A licence. But what is offered near you will be your options unless you travel for training. The costs vary slightly.

Yeah no rush really, I want to do it right.

I just need to get my feet wet.

I dont like heights, in fact I'm deathly afraid of them... but for some reason i dont think I am going to mind sky diving.

I just dont like being by the edge or something.

I assume this A licnese is what certifies me?

How long is it good for? Does it cost anything/require a test to get the actual license itself?

I'm going to recommend at this point that you spend some time searching the forums and making some calls to local dropzones. Search out the information your looking for as this forum is a huge database of info (with a search function). If you cant find the dedication to use some work on your part to educate youself in an area you have a lot of interest, you might find its more work than you're interested in, long before money comes in to play. By all means ask questions on the forum, as most people here are happy to help out, but a lot of these topics are covered 200 times over.

In the process of attempting to learn the answers to your questions, I guarantee you'll find answers to questions you didnt even know you had to ask.

I'm going to recommend at this point that you spend some time searching the forums and making some calls to local dropzones. Search out the information your looking for as this forum is a huge database of info (with a search function). If you cant find the dedication to use some work on your part to educate youself in an area you have a lot of interest, you might find its more work than you're interested in, long before money comes in to play. By all means ask questions on the forum, as most people here are happy to help out, but a lot of these topics are covered 200 times over.

In the process of attempting to learn the answers to your questions, I guarantee you'll find answers to questions you didnt even know you had to ask.

I feel that coming to DZ and posting on the forums is a great way for me to do the research.

I ask questions. I get answers and pointed in the right direction and read.

I'm familar with forums and how a search function works.

Are you familar with how question and answers on a public forum works?

No doubt you will see the same topic over and over if you are a regular on a forum. Its bound to happen.

Be happy I'm intersted in the sport and taking the right steps to find out how to achieve it.

I'm familar with forums and how a search function works.

Are you familar with how question and answers on a public forum works?

It doesn't work very well when the newbie gets tetchy with the person trying to give him good advice.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?